$1 bills

I randomly received the two lower bills this year. One being the silver note and the other a shrunken one. I'm guessing the silver one might have been stolen and used as regular currency and the other might have been put through a high heat dryer. I've never had bills like this in making change, its always been the odd coin.

$1 bills.jpg

Ive seen before that as inflation occurs the mattress stuffers dig out their old cash and trade them for hard assets. The silver note someone made a booboo. When i was a kid my brother raided my silver coins and bought cigarettes with them. P-(

1) Anyone ever see a red treasury seal note? I forget the reason.

2) As Kawiguy454 alluded....I got a 1934 series $20. The portrait is framed and smaller.
At a fill-up the gas station attendant asked me for a different bill.

Boy you have a rare one there. Not only is that a silver certificate but it’s also a star note. Star notes are made when there is a mistake in the original printing so they have to reprint them. If you don’t want it let me know I might be interested. Condition is a little rough but they are hard to come by. 1957 is the most common year for them. In good condition they typically go for about $3-$5.

Interesting that all $1 bills have been the same size since 1928 and that silver certificates should have blue treasury seal and serial numbers. The serial numbers look black, but can't tell for sure from your picture. Counterfeit maybe?

The seal is definitely blue. The numbers are playing tricks on my eyes! I looked at them with/without a magnifying glass and I get both colors registering :unsure:. When I compare it to other blacks on the bill, it does have a blue tinge to it. Just looking at the numbers, I think black.

Just googled how that smaller bill was possibly shrunken. You need to watch the video as his second attempt was far better.

Boy you have a rare one there. Not only is that a silver certificate but it’s also a star note. Star notes are made when there is a mistake in the original printing so they have to reprint them. If you don’t want it let me know I might be interested. Condition is a little rough but they are hard to come by. 1957 is the most common year for them. In good condition they typically go for about $3-$5.
Not very rare at all. I have about eight silver certificates that I have gotten as change over the years.The blue seal (all silver certificates have blue seals) means the note is backed by silver hence a silver certificate. It's worth about three dollars in its condition.

The shrunken bill has my interest more than the silver cert.

Not very rare at all. I have about eight silver certificates that I have gotten as change over the years.The blue seal (all silver certificates have blue seals) means the note is backed by silver hence a silver certificate. It's worth about three dollars in its condition.

The shrunken bill has my interest more than the silver cert.
I was referring to the star notes being rare the 1957 aren’t as rare in star notes but still rare in a way. Yes I agree the silver certificates are pretty common. I do get them back from the bank and gas station often they always set them aside for me for my collection.

Would you show the back of them? IIRC, the "in God we Trust" wasn't added until the late 50's or 60's.

Back