10K on semi-syn?

So I've been running 10K OCI's on my 2008 civic for a while now using various Full Synthetics. I jumped on a great deal for a bunch of Chevron 5w-30 Semi-Syn, should last me a few years. Question is, is the Semi-Syn up to the task of a 10K OCI or should I step it down to whenever the OLM tells me to change it (usually about 6-7K)?

Anyone seen any UOA's on this stuff?

Capture1.PNG

Thanks!

So I've been running 10K OCI's on my 2008 civic for a while now using various Full Synthetics. I jumped on a great deal for a bunch of Chevron 5w-30 Semi-Syn, should last me a few years. Question is, is the Semi-Syn up to the task of a 10K OCI or should I step it down to whenever the OLM tells me to change it (usually about 6-7K)?

View attachment 63479

Thanks!

Depends on your driving conditions. Stop and go, 5K. All highway? Maybe 10K but why?

For a 2008 Honda, that MM is factored for conventional oil. If it's going up to 7000 miles on conventional, I don't think 10k miles would be a concern. Otherwise, follow the MM no matter oil type you use.

If you are curious enough and want to know how much life you can safely get out of the oil, then send a sample to Wearcheck and see how it's holding up. Otherwise, without data it's all a guess.

Go 5 - 6k miles, then do a Blackstone UOA. Semi-synth is cheap so if you don't want to go through the trouble, 5 - 6k mile OCI would be good.

Don’t over think this. Your civic engine is VERY easy on oil. Your Maintenance Minder is set using conventional oil. Chevron Supreme is also up to the task. How many miles and does your engine use any oil?

this stuff is leaps and bounds better than dumpster fire GF4 oils of past. won’t have trouble making it to OLM and then you can establish a baseline.

10k should be doable no issue

dbeau -
Why guess when you can know?
Take some UOAs. Start with your first OCI at 6k miles on the lube. If it looks good, then extend the OCI some reasonable amount and sample again. I think you'll find 10k miles is very doable.

Thanks for all the input. I forgot to mention the mileage and consumption and all that good stuff. The motor is just a few miles short of 200k. I'd say it consumes about half a quart or so over 10k using various 5w-30 full syn. I don't baby it either. It gets plenty of Italian tune-ups but I only put about 10k miles on per year.

I love the idea of UOA's but to be honest it probably won't happen. How much does that cost anyway. Trying to keep it cheap ya know. I don't know, maybe I'll give it a shot.

View attachment 63479

Thanks!
That oil is like $10 for 5 quarts at Walmart. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive. You do you but you'll never save enough money extending out oil change intervals to replace an engine.

So, if I were you, this is tricky.

Step 1, like many said, is to run it to close to zero on your cars reminder.
Step 2, send in a UOA. That's really the only way to know for sure.

But, that now makes your cost for this "great deal" oil go up. OR, you can just run it for 5-6K and then change it. But, now you're only running half your normal OCI, so you need twice as much of this "great deal" oil, so are you saving money?

Last edited:
So, if I were you, this is tricky. Step 1, like many said, is to run it to close to zero on your cars reminder. Then, send in a UOA. That's really the only way to know for sure. But, that now makes your cost for this "great deal" oil go up. OR, you can just run it for 5-6K and then change it. But, now you're only running half your normal OCI, so you need twice as much of this "great deal" oil, so are you saving money?
Not saving money if I half my OCI but I will be if I follow The OLM. I have to imagine Honda programed it well. If you consider they programmed the OLM with dino oil in mind than I'm sure Semi-syn is up to the task.

And yeah, with this oil and filter I'm at roughly $11 per OCI. Even if I fall back to using the OLM which is usually 6-7k @ 0% approx every 9 months the difference is only about $15-$20 over the course of 5 years. I can deal with that. Hell, this car might be gone in 5 years.

I would like to do an UOA one day though just for S&G's. What's the typical cost for them anyway.

Again, I appreciate all the input!

The oil ratings by the manufacturer will denote the oil change intervals. [Which could be good or not good.] For a made up example ,,, Ford could go under ideal operating conditions 10,000 miles using the recommended SP oil specified in the owners manual . Chevron is a high quality product.

Back