10w vs 15w oil (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the manual's right. If I fly over to Australia, will I suddenly need larger briefs? The LS1 should do perfectly on 10w30 considering that was GM's darling for so many years, and your climate seems to be on par with some parts of North America.

It's interesting that in Austraila, it seems to be ingrained that "heavier oil is better 'cause it's hot".

Many areas of the US in a wide swath from the south to south-west and up the central valley of California see temps. as hot, if not hotter, and folks get long service from vehicles running 5w30, 5w20 etc. with no oil-related failures.

Regarding CAFE, who wouldn't want to get a bit better MPG over the life of the vehicle? I would imagine that petrol costs as much, if not more than the US.

Australians also have grown up with the view that a litre of oil consumption per 5,000km is excessive. 1qt/1000miles being described by an OEM as "acceptable" would be laughed at.

Shell tried to introduce XMO 15W-30 in the mid 80s. Cars started consuming (comparatively) lots of oil, a few engines ran out between checks and died.

That killed thin for a long long time, and opened the gates for the silly viscosities that emerged after that.

1987, 20W-40 and 20W-50 were the kings, and the "thin" oils were "wrecking engines"...then Penrite, STP, et al started the 20, 30, and 40 W 60s and 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back