08 Silverado - Surge/Thump/Kick in rear diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at a stop, after a random amount of time, you can hear and feel a thump from the diff, almost as if someone lightly tapped your rear bumper.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the auto locking diff?

Has anyone else experienced this?

GMFan,

Thanks, I knew I was not crazy. Only problem, is other than my complaint matching that of others, no info as I can see as to what the problem is all about.

Sounds like binding in the drivetrain, probably in the driveshaft slip joint. When you come to a stop, the normal drivetrain play tightens up, then releases after a few seconds. Sometimes the slip joint doesn't slide freely enough, causing this thump noise/feel at a stop. You may want to check with your dealer to see if there is a TSB pertaining to this. I've seen it many times with Toyota trucks. Good luck.

Warranty = yes... truck has only 9k miles.

To add to the description, sometimes, it is a good while before this is felt while at a stop, sometimes it seems to be fairly quick, but in all it does NOT happen in a few seconds.

I'd even go so far to say it could take up to a minute.

Diff is a 3.73
V8 Iron Block 5.3L with Active Fuel Mgmt.

Just throwing out a suggestion, based on similar descriptions.
Any correlation with maybe rolling forward a few inches after coming to a full stop? This could be the case if you're waiting for a traffic light to change for a minute or so. Just tryin' to help...

Hey mechtech2 you told me to R&R my brakes. lol

I had posted about this same issue with my Chevy Trailblazer. I still don't have an answer. I can make mine do it buy the way I stop.

After the questions posted, I made sure to note that this does not correlate with moving or inching forward.

i.e. I have to be at a full stop... an amount of time will pass ... and then the 'clunk/thump' sound and pluse. You CAN FEEL it slightly.... just as others described on the URL posted.

I may try to PM Whitewolf to see if he might have insight.

Thanks again for the replys.

I have an 03 silverado and been dealing with this problem since i bought it new. Took it to idiotship many times and nothing. they tried replacing valve body in transmission to other things, i have just lived to deal with it. I did file a complaint with the BBB and GM gave me an extended warranty on the transmission and drive shaft for 3 extra years.

I just checked GM Service Info. There are currently no TSB's on that issue and how you described it.

It's the front driveshaft slip joint. Remove and grease splines with a marine water resistent grease and reinstall. My 08 Sierra does not have this problem but I've seen it mentioned a few times @ GM-trucks.com.

My 08 Sierra does the same thing (since new). I though it was just me, and it feels like the car behind you gave you a tap. My truck has just under 8k on her now. I'll take her in for a check up when I can. It doesn't happen all the time, every now and then. And I can live with it as long as it doesn't break anything.

My 07 Silverado 2WD does the exact same thing. It is not the rear end. And it does not happen when the truck is moving. Guys on other forums have tried greasing the driveshaft splines with very limited success. It can also be the way the TCM downshifts the trans into first. This happens more when the trans is cold.

LAGA,

You mention it is not the rear end, and that the driveshaft splines is not really the answer either. I am confused.

I know my issue is not related to a cold tranny, as it happens at anytime.

newpassat mentioned something that I may have actually noticed last night, or he at least got me thinking in this way .... the difference between comming to a rapid stop vs. rolling up slowing at a light and then completely stopping.

If I am correct, the 'event' does NOT happen if you come to a rapid stop.

Today I'll truly try to confirm.

We had a "thump"/rear end "clunk" on takeoff on a lot of Ford trucks due to driveshaft binding at the splines. Ford has a special teflon grease that fixed up the problem.

Definitely a vexing problem to cause those symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back