14 steaks you should avoid.

Interesting. I very much disagree with this articles judgement on flat iron. Its the perfect size without being overly indulgent, and the expert (me) can make it just as good as ribeye.

Yes, skirt steak is absolutely disgusting and nobody should ever buy it so it can go back down to $1.99/pound. Please 😢
Hahaha yes. We went to a bbq maybe 5-6 years ago and it was served Argentinian style. Very delicious.

Heck in college Chuck steak was $0.69/lb and I could afford it. Now it’s like $6. It has fat and flavor, just had to be cooked longer.

To rule out NY strip (not my favorite but to eliminate it?) had me scratching my head 🙂

Sorry but I won't give up my Tri-tip, T-bone and Tomahawk steaks. Surprised they didn't add Ribeye to the mix. :rolleyes:

Tri-tip is possibly better for roasting or some sort of slow cooking at lower temperatures. I have heard it if cut and used as stir fry though, where being slightly chewy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Im quoting from the articke. "[...] is another cut of steak anyone who is averse to micromanaging their food prep should avoid." This should have been the preface of the article. Someone may have read it. Then this whole thread would be superfluous.

IMO, all meat is about the preparation and the cooking method. As an example, years ago we ground things like brisket, now I get it on sale for $3.99/lb and smoke it for some delicious meals. We buy bulk beef and get NY strips, sirloins, T-bones and my favorite ribeye's.

Just my $0.02

Can’t beat Ribeye in my opinion…

IMG_0406.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

This is so wrong. Skirt steak can be made to be delicious. Properly marinated tri-tip off the grill is hard to beat. Flat irons can also be quite tasty. You can't put strip steaks on a list like this. Geez.

Cooking/prepping food bad makes bad food. Article summary.

Should have a pic of Captain Obvious somewhere.

1707158653381.jpg

I do love me a 10-11oz USDA Prime fillet from sam's club.

Dinner for 2
cut it into 2 pieces. serve with grilled asparagus and baked potato.
Maybe a side of Béarnaise sauce if I'm feelin fancy.

Sometimes Meijer has porterhouse for $7-$8/lb Thats not too bad either.
Sear both sides on grill then cook on med-low to finish.

If its thincut I'll sear it then put a little butter on it after flipping.

I'm not a great cook.. but attention to detail means alot while cooking.

Last edited:
Good observations. Garbage list, poorly written, for garbage cooks.

No grabby headline, no viability - in just writing an unbiased article about these cuts?

Some are actually lesser known. I love picanha, bavette, flat iron, etc - this makes me think the writer really doesn't know what he/she is going on about, looked up some cuts they really don't know and threw some words on the screen.

Don't let this author near a pork steak or chop!!

Indeed, "I Don't Know How To Cook These Steaks, So I Don't Buy Them" would be a better title.

Back