15,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm . . .well, there's definitely merit to staying the intended path to reach your goal. But wouldn't this oil already be at the 20% mark (or less) if we didn't keep adding extra new reserves into the mix? It's become like a patient that's ready to expire, but we keep giving additional shots of adrenaline to keep him going.

As Buster pointed out, we could have a repeat here of the 30K mile marathon run with Mobil on another thread. Rather than continue on, knowing that the oil could last a LOT longer under these test conditions, wouldn't it be more instructive to see what these other oils have to offer, Redline in particular (still at least 2 years away?)

IOW, so many oils, so little time!
wink.gif

I think this test is pretty awesome and it demostrates how well Mobil One does work. I have been doing 15,000 miles oil and filter intervals for a very long time in Toyota Landcruisers and Corvette Z06. The 94, 96, and 97 Models basically consume 1/8-1/4-1/2 quart at the 14,000 mark. Needless to say it is 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other to add the replacement amount, being 1000 miles till the next oil change? The OEM only requires you to "add" when a full quart low. The Z06 consumes roughly 1 qt per 5k sea level and 1 qt per 2.5k with significant high speed @ altitude runs 5k-9k feet Colorado Mountains, CO and Tahoe, CA.

I have learned that the "ideal" system using aftermarket available technology is this: 1. Synthetic oil group iv,like Mobil One, 2. bypass oil filter system, like oil guard 3. preoilers like accusump. 4. oil analysis.

The benefits are: 1.less engine wear 2.less product use, (upstream and down stream environmental considerations) 3. longer time between oil and filter changes 4. economy

[ August 17, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I'm not really comfortable ending the test just because I'm bored with M1. Seeing it out to one full year, which means the oil would have to withstand close to 25k miles of use, is only three months away. I don't know how much wear metal is bad, but as long as Dyson is happy with it, then so am I.

The constant topping off is definitely a study limitation, but as we've discussed during previous updates, most of the values in the sample reports can be calculated to a "corrected" value. So at the end of the study we'll have what it actually did, and also what it should have done.

For those of you who are concerned about the effect of weather on engine wear, just think, if the oil makes it to one full year then every oil will have to undergo nearly identical weather changes.
smile.gif

Cheers, 3MP

Hi,
Good one 3MP
I totally agree with you.
You do not have a wear metals problem and your 12 months limit intention is excellent

I'm doing the same with the oil testing in my Porsche. Porsche recommend time or distance - one year being the time limit. I will reach the time but not the distance
Some Euro makers are now out to two years or 40000kms oil changes is some cases

I do the same thing with one of my city based trucks and light utilities - the Delvac 1 is changed annually due to the low distance covered and low engine hours. UOA has determined this

Regards

First off...again, 3MP - thank you for the continued invaluable study!

My question is concerning the consumption issue...can someone comment? What's happening to the consumed oil? How does an UOA account for consumption? Is the amount seen in this study 'acceptable'? I know I'd hate to "check the oil level" at each fuel fillup...

The way I see it, an engine is like an oven. If consumption is occuring, then oil is being burned and some of the oil combustion byproducts (fumes) exit the exhaust...but what happens to the rest? Are there not always solid by-products of combustion? What's happening to them?

Dr. T -- most of the oil was "consumed" by little plastic sample bottles.
wink.gif

I think the running total for actual engine consumption is still around 2 qts.

Cheers, 3MP

3MP, you mean the ~5 qts. makeup was used/consumed exclusively for the UOA's?

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
I would think a test of petro oil would be interesting. Maybe with a bypass filter .Would it be more economical to sample oil every 5,000 miles? since the motor runs well.

What about 8K
OR
Don't sample til' 10k
then 15k then 20k
OR
something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back