04 GTX Supercharged clutch/syn question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know diddly about jet skis, but a friend of mine asked me this:

I also post on a SeaDoo board, bc I have an 04 GTX Supercharged ski. Bombardier claims that you need/must use the conventional motor oil (which incidently is made and bottled by Castrol and is in fact Castrol GTX) and do not use any synth oils even their brand. The issue is that we have a ceramic coated clutch, disc type compressed between 2 metal concave washers, probably bc of a failsafe device so to minimize any damage if supercharger impellor or shaft failure occurs. The supercharged is directly driven off a gear assy on the crankshaft. Bombardier claims that using a synth will prematurely wear the ceramic coating on the disc(s)and cause slippage/failure and inoperation of the supercharger. I have contacted Darryn in the Tech dept. at Amsoil asking if Amsoil has a synth product that is supercharger clutch compatible, and his quick reply was the 0W-40 Four Stroke oil is recommended for this application and that it IS compatible with the supercharger clutch. There is no friction modifiers in this oil. I brought this info to the attention of a well versed SeaDoo certified tech that I have been in contact with and he would not comment on it being clutch compatible based on his Bombardier certifications and basically just said I should not/don`t use that. I have also contacted an owner of a very reputable ski performance shop and he did say No synth. I trust the Amsoil line of lubricants, and I have been told/read that is was Ok from [AMSOIL person_01]. my dilemma is that I do not know enogh about this to make a descision. I would like to use the Amsoil synth, I feel that it is better. I had e-mailed [AMSOIL person_01] asking him for some kind of proof or technical data, specifications showing that it`s Ok to use with the ceramic clutch, waiting for his response.

Thoughts? Input? Opinions?

I said play it safe and stick to conventional oil until we find out for sure.

I'd go with what bombi wants, rotax tears up lots of motors (big $$$) in testing. Bombi was also king of the "synthetic only" in many of their PWC models, so wouldn't be afraid to recommend it and most likely would have. Doubt very much the oil is the exact same as GTX, heard the same story with the snowmachine oils, not true from what I could dig up. Amway may be correct but may also be confusing your consideration with the motorcycle wet "clutch" issue, NOT the same, I wouldn't trust em.

If you post on seadoo.net, do yourself a favor and g2 pwctoday.com. Seadoo.net is a shizzy site, owned by an idiot named glen perry!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by wileyE:
Amway may be correct but may also be confusing your consideration with the motorcycle wet "clutch" issue, NOT the same, I wouldn't trust em.

That`s not even funny!
rolleyes.gif

quote:

I trust the Amsoil line of lubricants, and I have been told/read that is was Ok from [AMSOIL person_01]. my dilemma is that I do not know enogh about this to make a descision. I would like to use the Amsoil synth, I feel that it is better. I had e-mailed [AMSOIL person_01] asking him for some kind of proof or technical data, specifications showing that it`s Ok to use with the ceramic clutch, waiting for his response.

He did, still waiting for another response besides the generic, "The 0w40 is what you want."

Sorry for that, too late to edit. Amsoil has some good products that I've used myself so I'm not trying to bash them. "wouldn't trust them" was targeted at a possible misunderstanding of the special application (doubt many companys have tested this slipper drive system), not a bash on the company or the individuals involved with it.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
If you post on seadoo.net, do yourself a favor and g2 pwctoday.com. Seadoo.net is a shizzy site, owned by an idiot named glen perry!!!!!!

Real mature. And patently inaccurate.

I would trust the opinion of the people who tear down and repair these things. Bombardier loves to recommend the most expensive synthetics for all their products; there must be a good reason they're not doing in this case.

I would go with what Sea-Doo says.

We only use Yamalube brand (W-2) Syn Blend mixed w/ Yamalube Ring Free Fuel Add in my brother's '01 GP1200R. It gets injected into the gas though, so a little different.

We stick to what Yama says, and some Yama tech/mech's we talked to.

Your friend should stick to what Sea-Doo says, though it defy's our thinking about Syn lubes.

Darkdan, what does his Sea-Doo top out at. I heard those fly!

quote:

Real mature. And patently inaccurate.

I would trust the opinion of the people who tear down and repair these things. Bombardier loves to recommend the most expensive synthetics for all their products; there must be a good reason they're not doing in this case. [/QB]

Actually I am accurate, that *** person who runs that site does not back up his products, manipulates the site(edits ppls posts without them knowing or deleting), only lets the positive things run on his site, never a NEGATIVE thing about his site or products.

Better sites to g2 for info are pwctoday.com, rivaracing.com and even contacting rotax racing. Glenn Perry is a deusche bag, and thats why I stopped using that site 4 years ago!!!!!

The people who own the board [here, there or anywhere] have the right to do whatever they want-- deal with it. Back when I kept up with this stuff, pwctoday was a waste of time because it was merely a haven for Sea Doo bashers instead of information for SD owners.

At least, in the midst of your grammarless rant, you could ATTEMPT to answer the original question of the topic starter... or were you just looking for an opportunity to bash someone?

Your right, I dont like sea doos, but my posts are not about my dislikes towards them. I just prefer to have people go to the right forum so they know the right mods and maitanence rather than buy from a biased site!!!!!!! I prefer not to start a fight here(arguing on the internet is for retards).

As far as the question goes, apparently the clutch slips from rough water riding mainly in salt water due to a **** poor design. I dont understand why they would switch their opinion to run a conventional oil over a synthetic in a supercharged engine.

low-mid 60's probably. There's always a discrepancy between the "dreamometer" and a real GPS/radar reading, though. The "dreamometer" will probably say something like 70mph.

I dislike the current trend toward ever larger and heavier PWC, though. It's really taking the fun and the affordability out of the sport. The advent of OPAS "off power assisted steering" and added complexity of the ever-thirstier engines combined with a less playful hull design [than the previous generation] has made me rethink getting into PWC [at least any new one]. Honda has a turbocharged PWC also.

Honestly, at 60 mph and over it gets rather hard to see without goggles. I fell and hit the water at 50 once. It wasn't nice.

I just bought a 99 GTXRFI Seadoo. 10 foot long and has the 782cc engine, two stroke, from what I read, has been the bread and butter for SeaDoo for some years and has been tried and tested. This one had only 57 hours on it. Basically a garage queen. I've had her up to 60, 64 is max. I figured the supercharged ones would hit 80 or so. Agree with you on the size. I was looking at some newer ones and they were pretty big.

PPG. The owner of SEA-DOO.net is the sole distributor in North America for ROTAX Racing for PWC. Apparently Bombardier feels that Glen is OK.
It is a privately owned site, and as such posts are at the descretion of the owner. Like it or not, "Free speech" doesn't mean speech free of consequences. I've read numerous negative posts on that site. They must conform to simple rules as far as being factual, and civil. Personal attacks are not allowed.
As I've learned from this site and the many knowledgable posters, Using the correct TYPE of oil is more important the the Brand you use. The environment that these PWC motors operate in is very rough, the buyers demand high performance, and minimal maintenance. It is an engineering challenge to provide these elements and still keep the environmental lobby at bay.
If ROTAX specs non-synthetic oil, why would you think AMSOIL knows better?
I've used some of the AMSOIL product and I think for the most part they are OK for the specified use. I will say that I have recieved bad info from their tech department on more than one occasion. I ended up getting the correct info from this site.
The 99 GTXRFI is a Great boat with a proven power plant.
The new 4 stroke motors are big, heavy, complex, and powerful. They will easily propel the 800lb three seaters over 60mph, and get there quickly.
I do my own wrenching, so I'm sticking with the DI two strokes for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back