Question for Ford 4.0 SOHC owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I have an 01 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC V6. I am about to start the Auto RX cleaning phase, and have been giving some thought to switching motor oil. I have been using Mobil 1 5w 30, with what I assume to be good results, for the past 25,000 miles. I was kind of curious to see how many of you have used Pennzoil Platinum, and what you thought. It would also be interesting to see a "poll" of what you use and have found to be best for this motor.

I have a 99 4.0 OHV and used Supertech dino 5W30 for the whole ARX experience (still in the 2nd rinse phase). Plenty of junk came out of the pan on the 1st clean and rinse, nothing on the 2nd clean (but oil was black). Very happy with the results, truck runs better.

I went with ST because it was cheap, and should have a very "basic" add pack so as to not interfere with the ARX. I used ST filters as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I'm using Castrol GTX and an ST filter with the Auto RX - I'm asking about after I'm done with the RX.

Oh, in that case, ask me in about 1300 miles because the 2nd rinse phase will be done and I have PP waiting in the wings.
grin.gif

If it were my engine, I would take note of the fact that Ford recognizes that it has special oil needs above and beyond the 5W20 they have specified for all of their other engines. I would note that it is a German made engine, and I would look for an oil specified to meet the requirements of most German engines, i.e., a good 5W40 without the SM rating.

Quote:

I would note that it is a German made engine, and I would look for an oil specified to meet the requirements of most German engines, i.e., a good 5W40 without the SM rating.

So why is it that Ford recommends 5W30 for these engines and always has? Is there some universal German engine builders book of cleances that I am not aware of?

Quote:

Quote:

I would note that it is a German made engine, and I would look for an oil specified to meet the requirements of most German engines, i.e., a good 5W40 without the SM rating.

So why is it that Ford recommends 5W30 for these engines and always has? Is there some universal German engine builders book of cleances that I am not aware of?

Ford's recommendation of 5W30 in this engine is an obvious recognition of the fact that their otherwise universal choice of 5W20 for their engines is not adequate for this application. 5W30 probably gives satisfactory engine life, and is readily available. But, like I said, if it were MY engine, I would use a European formula 5W40 without the SM designation. An example Castrol Syntec 5W40 carries ratings of SL, SJ, and CF. It is said to be formulated for Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Volkswagen, and is said to be Porsche "approved". Ford is probably reluctant to specify such a special oil, but this is the type of oil that I would use.

I'm running Pennzoil Platinum in mine, but will probably go to Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 5W30 once I change it. Schaeffer has always been fantastic, and since the place I get it sponsors our race car, one hand kind of washes the other this way.

I will say though that the Pennzoil Platinum made a definite difference in startup noise compared to what was in it before. Since a Ford dealer sold it, I'd assume they used Motorcraft oil when they did the setup on it. But then again, I really don't know what brand they have on tap there. It may not be Motorcraft. Doesn't really matter to me...It only stayed in there a couple hundred miles.

I have a few UOA's posted from my old 4.0 SOHC Ranger and my new 4.0 SOHC Sport Trac. Do a Search of the Gas UOA Forum with my s/n.
Plain M1 and Motorcraft were fine, best UOA was with Pennzoil Platinum, all in 5w-30
M1 T&SUV was, ah, not so good.
crushedcar.gif

The dealers offer a deal with the 5w-20 because they buy it in bulk since that is what most late-model Fords take. But yes, the 4.0 SOHC is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back