'07 F250 6.0L Amsoil HDD 6,077 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
I would be curious to know how many miles on your truck?

Just about the same as you, a little over 81,000 miles. I have considered the ACD, but the HDD works so well in my truck that I think I'll just stick with it, despite the slight price difference. I trust it, that's worth a lot to me.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Fantastic oil!
thumbsup2.gif

Some more Moly would be nice, but surely not necessary.

The Moly is not required and probably only there to pass the marketing tests. This does look like a good oil and is still in spec, so no need to change. Should be good for 10,000 miles.

On nearly every Amsoil report I have seen here you can count on dnewton to come in a bash the results. He apologizes up front so it won't look as bad and swears it isn't the product, but the fact he seems to do it on nearly every Amsoil post it paints a different picture!
With him being a moderator and Amsoil being a sponsor, I would think he'd be more neutral.

Dnewton,
I'll be posting my blackstone report in a few weeks, just wanted to let you know so you can look forward to bashing another Amsoil post.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
I'll be posting my blackstone report in a few weeks...

What's your OCI interval with Amsoil?

20,000 miles

That's reasonable. I don't know why people buy the oil and dump it after 6k. At least get some use out of it, 20k is decent, although some go much farther.

Originally Posted By: lt1man
I don't know why people buy the oil and dump it after 6k.

Because they are operating under a false premise that it's "better". It's the "cheap insurance" mantra run amok.

On nearly every Amsoil report I have seen here you can count on dnewton to come in a bash the results. He apologizes up front so it won't look as bad and swears it isn't the product, but the fact he seems to do it on nearly every Amsoil post it paints a different picture!
With him being a moderator and Amsoil being a sponsor, I would think he'd be more neutral.

Dnewton,
I'll be posting my blackstone report in a few weeks, just wanted to let you know so you can look forward to bashing another Amsoil post.

That shows me how much you misundersand the intent of my posts.

I don't bash Amsoil. Actually I respect Amsoil; a high quality product line that I have seen excellent performance potential from. I have even recommended Amsoil to some friends when the conditions exist where they would get benefits from it.

Also, I am on record here in praising some extended UOAs here using Amsoil as well as other brands. Oddly, as much as I seem to get bad press for "bashing Amsoil", no one ever complains when I praise Amsoil. Ever notice that, or are you only focusing on what you want to see? Here's but one recent example where I praised the use of Amsoil for an extended OCI, and commented on the great results the product gave:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2660111#Post2660111
If I'm so against Amsoil that you think I "bash" it, then why am I on record as praising it? Why did I have several complimentarly posts about the product and the use. In fact, if you read it with a clear eye, you see that I mention this is an excellent example of the proper use of syntehtics; that of extended OCIs. Did you chime in there, and congratulate me for praising Amsoil? Did you realize that I'm complimentary of both the product and the process?

Further, do you get concerned when I "bash" people who even waste dino oil? Why not complain about when I challenge a person for dumping dino oil too soon? There are plenty of exmaples of me challenging ("bashing") people who waste conventional oils as well.

What I am against is waste. Using any synthetic for short to moderate OCIs in normal conditions is a total waste, and as always I challenge anyone to prove otherwise using the UOA data and cost structure.

I don't "bash" Amsoil. I do "bash" waste. Why do I do it frequently? Because people frequently dump Amsoil (or RP, or RL, or Schaeffers, or T6 ...) way too early. It's a self-fulfilling prophesey. People waste oil often; I call them out. That's not hard to understand, is it?

I don't "bash" the product. The product has no control over how it is used. A product cannot install or remove itself; only a human does that. I am calling out the wastefull practices of the person who does such. Waste is waste no matter how you look at it. Any lube, regardless of base stock or brand/grade can either be over or under utilized.

I don't "bash" the Amsoil; I do challenge the wasteful user.
Big difference between the two.

Last edited:
He has a great point, why dump the oil so early? Synthetic oils are great for saving time by not changing your oil as often, for saving money to double and triple your OCI's even further if its Amsoil or Mobil 1 EP. Plus, it's great for the environment. Oops, forgot the fact that it cuts down dependance on oil, as the longer you use the same oil the less you buy. Same goes with fuel, more MPG's = LESS fuel.

The only way to get a decent ROI with premium products is by extending the OCIs.

That in mind, rather than dumping perfectly sound oil, why not sample instead?

There are a few products out there that allow easy access to a sample. Amsoil has a draw tube set up; so does Blackstone IIRC. I personally like the Fumoto pan valve which allows "live" samples; this is what I have on my Dmax and also my neighbor has one on his 6.0L PSD. Any of these options costs perhaps $25 or so. A sump exchange on a PSD is something to the tune of $115 just for the lube, right? And that does not include filter costs.

It would be FAR cheaper for you to get samples on a current sump load and then extend the current OCI successively, rather than dump/fill in ever increasing OCI/UOAs cycles.

Last edited:
http://www.fumotousa.com/

It is nothing but a glorified ball valve, but it is a very high quality piece. It has many OEM validations and approvals from major car/truck/tractor makers.

Choose your application from their chart. (I believe the 6.0L PSD is the F-111).

Read the whole site before you make up your mind.

Last edited:
Amsoil makes a great oil, if used in extended OCI applications. I've kicked the tires on putting the HDD in my truck, primarily for the fuel saving aspect of a lighter weight oil.

This UOA is ok, but I would have liked to see the wear numbers and TBN when sampled at 20K miles.

I see all these comments about why not leave oil in longer with amsoil 5w30hdd. Based off my experience for the past 8 years with powerstroke diesel, the hpop is extremely hard on oil and its used to fire the injectors. 6.0 powerstroke will wear oil out. Most say OCI at 5,000 miles with 6.0. Ford recommends 7500 under normal use and 5,000 under dusty/severe use conditions.

Some just simply don't see the justified cost of using amsoil in the powerstroke due to mechanical failure risk by running oil 10-20k miles. I know there are some that have done it. But the question is, is it worth the risk to run amsoil extended OCI in a 6.0 powerstroke? The benefits of amsoil may be in its ability to withstand high diesel temps in the summer and may resist thermal break down than other oils, such as Rotella T5 10w30. But who knows?

I've used the T5 and the ACD. I can tell there is a slight change is the way the motor sounds between the two oils. The ACD tends to allow the motor to rev quicker with a light slick action, and maybe a tad quieter with the ACD over the T5. I also picked up .5 mpg with the ACD over the T5. This could be due to the fact the ACD is thinner under normal operating temps.

I've been running the ACD for 8k OCI with 4k mile filter changes and topping off with ACD.

But it's hard to beat Rotella T5 when I saw it at Walmart in austin, tx for $12/gallon with rollback pricing. Then again, it also makes me wonder is Rotella have low grade base stock and is warranted to be sold so cheaply??

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back