15w40 for 99 vortec 350 4x4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
15w40 will work fine, I have done it quite a few times and my 98 still runs fine 185k and counting.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
... In marine service, millions of them are fed nothing but 25w40 and 15w40. The engine doesn't care. ....

Volvo-Penta specs xW-50 for my marinized GM Vortex 5.0L if their "special" SAE 30 Synthetic is not available. I have many, many hours on 0W/5W/15W/20W-50's with no oil-related issues. It actually has 5W-40 in it for this season.

Indeed. Volvo did have a lot of issues with the SAE30 and valvetrain wear. Most engines have a bulletin superceding a 40 weight diesel oil and knocking down the SAE30 as recommended oil.

Now that they're all emissions catalyzed engines, 5w50 SN oils are the go-to oils to prevent catalyst contamination. Mobil 15w-50 as well, with a Stern warning not to use Mobil motorcycle version. I'm assuming because of phos and zinc levels.

Marine Power has this specific recommendation for their GM based marine engines.

I run 5W-30 Castrol HM in my 98 with the 5.7L vortec but it only has 137,000 miles on it.

I do run 10W-40 Castrol HM in my 98 with the 7.4L vortec and it runs fine on it but doesn't start as well in the colder months as it did on 5W-30. This truck has 117,000 miles on it.

I will tell you that when my 98 with the 5.7L was fairly new, I tried Mobil 1 in both 5W-30 and 10W-30 and my engine did not like that oil at all. The engine became noisier and I had increased oil consumption. I finally went back to a conventional oil and both of those things went away.

I also have a 99 Suburban with 285 Kilometers. Runs excellent. Just fixed a couple of oil leaks. I live in the interior of BC so my temps in the summer average 37 degrees. I also tow my trailer with it and with the high temps, I also run the Rotella 5W-40. No issues. Purrs and runs smooth. The 15W-40 is a touch thicker but will serve you nicely. Might pay about 1/2 MPG but that's minor. I just did an oil change with a franken-brew of Rotella 5w-40 and Mobil High Mileage 5W-30 and topped up the jug with a touch of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 just for sweetness!!!!!! I love oil mixology!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back