10 year old iPad and access to YouTube

This whole thread is about an iPad...?
Yep.

8EA038C2-DE52-4EAB-B8D5-344042109C11.jpeg

Huh? I have a win7SP1+ box, has no problem accessing youtube or anything else with the last (final?) version of Chrome it updated to. 109.0.5414.120 x64. .....
Google said Win7 is currently unsupported an no future update are coming but it should work for a while. Banco SANTANDER blocked my account access due to "obsolete browser" but then allowed it a few days later.
I installed Firefox in the meantime as a stopgap measure - who say they will now no longer support Win 7 in the fall of 2023.

I am signing up myself and wife for Social security and medicare and Medigap in April and May, and I need a functional browser.

Seems I can't get through on the phone to anyone - except medigap sales people - of course ! :)

I have not had any YT access issues. You must be thinking of the O.P.

^ Seems like it was just a temporary problem on their end. You shouldn't have problems accessing websites with the last Chrome or Firefox supported by Win7 for quite a while longer.

Win7 will be supported by Firefox 115 ESR through at least Q3 2024, and probably not be artificially blocked by websites due to control-freak admins, until 2026 or later still. Sometimes it's just as simple as blocking a browser check script, or spoofing the browser useragent when you happen upon a site with an overzealous admin trying to block your access.

At the same time, if your system is FROM the win7 era and it is the only way you can get in contact with them, it might be time to think about a newer system to gain the reliability of newer hardware, particularly the power supply (and/or HDD if not running on an SSD) if you want to piecemeal that instead of getting a whole new OEM system. New system would come with Win10 or 11.

Last edited:
This whole thread is about an iPad...?
Yes, my bad. I forgot mobile devices had simplified/crippled browsers. Had I remembered that I would not have posted. While I use my iPad with work-related software, I use my portable device, a laptop, much more often if I have to use a browser, especially if I want to watch videos. The same goes for my phone. I'm not willing to waste time suffering ads just to watch a video. I do have standalone ad block apps on Android and iPadOS but they aren't great.

Last edited:
Google said Win7 is currently unsupported an no future update are coming but it should work for a while. Banco SANTANDER blocked my account access due to "obsolete browser" but then allowed it a few days later.
I installed Firefox in the meantime as a stopgap measure - who say they will now no longer support Win 7 in the fall of 2023.

I am signing up myself and wife for Social security and medicare and Medigap in April and May, and I need a functional browser.

Seems I can't get through on the phone to anyone - except medigap sales people - of course ! :)

I have not had any YT access issues. You must be thinking of the O.P.
Windows 7 has been sunsetted and *****is no longer supported**** as of January 2020. Software vendors are rightfully dropping support for it; more each day, thankfully. It is extremely unwise to continue using it; ****especially if you are considering using it for your personal SS and health data****.

I will say you made the right choice on the Ipad. I however choose poorly. I chose a high end Sony Xperia tablet. Yeah the advertisement of dumping it in a fish tank when on sold me.

Biggest fail of my life, one android upgrade to 4.3 and I still use it for Biblical research, and as a E Bible. Only visit known sites.

Windows 7 has been sunsetted and *****is no longer supported**** as of January 2020. Software vendors are rightfully dropping support for it; more each day, thankfully. It is extremely unwise to continue using it; ****especially if you are considering using it for your personal SS and health data****.
I have a layer of Norton AV installed and Win7 is easy, intuitive, and it works - especially without all the constant updates.

I missed the WIN 10 upgrade as I didn't like using it at may workplace, but I can't seem to be able to upgrade now. I tried twice and I get and install error and a contact Microsoft message - yeah right :) I Haven't tried side loading it from a thumb.

But I am looking at new mini desktops and trying to figure out if I can deal with Win 11. No gaming here so probably an i3 machine with 8g ram is fine. I do fine now with a Pentium G645 sandy bridge and 4GB DDR3. I got my wife a budget HP laptop with Win 11s and core i3 it doesn't seem terrible - except that it's a lop top and I personally HATE touchpads. Gimme a mouse or one of them old Logitech red marble ergo trackballs!

I have a layer of Norton AV installed and Win7 is easy, intuitive, and it works - especially without all the constant updates.

I missed the WIN 10 upgrade as I didn't like using it at may workplace, but I can't seem to be able to upgrade now. I tried twice and I get and install error and a contact Microsoft message - yeah right :) I Haven't tried side loading it from a thumb.

But I am looking at new mini desktops and trying to figure out if I can deal with Win 11. No gaming here so probably an i3 machine with 8g ram is fine. I do fine now with a Pentium G645 sandy bridge and 4GB DDR3. I got my wife a budget HP laptop with Win 11s and core i3 it doesn't seem terrible - except that it's a lop top and I personally HATE touchpads. Gimme a mouse or one of them old Logitech red marble ergo trackballs!
Go buy the cheapest computer you can find for a few hundred and it will be orders of magnitude faster than what you have. You must be a patient person because that machine probably takes 10 minutes to boot especially with Norton installed.

This is why I dropped Apple completely. They make you basically trash perfectly good products with their predatory updates. I was sick of being punished for being a responsible & careful owner

This is why I dropped Apple completely. They make you basically trash perfectly good products with their predatory updates. I was sick of being punished for being a responsible & careful owner
After about 10 years? I am not an Apple fan boy, but they support their products with software updates much longer than anyone else.

It should still work with old apps. I've had it where the apps don't work without an update but you can't update because it's old. Basically can't use it
That is because the apps quit supporting older IOS versions. That isn't necessarily Apple's fault.

Go buy the cheapest computer you can find for a few hundred and it will be orders of magnitude faster than what you have. You must be a patient person because that machine probably takes 10 minutes to boot especially with Norton installed.
No. Suprisingly about 20- 25 seconds from a cold boot. It's a good machine. Faster than my Android 10 phone boot!
I got my ram prioritised a certain way - forget what I did. I got most junk obtrusive software out of there. GARMIN stuff for the wife's old GPS was a big drag. And the MS Win10 upgrade junk I wiped.

It does take a about 7 sec to cold open an xL sheet using old "trial" software but once that's cached its instant.

Its a Gateway mini desktop from Walmart for 275 bucks, which I think was owned by ACER back then. Still has an optical DVD r/w drive. That's got cobwebs - since thumbs are massive and fast now. Might was well go non-moving media solid state storage. - Ken

No. Suprisingly about 20- 25 seconds from a cold boot. It's a good machine. Faster than my Android 10 phone boot!
I got my ram prioritised a certain way - forget what I did. I got most junk obtrusive software out of there. GARMIN stuff for the wife's old GPS was a big drag. And the MS Win10 upgrade junk I wiped.

It does take a about 7 sec to cold open an xL sheet using old "trial" software but once that's cached its instant.

Its a Gateway mini desktop from Walmart for 275 bucks, which I think was owned by ACER back then. Still has an optical DVD r/w drive. That's got cobwebs - since thumbs are massive and fast now. Might was well go non-moving media solid state storage. - Ken
Hard to believe it is that fast unless you replaced the hard drive with an SSD.

As someone who works in IT, I'd strongly recommend not using an old ipad (or other device) that no longer receives security updates. It's just a bad idea for multiple reasons. And as for "built in obsolescence", Apple already supports their devices far longer than anyone else does so that's really a non-starter. A new ipad is not that expensive, around $300 and it'll be supported for another 5+ years.

Last edited:
Back