09 g6 ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter purchased this car after someone hit and totaled her Volvo S80. She's only using this as a work car, 100 miles per day and it had 98k miles on it. Long story short, she's put 3400 miles on it since she's had it and when she stopped by today I pulled the dipstick....bone dry. I've read some horror stories about this engine in the equinox but can't find anything on the g6 using oil. Is there a pcv valve on these or is it like my 3.9? I dumped 2.5 quarts in a 4 qt sump to get it back up to full. Also can I use PP 10-30 in this engine to stave off the consumption or is it strictly a 5-30 engine? I changed the oil myself with Mobil conventional when she got it and it was on full.

A GM 2.4 is a GM 2.4, no matter what it is in. They are oil-guzzling, timing chain eating pieces of garbage. Good luck.

I'm learning that. I would never have bought the car or any car with that engine. I guess I'll put some 10-30 in it that I got laying around and tell her to hope for the best.

Last edited:
For the winter, get in Mobil1 0w40 cheap at walmart. Thick enough hot for sure.
Was the oil pressure light ever on before it was caught low like that?

A good test.....While not 100% definitive is to to pull the dipstick while the engine is idling, IF the Fuel Trims go positive right away.....The PCV is flowing & not blocked.

The PCV orifice is built into the Valve Cover.

You may want to peek down the oil fill cap & see if any sludge is present.....If in good shape, I would do a Piston Ring Soak using GM Top Engine Cleaner following the Cadillac Northstar Procedure.

I've run 5w40 CJ4 oils in 2.0L LNF DI Turbocharged Ecotech's without issue, Same VVT system your 2.4L LE5 MFI Ecotech. 10w30 won't hurt a bit.

Appreciate the info. I don't understand the need for this engine? The car gets worse mileage than my impala 3.9 and apparently is a giant turd. My daughters fiancée helped her with this purchase. I don't mind the g6 platform for a work car but there were better power train options. Btw this was a service writers car who had service logs so it was maintained.

Sticky situation , since your daughter purchased it . :-(

First thing , try your best to get it into her heat to check ( and top off as needed ) the oil EVERY time she puts gas into it . Try to explain , if she runs low on oil , she will soon be walking ! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back