'14 GMC 2500 lower rad hose

D60

I need to replace the radiator in a '14 GMC 2500HD with 6.0 gasser.

O'Reilly's site indicates the quick connect hose must be replaced when removed. The only quick connect is the lower hose at rad.

I certainly can replace the hose and at 170k it might be a good idea anyway, but on general principle I'm wondering if an o-ring kit is available?

I can find an o-ring for the Duramax but it does not list the 6.0 as covered

Can you get o rings from the dealer? Ford sells them separate from the hoses

Can you get o rings from the dealer? Ford sells them separate from the hoses
I'll call Monday, thanks.

I also don't know how risky it is to just put it back together? I imagine a lot of people do..... I'd use a little silicone paste or something to help it slide back together

Feel how flattened out it is when you pull it apart

Could always just try to match the o ring out of a general o ring kit

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
Tell us more how the quick connect works.
You just pull a wire "E" clip of sorts and it slides apart. I've done it on our '08 LMM Duramax to drain the system (GM deleted petcocks in many instances) but the truck had low mileage at the time. I reassembled with nothing more and no problems....but also the diesel appears to use a different o-ring than the gasser and I don't know if that also affects "reuseability"

@Timmastertech do you suppose a Gates from O'Reilly is acceptable or should I strive for OEM?

You just pull a wire "E" clip of sorts and it slides apart. I've done it on our '08 LMM Duramax to drain the system (GM deleted petcocks in many instances) but the truck had low mileage at the time. I reassembled with nothing more and no problems....but also the diesel appears to use a different o-ring than the gasser and I don't know if that also affects "reuseability"

@Timmastertech do you suppose a Gates from O'Reilly is acceptable or should I strive for OEM?
Id go with a GM one personally, I dont like messing around with fit issues on hoses and aftermarket hoses tend not to fit quite the same as OE

Reactions: D60
Also a GM Genuine rad for this truck ain't that bad but as with everything it's the shipping TIME that's a killer. O'Reilly and AutoZone have their respective aftermarket stuff in stock.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow when they open but my local dealer ALWAYS lets me down and I ALWAYS wonder why I waste my time even trying.....

If that's the one that has the little white sealing ring in it I never had one leak after replacing a radiator
Thanks. Not sure, haven't taken it apart yet.

I tried to zoom in on some product photos but nothing really shows in to the QC end

Also a GM Genuine rad for this truck ain't that bad but as with everything it's the shipping TIME that's a killer. O'Reilly and AutoZone have their respective aftermarket stuff in stock.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow when they open but my local dealer ALWAYS lets me down and I ALWAYS wonder why I waste my time even trying.....
Do you have repairlink? I know Parts Departments hate it, but it works well for us.

So yeah, it's just an o-ring that lives in a groove. I'm not seeing any voodoo here.

I understand replacing the hose due to age but the o-ring should still be available if you're servicing the cooling system for other reasons and you know the hose is newer or in good shape.

The Gates is $42 at O'Reilly or $27 plus shipping at RA. My dealer wanted $70 for OE. My client didn't want to pay for OE. So far the Gates is working and at least it's made in the US

I'm going to pull the o-ring from the old hose and try to get ballpark dims
20230406_070829.jpg
20230406_070905.jpg

Back