15,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And everything looks groovy.

Funky stuff going on with flash/fuel, I'm guessing another new machine.

TBN: Blackstone's old got a 5.0, using the same Dexsil kit I got a 3.5, and the new method generated a 2.4. Next interval I plan to save some money and just roll 1d10.

http://oilstudy.spacebears.com

Cheers, 3MP

It's doing well. I agree that you should keep it going. I'm hoping the consumption of all the oils tested is relatively similar, which I think it will be, although it might be lower with the heavier 30wts. As long as the same amount is taken out each time, everything will be fine. Notice the increase in Calcium over the last several months?

This sure is a great test. And I am glad they are not pulling the ppug on it. The makeup is a big factor though. With this amount of makeup it will probably go indefinitely on this interval.

What's with the filter was it changed yet and if not why not???

Al your right, the makeup oil is a huge factor. I think the first 6-8k miles we will be able to tell something about the wear values. At that point, not too much oil was replaced so I'm guessing it will be a bit more fair to compare numbers at those intervals.

3MP,

Thanks for doing this test...I am beginning to think, however, I know where the "M" comes from in your username!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
What's with the filter was it changed yet and if not why not???

Al, yup the oil filter was changed at 12,000 miles.

3MP, are you using an oversized filter? Any pictures of the old filter's innards?

i LOVE this test.

if no other two things it has pointed out how good mobil 1 is and how questionable some of the testing methodology and interpretation is. i do think maybe we should set an upper limit on the test though, as this oil appears to now be at steady-state. if we get no other changes, maybe call it a day at 20K? otherwise, we may have to start the next test with a new car.

i LOVE this test.

Have you considered AutoRXing the car to try and reduce/eliminate the oil consumption? Perhaps that would be a good launching pad for a new 15k mile test.
smile.gif

edit: nevermind, I was going by comments in the thread and didn't actually read the test. Looks like there's little-to-no oil consumption, mostly top-offs from sampling and oil filter changes.

Very interesting, indeed!

Let this post be a lesson to everyone to read carefully before opening your trap.
tongue.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: timzak ]

So people say 20-25-35K are impossible? Given the year limitation, true enough for most drivers. But a good synthetic oil can go many, many miles...

I think this just doesn't work as well with the cheapest dino oils
tongue.gif
(case closed).

The main problem here is indeed the make up. To say an oil went any distance in a car and wear metals went down, speaks of some type of error, be it lab, fresh oil adds, etc.

I guess I as have said earlier (ringing truer) the winner will be determined by wear metals in the oil at distance = XX,XXX , not by the oil wearing out.

[ August 14, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

I would think a test of petro oil would be interesting. Maybe with a bypass filter .Would it be more economical to sample oil every 5,000 miles? since the motor runs well.

Well regardless of which method you follow, TBN is slowly trickling down, even with make-up oil added. So that could yet be the limiting factor.

Quad, I'm using the stock filter, #1042. I still have the 12k-mile filter sitting around, but I haven't cut it open. Someone was checking into sending it somewhere, but I never got the details.

For an upper limit? Assuming none of the variables causes the oil to expire? I'd go with the one-year mark, as that generally seems to be accepted as the age limit for in-service oil, even among synthetic manufacturers.

Steve, I'm intrigued by the prospect of doing a dino test myself, but it'll have to wait till after Amsoil is done. Looks like that might be at least a year from now.
gr_eek2.gif

Cheers, 3MP

for the folks that are worried about makeup oil, i have a sample of mobil1 0W-40 from my miata at 10k, with a half a quart makeup. i have been holding off sending it in until some of the problems with testing are resolved. also have a tundra getting to the same point.

so where are we on tesing problems, i see more in this test?

quote:

i do think maybe we should set an upper limit on the test though, as this oil appears to now be at steady-state.

3MP, I have to respectfully agree. With the constant freshening up of the oil supply, this thing could drag on indefinitely!
banghead.gif

The Mobil has performed very well in this test. I say be done with it and bring on the Amsoil (or better yet, the Redline!
tongue.gif
)

P.S. Say, don't suppose there is any way of slipping in some NEO 0W5 as the next oil? Ok, ok, it was just a thought.
grin.gif

[ August 15, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

I agree with Rexman. It's time. The test is at a point of diminishing returns. We're just waiting now for some obvious terminal event in the life of the oil (or, worse, the engine).

Why not just redefine your intentions? Consider that you've proven that with filter changes and top up oil, you can get to 15K with this oil and still have some confidence that it can perform. For the crowd frequenting this joint, I just don't get the feeling that the majority would be inclined to go that far with their oil, anyway. Too many paranoids and too many who just like to change oil!

We've all gained tremendously by this first go. Let's move on to compare. If the next contestant gets this far, that's OK, too. It shouldn't become a contest. It should remain a fact-finding mission.

Hi,
Great result
Personally I hope that you can keep as close as possible to the original format/parameters for the oil to be changed. They were meaningful and not academic! Of course severe upward wear metal trends excepted
The oil make up is "real world" stuff too and important in the scheme of things. It plays a real part in oil longevity in my heavy trucks using Delvac 1. Oil consumption there is around 1-ltr/6000kms over 100 000kms

For what it is worth, there is now some real evidence that your engine series will consume oil at a much reduced rate if using a 5w-50 synthetic as available here in Australia. I cannot disclose my source but will state that it is impeccable. We do not have CAFE requirements here of course
Regards

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Why not just redefine your intentions? Consider that you've proven that with filter changes and top up oil, you can get to 15K with this oil and still have some confidence that it can perform.

Right on!
cool.gif
Something else to consider too: The Camaro has already seen 1 filter change and enough replacement oil to virtually fill the crankcase all over again! So in reality, you could say this car has *already seen* an extra oil and filter change during the 15K interval!
rolleyes.gif

Sure, I know we're looking at maximum life of the oil in this extended drain test. But in real life, would an owner really want to go to the trouble of putting in a new filter plus 5 1/2 qts. of top-up oil-- why not simply change everything outright at 7500 on the way to 15000 and call a spade a spade!? It would be a lot easier on the oil (not to mention the engine
wink.gif
).

[ August 16, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

I think it's time to move on. I've changed my postition. With the oil constantly being replenished, we are ending up with a situation like the 30,000 mile Mobil 1 thread. I really think the first 8k miles will tell which oil does better in terms of wear due to the lower amount of oil added.

Hi,
perhaps "losing the plot" means losing the original intent of the test!

Read this from the original comments regarding the test;

"The best solution would be to conduct a long-term oil analyis study to track the degradation of oil and determine the mileage that it's at, say, 20% of its remaining life. Then once we've got a relatively "safe" number to live by, we can use that as our lifelong oil change interval"

Keep at it!
A most valuable practical test in a world of theories!!!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back