'03-'10 Chrysler PT Cruiser: how are them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them be a piece-o'-junk.

Seriously, they have a major problem with the timing chain. They have an interference engine which means that when the timing chain breaks the valves will hit the pistons and be destroyed.

My brother had one and when it was getting close to 80K miles I warned him that it was an interference engine and that he should have the timing chain done before it breaks. It turns out that doing a timing chain on them is a major job and very expensive. My brother put off having it done and a few months later he called me telling me that he had his whole family in it about 150 miles from home and the timing chain went. That meant that the valves were destroyed and along with the timing chain it would now require new heads and valves. The cost of the job was more than the vehicle was worth. He asked the first mechanic he took it to which was near where it broke down, how much the vehicle was worth as it was and the mechanic said it was not worth anything. He took it to his regular mechanic and asked how much it would cost and the answer was more than the vehicle was worth. He asked that mechanic how much would he give him for the vehicle as is and the mechanic said $400. My brother asked if he could remove the new tires, and the mechanic said that the new tires were why he was willing to give him $400 for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
My Mopar mechanic once told me they were basically a Neon with a different body.

This is 100% true, actually, at least for this model year range.

Avoid these cars like the plague, unless you find one SUPER cheap, and are mechanically inclined.. and even then, be VERY wary.

There's no way I would ever own one of them.

Nothing inherently wrong with the PT Cruiser, the biggest problem is maintenance or lack there of. The 2.4 in them is a reliable engine but they, like any other engine, will not last long if driven with the temp gauge pegged till the engine dies. As for the timing belt, it has a change interval. Don't change it and it will eventualy break. When the belt breaks the valves will NOT hit the pistons, contrary to what the "expertz" are saying. This doesn't mean there will be no damage though, it depends on how the belt fails.

If you don't know the maintenance history and the car looks beat, it probably is. Best to stay away.

The valves won't hit the pistons, but they will hit each other.

Also when you do the timing belt, one of the cams has to have the mark one tooth off.

If I would even consider one, it would be for the utility of it.
Even then, I would find an HHR and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Pretty much junk. We work on lots of them. The timing belt is a huge job and must be done on time, they can and will bend valves when it breaks. Also must remove the intake manifold to get to the spark plugs.

I always see people complain that you have to remove the intake to change the spark plugs. Yes, that's true, but removing the intake on these cars is EASY! I did a spark plug change on one of these before, and it was definitely NOT a difficult job. There are plenty of things on a PT Cruiser that are a PITA to repair or replace (I'm not saying they're easy to work on in general) but spark plugs is not one of them.

Have 4 of em.

If you can find one that has been maintained they are a good car. like every 4 cylinder they have maintenance on the timing belt every 100K

if you want to have a lot of fun find a GT stick. one of Mine stock put 227 WHP 258WTQ on a dynojet with no mods;)

week points are the LCA easily fixed with 70$ moog replacement and an hour time plus an alignment.

per the comment on plugs, yes if you get one with plastic intake it takes a whole of 6 screws to remove the upper intake and 10 minutes to change the plugs! THe folks whio dont own one, dont have a clue.

GT's come with heated leather, infinity sund systems. The 4 doors have tons of room, can fold seats or remove them.

These are one of the easiest cars to work on other than the timing belt job, pay a dealer the money to do that, everything else is cake.

Best thing is they are so [censored] cheap now if you can find one that has been maintained. My oldest 03 Gt has 160K and climbing, my others are convetibles, got them with no miles and cheap, best car deals I ever made, one had 4K miles another 11K miles and one 40K miles. They all run like a top.

Put a bigger set of sway bars, good rubber and a mopar computer or Daiblo and you can have a lot of fun, beats the heck out of the generic cars from that era. Plus relatively good on gas, 30 mpg highway and 26sh day in day out.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The valves won't hit the pistons, but they will hit each other.

Also when you do the timing belt, one of the cams has to have the mark one tooth off.

They don't always hit each other. If the belt shears teeth around the crank sprocket, the valves remain undamaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back