0W-20 in a hybrid. Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker has a 3-month old Honda hybrid. He's at 3600 miles on it and his OLM is still showing 70% oil life. (Apparently hybrids aren't very hard on oil?)

Anyway, the manual specs 0W-20. Outside of boutique oils, what are his options? I told him to check Wal-Mart and look for a Mobil variety. Is there someone else he can check for another mainstream brand oil?

He wants to start doing his own OCs so he'll know they'll be done right. I hope having a unique weight of oil that may be tough to track down doesn't change his mind.

Thanks guys.

Mobil 1 AFE is the easiest to find. AMSOIL takes a little bit of searching to find locally...

I've yet to see PP or SynPower in the wild, even though 0W-20 is listed in their respective datasheets. There are a couple of online options for those if your willing to pay for shipping. (But at that point you might as well support one of our AMSOIL guys on the forum...)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil is just so easy to order. It really is. I can hook him up for about 25% off the posted prices as a PC.

Don't forget allot of Napa's and Carquests carry it as well, at full retail price of course. It's easier for allot of people to justify 4 quarts plus tax then it is a full case or 2.5 gallon. I prefer just placing my order and having it delivered within 2 days.

I'm using M1 0W-20 in my new Camry.

I picked mine up at Advance Auto - 5 qts. and M1 filter for $29.99.

I'll keep doing that until Pennzoil starts making PP in 0W-20 or Walmart starts stocking the M1 5 qt. jug in 0W-20.

Toyota dealers stock the 0w-20 that is made by ENEOS (most likely), and I considered it, but there is not any real data on it yet.

I used to use Toyota branded 0w20 in our camry, but have since switched over to Redline 0w20. No particular reason, other than I threw it in while ordering Redline for my Audi.

Dave

I used to use Mobil 0W20 in my 2003 Civic Hybrid. The past couple of years it has been getting harder and harder to find in my area. Today no one stocks it, except the Honda and Toyota stealerships. I now only use 5W20 and do not notice any difference in mileage.

maybe pablo wants to jump in and verify, but the amsoil press i reviewed recommends the SSO 0W30 for all 0W20 applications

i'm using the SS0 0W30 in my 2008 Prius, but i'm about to put the very same into a 2010 Prius which is specced for 0W20

i don't care ... i'm crazy like that yo

Conoco-Phillips makes Kendall GT-1 synthetic in a 0W-20 as well. Might be able to find that.

SSO would do well in a 20-weight application - it's a pretty thin (10.3 cst) 30-weight.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I'm using M1 0W-20 in my new Camry.

I picked mine up at Advance Auto - 5 qts. and M1 filter for $29.99.

I'll keep doing that until Pennzoil starts making PP in 0W-20 or Walmart starts stocking the M1 5 qt. jug in 0W-20.

Pennzoil does make its Platinum oil in 0W20 but as someone stated earlier you have to get it online. I can send you the link if you like.

Hawkeye,

I'd spare the expense of going full synthetic. Go for a 'blend'...

Hybrid engines don't work that hard and they blends will give you the best protection, best flow and pumpablity, as well as long oil change intervals without the cost of a full synthetic oil. Since these engines don't develop high oil temperatures, flow and pumpablity when cold and at intermediate temperatures is probably a lot more important... thus a 'blend' is likely the best choice.

A good choice would be any of the Conoco-Phillips siblings (Conoco, Phillips 66, Union 76, Kendall, or Motorcraft). Motorcraft is probably the best value and available anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back