7.3 powerstroke conventional oil to synthetic?

I have always used delo 15w40 conventional. Since they won't be making it anymore should a guy use their synthetic blend and will it really hurt the seals and gaskets switching? I read an article by delo a bit ago stating that their conventional oil was better than others synthetic blends. Why change then? Thanks

I have always used delo 15w40 conventional. Since they won't be making it anymore should a guy use their synthetic blend and will it really hurt the seals and gaskets switching? I read an article by delo a bit ago stating that their conventional oil was better than others synthetic blends. Why change then? Thanks
Here is a similar thread with links to other threads on the same topic. This thread is specific to going the other way but many of the linked threads are pertinent as the principle is the same:

I ran 5W40 Premium Blue Extreme in a 6.0 PSD for over 200,000 miles and it never hurt a thing! Actually helped quite a bit with sub freezing starts (since it was normally parked across the street from home & couldn’t be plugged in easily).

Using the new blend or above will be an upgrade. There is no problem with compatibility. While you're at it looks for the Ford F1 recommended oils. Delvace Extreme, Rotella, & several others "Meet" Ford's spec. The delo article was probably their "Isosyn" marketing. If it was so good then why did they discontinue it to start using a synthetic blend? LOL

Chevron Delo XSP Meets it too if you like Delo
SuperTech 15w-40

Last edited:
I ran 5W40 Premium Blue Extreme in a 6.0 PSD for over 200,000 miles and it never hurt a thing! Actually helped quite a bit with sub freezing starts (since it was normally parked across the street from home & couldn’t be plugged in easily).
But that was probably mostly CJ-4 oils that Ford was ok with. Now that API went to CK-4 Ford pushes for their spec'd oils to pass their upper valve train wear tests on the 6.7 and backspec'd all Powerstrokes.

Well, Valvoline PBX is on the list…
Yes, You're right. They did add that spec eventually. There are quite a bit now offered with that spec these days it's hard to keep track. Mobil 1 Full synthetic oil is probably the last of the 6.0L worries so you did well on your choice. I just replaced my FICM with a Dorman the other day in the driveway. Injectors were all reading low voltage. Prime symptom of FICM. I just bought a lifetime warranty Dorman from Oreilly's. Anyways, Thanks for the update.

The oil pretty much won't last beyond 5,000 miles. If it's warm where you are use dino oil if it gets cold there, has cold winters, you change the oil once a year because it's noba daily driver use synthetic.
For my diesel I change the oil every 2 or 3 years I use 5w-40 since winter get down to about 0f most years.

Which shows there's no good reason to not use it & availability is not an issue.
I’m running a supported ck4 (castrol crb 10w30) instead of what they usually recommend in India which is 5w30 a5b5 whether for their small hatchbacks or for a 3.2 liter endeavour aka ranger. Works beautifully, rather better than a thin 5w30.

I’m running a supported ck4 (castrol crb 10w30) instead of what they usually recommend in India which is 5w30 a5b5 whether for their small hatchbacks or for a 3.2 liter endeavour aka ranger. Works beautifully, rather better than a thin 5w30.
Sounds like you have a great machine that should serve you well for some time on that Castrol CRB.

Back