01 Jeep 4.0 Amsoil 5w30 8500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a grand cherokee, 33k on the odo. Gets mostly back roads driving and the occasional trip.

Amsoil air filter and oil filter. This is the second oci on amsoil, first one I ran for about 5k. I put this oil in right when it started to get cold (cant remember the date) and ran it to the beginning of march.

aluminum...4
chromium...2
iron.......31
copper.....3
lead.......2
tin........1
moly.......7
nickel.....1
manganese..0
silver.....0
titanium...0
potassium..7
boron......31
silicon....8
sodium.....7
calcium....2466
magnesium..793
phosphorus.887
zinc.......1100
barium.....0

sus vis @ 210f.....71.4 (56-68)
flashpoint.........355f (should be >365)
fuel...............0.5
antifreeze.........0
water..............0
insolubles.........0.5

Good report other then the oil thickend out of grade. Jeeps clearly like oils that are high 30 to low 40wt and oils with higher amounts of ZDP. T

[ April 19, 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Nice report-I'd take it.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Good report other then the oil thickend out of grade. Jeeps clearly like oils that are high 30 to low 40wt and oils with higher amounts of ZDP. T

Yeah it didnt bother me much that it had thickened up a bit since so many people run 40wt in these engines anyway. Im glad I found an oil that can take this thing through the entire winter without having to change it in the cold. BTW no makeup oil at all.

I just remembered one thing, It was a plain old FRAM oil filter that I used for the entire interval. I had it left over so I figured I might as well use it.

One question, if I continue to see this thickening at this interval, would it be smart to back off a thousand or two in the interest of a cleaner engine?

I think you should stretch the OCI out to 10K and change the filter and top up at 5K. The oil in my 4.0 still looks clean at 8.5K, at 10K I'll have to make up my mind whether to press on to 15K or drain and sample.

You should not have to worry about having dirty engine enternals when using a good synthetic oil that is changed every 10K or so.

I am doing another 8-9k interval to see if the thickening and low flashpoint continue. This time with an amsoil filter.

The only problem was the car was in an accident, so the jarring could possibly impact the silicon level, and the starting and stopping of the engine while it was in the shop probably added some fuel/metals. Its getting a 600 mile trip tomorrow so that should burn up the fuel though.

My original intention was to stretch all my cars out to 10k intervals, but it looks like to do this I might have to change the filter at 5k. In that case Ill switch to the bigger ST8A.

[ May 17, 2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Santo Fontana ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back