01 Suburban 1500 4x4 poor handling new shocks

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I have terrible luck with aftermarket springs, They rarely have the correct rate....Too soft or too harsh! In a heavy such as a Suburban, Bilstein B6/4600 all the way!

These ones lifted the back end of my truck quite a bit and are pretty stiff but I like that. And I cranked the torsion bars to level it. I like it stiff. But it's still too squishy. What about I slap some Rancho 9000XLs on it and set them to one of the harsher settings? Would that help? I am under the impression that Rancho and Monroe are crap but I can get Rancho cheap through work.
Adjusting the ride height in the rear and cranking around the torsion bars, probably part of why it doesn't ride that well.

I intentionally didn't mention those things initially because honestly it didn't make a difference at all.

OK... an update... I replaced the front shocks with KYB MonoMax. The KYB Excel-G shocks I took out could be compressed by hand but it took my entire weight to compress the MonoMax shocks which made them a tad difficult to install but we got it done. It's sooooo much better. I will change the back ones too. I don't think the Excel-G are bad, they are fine for gentle drivers, but I'm just demanding too much from a stock replacement shock IMO. The steering is still a little sloppy, so there is more work to be done, but the excessive body roll is no longer an issue. And I think it'll get even better when I replace the rear shocks.

Last edited:
Back