15w40 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case,all your posted ones are pretty good, IMHO.

I would go to the next step and pick the ones that are of reasonable price.

Q.

BTW: is Cloverdale swap meet open this weekend?

thanks,

I think the swap meet is open, usually . won't be for long though they are eventually tearing up the rink and surrounding buildings for a 5500 seat arena and convention center.

Redline may cost the most, but with that 6.0 and the oil shear it is capable of, and the Cummins with the added stress of your mods, it would be a great choice. (My personal favorite would be Schaeffers 15W-40 blend, a very tough and low-wear oil for a great price. Sorry, I could not resist) Amsoil, then RP. Actually all are good choices. Just curious how much are you paying for each of those?

Amsoil AME 15W40 is PAO based and tough as nails! It would afford a good deal of extended drain use in the stocker and take the abuse of your mod motor well. Have you thought about trying the Delvac 1 5W40? From what I here it is performing nicely in fleet testing.

bmwtechguy is correct about the shearing with the 6.0, and that makes redline my choice. I believe its POE based, with a little PAO. During the winter, I switch to the delvac 1 5w40-it gets friggin cold here, and where you're at even colder. Zero problems with either oil.

If cost is not an issue then I would use the Redline. If cost is an issue then RP is my choice. Amsoil is a good in between compromise. I am currently running a mix of Redline race oil and RP HDEO in my Excursion 7.3 PSD.

I've used the 5w40 Delvac and 5w40 delo with good results in the six. Summer is here and I figured I'd go with a 15 w40 syn.
I paid $145 CDN for 16 litres of Delvac1.
I paid $118 for 20 litres of Delo 5w40.(haven't had UOA yet)
Both were from the bulk dealer.

I think the Redline and royal Purple are priced about the same last time I checked(2 years ago) and are both easy to get, the Amsoil is kind of a pain to order.

Don't worry about the Delo 5W40...I think its a total sleeper that most people casually disregard mostly because it is difficult to find. May not be 100% PAO like D1, but I don't think it is any lesser of a product.
You can check my UOA of it if you wish.

I guess Delo is a little more expensive in BC, I got 6 gallons at the UFA a while back for about what you paid for 20L...in case you are ever in AB, Sushibar.

I use Amsoil 15w-40 Marine/Diesel application.....VERY good oil. Redline is good for the shearing aspect and so is Amsoil. I wouldn't put RP in my lawnmower......my 2 cents.

To those of you recommending Red Line 15W-40...why? It's notorious for elevated soft metal wear readings as evidenced by UOA's. I've run it in two prior trucks and was completely underwhelmed.

The shearing issues that the 6.0 PSD is known for doesn't produced elevated wear. I say run a well known off the shelf brand and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
To those of you recommending Red Line 15W-40...why? It's notorious for elevated soft metal wear readings as evidenced by UOA's. I've run it in two prior trucks and was completely underwhelmed.

The shearing issues that the 6.0 PSD is known for doesn't produced elevated wear. I say run a well known off the shelf brand and you will be fine.

I thought last time you used it your wear metals were pretty good save for the copper issue? Were you wear metals less than acceptable?

Doesn't it also happen sometimes (and with Redline) that a spike in lead and copper can arise from a change in chemistry?

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

I thought last time you used it your wear metals were pretty good save for the copper issue? Were you wear metals less than acceptable?

I can't remember, to be honest with you. I've even run RL out at longer that usual intervals (20K miles) with a lot of makeup oil and the soft metal wear was still outrageously high. I'm not convinced that the "polyol ester base stock is just cleaning oxidation" is valid. I'll stick with an oil that doesn't make me guess and play what if games.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

I can't remember, to be honest with you. I've even run RL out at longer that usual intervals (20K miles) with a lot of makeup oil and the soft metal wear was still outrageously high. I'm not convinced that the "polyol ester base stock is just cleaning oxidation" is valid. I'll stick with an oil that doesn't make me guess and play what if games.

You've certainly got a point there..."I'll stick with an oil that doesn't make me guess and play what if games."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back