100 ft garden hose (heavy duty) needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
I have a couple of the Craftsman black rubber hoses from a few years back. Assuming they haven't changed, they are actually rubber, not vinyl hoses, which I despise.

I guess you have to buy them from Lowes instead of Sears now, but they are easy to check out in person at a store.

I recommend this.

I'm seeing craftsman 50 ft hose for $33 at lowes. I've only used 75-100 feet hoses for our yards. So I would want two of the 50s. Price sure is right.

Stupid question time--but if I put some teflon tape in the threads, connecting two 50-ft hoses and leaving them connected for years--shouldn't be a problem should it?

Last edited:
I've had several years of good service (daily use, spring through fall) from a Crafsman/Apex black rubber hose. They're heavy, and leave black marks on hands or clothing if dragged across them, but they hold up great and stay flexible under 50F like nothing else but rubber will do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paulri
Zee, which were you talking about, the Parker or the Technor apex?
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
If you are willing to spend about 130 or so, Parker makes a great rubber hose that should survive a lot of abuse.
Technor apex makes a good neverkink hose for a lower price point hose.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teknor-Ape...ink-Free-Vinyl-Gray-Coiled-Hose/50328063

I've got two of those hoses, and they are many years old now and are still good. Leave them out all summer long in the sun too.

Sorry I didn't clarity ... I've got two of the Teknor Neverkink hoses - got them at Lowe's. No complaints with them.

I suggest NeverKink and even had one replaced under warranty. But it seems like the warranty replacement one is breaking down faster than the one bought at the store. Dissapointed, but the rest are even worse. Kinks are what kills hoses most of the time. One trick I learned right now is to reel in the hose while the water is still turned on but turned off at the hose-end nozzle. This way, there won't be kinks when it is reeled in, which can cause tear during storage.

Originally Posted by paulri
I'm seeing craftsman 50 ft hose for $33 at lowes. I've only used 75-100 feet hoses for our yards. So I would want two of the 50s. Price sure is right.

Stupid question time--but if I put some teflon tape in the threads, connecting two 50-ft hoses and leaving them connected for years--shouldn't be a problem should it?

I have a 100 ft version, but I guess they discontinued it, along with the 75 ft version, but you might consider NOS from a 3rd party seller.

I don't see an issue in joining two 50 ft versions. The fittings won't know the difference between a nozzle and the end of another hose.

What I need to do is find a decent hose reel/cart. Keeping them out of the sun when possible helps with long life (my 100' replaced another rubber hose that was 30 years old), but there is little in between the cheap plastic junk reels and the nice, but spendy ones.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
I use Flexzilla for gardening, washing vehicles, etc.

The guy in the garden center at Menards said this is what they use too. I'll need some hose this year and plan on trying it out. The local Tire Barn also uses their air hose. Both places use them more than I ever will.

The guy at Menards said the #1 thing that kills hose is pulling several hoses together along the ground by the fittings. I'll admit I'm bad about it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at some others on amazon, filtered for verified purchases (including the Craftsman), and found quite a few complaining that the recent craftsman hoses were not like the old ones that lasted 10-20 years. So I bought an apex. It had pretty good reviews.

Originally Posted by Irishman
See www.apexhose.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back