02 Ford F150 5.4L 4000k miles a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Ford F150 5.4L that I drive about 4000k miles a year?

About 3-6 miles a day. 3 miles to work and back with an occasional drop my daughter off at school which adds about 3 miles to the round trip.

I do a 40 mile round trip minute highway drive every 3 weeks to get a haircut.

I am using Oreilly House Brand 5w20 Oil and either a Motorcraft FL-820 or a Wix Filter.

I am a little over a year on the oil and filter change and it is right at 4,000 miles.

I have always changed it at 5,000 miles before but since I took this job close to home a year ago I think I might should rethink my OCI.

What do you guys think.

With all that short driving and over a year I'd just go ahead and change it since its dino.

Your 1yr/5K oci is a solid plan.

I think your yearly plan on Conv. and a MC or Wix filter is good. Keep on keepin' on.

Originally Posted By: volk06
With all that short driving and over a year I'd just go ahead and change it since its dino.

You thinking once a year or twice a year?

I also have about 7 Microguard Filters from O'reily from when I got the special on the oil. I haven't used any of those though.

Originally Posted By: glazer1972
What do you guys think.

2003 F-150 5.4 here. 225,000 hard miles.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-20 & Motorcraft FL-820S has worked great -- expect this oil to get quite dark/dirty looking.

Other forum members:
OVERKILL prefers Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30
Trav recommends Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20

I've yet to try either.

Mine has 119,000 on the odometer now. I have always used 5w20 Conventional in it.

These new Microguards are MGL2 that I got with the specials on the oil are the Fram made ones. Should I chunk them in the garbage or maybe try to talk them into letting me exchange them for something else.

Last edited:
Mine has 119,000 on the odometer now. I have always used 5w20 Conventional in it.

These new Microguards are MGL2 that I got with the specials on the oil are the Fram made ones. Should I chunk them in the garbage or maybe try to talk them into letting me exchange them for something else.

Definitely don't trash them -- just go back to O'Reilly for store credit & exchange with the FL-820S (which are carried on shelf at my local store for $3.99).

These modular engines routinely rack up high mileage on conventional oil, so the decision to change to something else is entirely yours...even discounting other aspects (low temp performance, etc), I prefer any of the three oils listed above based on cleanliness.

I don't know your maintenance history, but if you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest running a couple treatments of fuel system cleaner (Redline SI-1, Techron, etc).

Sorry about the 4000k. I meant to put 4000m. I have run techron thought periodically. I have also used seafoam at times. I also screwed up on the oil brand. After I got some out of the shop I realized it was Mobil 5000. They let me trade the filters in at Oreilly on a new oil container so alls good. I'll keep using Wix or Motorcraft.

They let me trade the filters in at Oreilly on a new oil container so alls good.

What oil did you end up going with?

Sorry about the 4000k. I meant to put 4000m. I have run techron thought periodically. I have also used seafoam at times. I also screwed up on the oil brand. After I got some out of the shop I realized it was Mobil 5000. They let me trade the filters in at Oreilly on a new oil container so alls good. I'll keep using Wix or Motorcraft.

Mobil Super 5000 is an excellent oil. I use that over the house brand any day.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Mobil Super 5000 is an excellent oil. I use that over the house brand any day.

Agreed

Wasn't FX running 10000 mile drains with this oil last year? I think it was this oil.
Anyways blackstone labs has stated that oil doesn't have an expiry date so I wouldn't ,and don't worry about time in the sump unless the vehicle has gone in for storage. If going in to storage for the season I'd change the oil but if you're driving it daily time in sump is irrelevant and miles is all that matters.
Based on the short trips I Lubricity of a material cannot be directly measured, so tests are performed to quantify a lubricant's performance. This is done by determining how much wear is caused to a surface by a given friction-inducing object in a given amount of time. Other factors such as surface size, temperature, and pressure are also specified. The greater the wear scar the worse the lubricity. For this reason lubricity is also termed a substance's anti-wear property.
Examples of test setups include "Ball-on-cylinder" and "Ball-on-three-discs" tests.think a 5000 mile interval is a prudent interval. I'd say go longer if you had more weekly highway miles but you're only getting the oil up to operating temp once every 3 weeks so I think your interval is likely perfect.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
They let me trade the filters in at Oreilly on a new oil container so alls good.

What oil did you end up going with?

The 5w20 Mobil Clean 5000 for this oil change. The rest of what I have in stock is 5w20 Mobil Super 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back