10 year old iPad and access to YouTube

I have a layer of Norton AV installed and Win7 is easy, intuitive, and it works - especially without all the constant updates.

I missed the WIN 10 upgrade as I didn't like using it at may workplace, but I can't seem to be able to upgrade now. I tried twice and I get and install error and a contact Microsoft message - yeah right :) I Haven't tried side loading it from a thumb.

But I am looking at new mini desktops and trying to figure out if I can deal with Win 11. No gaming here so probably an i3 machine with 8g ram is fine. I do fine now with a Pentium G645 sandy bridge and 4GB DDR3. I got my wife a budget HP laptop with Win 11s and core i3 it doesn't seem terrible - except that it's a lop top and I personally HATE touchpads. Gimme a mouse or one of them old Logitech red marble ergo trackballs!
You can do a fresh install. Download media creation tool and use it to create a bootable USB. Make sure you write down your windows license key before you do that though, as you'll be able to activate your W10 installation using the W7 license key.

Hard to believe it is that fast unless you replaced the hard drive with an SSD.
Do you need video proof? I don't appreciate people questioning my veracity.

But I am getting on and less sound of mind, so I will (again) do a stop watch test for tomorrow's boot. I considered it booted when I can see the desktop populated and I can open an xL file or Chrome

Sort of moot exercise - as I am not supported.

Last edited:
Do you need video proof? I don't appreciate people questioning my veracity.

But I am getting on and less sound of mind, so I will (again) do a stop watch test for tomorrow's boot. I considered it booted when I can see the desktop populated and I can open an xL file or Chrome

Sort of moot exercise - as I am not supported.
Easy there... I could care less if you are lying to me and I am not questioning your veracity. I have a similar machine that I use as a software router and it is nowhere near that fast running Windows, so it got repurposed as a router.
I would still bet that the cheapest current Wal-Mart computer with a SSD hard drive will be much faster than what you currently are using. Take it for what you want.

Easy there... I could care less if you are lying to me and I am not questioning your veracity. I have a similar machine that I use as a software router and it is nowhere near that fast running Windows, so it got repurposed as a router.
I would still bet that the cheapest current Wal-Mart computer with a SSD hard drive will be much faster than what you currently are using. Take it for what you want.
Well across the internet, "Hard to believe" and "Easy there" comes off a bit rude; I am a sensitive Renaissance homme du monde :)

I am sure a new PC will be if I clean up and knock down garbage threads and processes that churn and can bog any machine. My wifes' new $270 HP i3 laptop opens xl and word instantly. It didn't have much of any bloatware on it, it's running win 11 secure mode. We'll see how it is in a couple months. But there is no heavy lifting, no gaming done here so I don't know the limitations.

I was looking for another mini tower at the local Walmart, but they only carry a couple "gaming" desktops now. Then I went to staples, they have a couple under $400 HP mini's "display empty case" machines the sales person said to order it online. They do have a couple All in Ones - not sure I want that. Maybe it's OK. But I do plan to " re-purpose my samsung 39" HDTV LED TV and move to a Smart 4K unit. That may well be too big for a desktop, maybe not if I move it back 4' from my face.

I might end up doing a "ship to store". I want a 'brick and mortar' place to return to if I encounter problems or failures.
Or I may just go to a computer repair shop and see what they got.

- Ken

what about building a pc? I don't like the compact ones, as they are proprietary (almost always).

what about building a pc? I don't like the compact ones, as they are proprietary (almost always).
You might get a better machine, but probably won't come out on the cost. Parts are easier to get now, but a year or 2 ago components were hard to get.

Back