Aux. Spin on Transmission Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall a few years back the basic Saturn 4 cylinder cars used spin on filters for their automatics. This seems like a great idea; you can get rid of a lot of debris quickly. Why are there no current automatics that use a spin on filter?

The 45FRE on my Jeep does have an spin on along with the pancake filter. Only problem is they put it inside the pan...
smirk.gif
so you can't easily change it. That's why I added the external hydraulic filter.

I also have no idea what the rating is for the factory filters are either.

I see ...they're sold as a kit. 20x1.5mm stud type spin on. It doesn't (apparently) seem available separately. I've seen that type of filter before (male thread)..but can't recall where (I've seen too many filters
crazy.gif
"I see filters!
shocked.gif
Everywhere ..all the time
blush.gif
)

20000.jpg

Actually Gary, you can get the filters separately at the dealer, which is where I got mine. The factory also recommends RTV for the gasket which is what I used.

And the spin on filter actually is a female thread, but they include a plastic "double male" fitting with the filter.

"I also have no idea what the rating is for the factory filters are either."
I need to go back to English class apparently.
pat2.gif

well since we determined that the remote mount oil filter (sans internal BPV) with a Puro PL30001 filter (which *HAS* an internal BPV) will be acceptable for filtering the trans without worries of clogging, why don't I do this-

stick a permacool sandwich adapter between the filter and the filter head, and use it's output to feed the pressure side of the BPF, and feed the output from BPF into the return on the sandwich adapter. This will be restricted by the restriction valve inside the sandwich adapter (2 pounds of delta, right Garry?) and will be in parallel with the rest of the cooling circuit for the trans, thus not disturbing normal full flow.

Gary mentioned something about the sandwich adapter buzzing when used in this manner. Not sure I'll even hear it being that it'll be behind a diesel engine.....

also, I'm going to install the entire setup off of the return line to the transmission. Reason: I've gone through 4 transmissions in this truck and while I do plan on cleaning out the trans cooler and lines, it's not guaranteed that there won't be some bit hiding in the corners waiting to violate my expensive new trans. I really think this is largely what's caused my transmission woes on this truck (well that and being stupid and not addressing a seal this last go round). With the filtration as the last obstacle before the fluid returns, there will be nothing to worry about on the contaminant front.

At least, that's the plan. If there's something regarding pressure dynamics I don't know, speak up. Trans is a 700R4, purely hydraulic.

Quote:

Gary mentioned something about the sandwich adapter buzzing when used in this manner. Not sure I'll even hear it being that it'll be behind a diesel engine.....

You will be able to feel it with your hand if you cannot hear it.

No ..not the poppet valve. You just drill a small hole (VERY SMALL) in the sandwich.

The sandwich is essentially a staggered wall that separates the engine and the normal path to the filter ..forcing fluid to take the long road through (normally) the cooler. It has a trap door escape hatch if it's needed that's a short cut (through the wall). Sometimes, you need to make another one ..a VERY SMALL ONE to handle the traffic.

well I have one on the way. I am sure it will make more sense when I have one in hand.

Anything wrong with running my filtration on the cooler return line to the trans? I think it's probably highly advisable, given this truck's history with transmissions....

My soon to be install. As soon as the space where my tonsils used to be heals.
transfilter.jpg

Until now it stands like a mighty robot from movie "black hole" guarding me. Soon he shall guard my transmission.

Yes those are fuel line barbs on the end
smile.gif

They won't slip of. I tried them on my hydraulic line and then had to cut the line off of the barb. I think one clamp will suffice when installed.

Last edited:
Quote:

well I have one on the way. I am sure it will make more sense when I have one in hand.

Anything wrong with running my filtration on the cooler return line to the trans? I think it's probably highly advisable, given this truck's history with transmissions....

Note the depression that the visible port to the right occupies. If you flip it over ..it looks the same. That's a "wall"...it's "stepped" or staggered in depth ..but it's still effectively a wall.
f1971ce8.jpg

Putting it on the return line is fine
dunno.gif

Gary - does Amsoil offer a filter that will fit the NT head ?

Trucku - return line past the cooler is the traditional spot for a filter on a rebuild for the reasons you mentioned. (catch any parts of the previous failed units as they exit the reused cooler)

ATF coolers should be cleaned prior to reuse after ALL transmission rebuilds. If so, nothing there needs catching. Mount the filter anywhere.

Trucku, nice filter. Should last a lifetime. What mount PN are you using? does it have a bypass? flow rate of filter? You should paint the filterhead red and add some "Maximilian" details!

Quote:

Gary - does Amsoil offer a filter that will fit the NT head ?

Only in the Wix and Donaldson part #. FYI, that's a 1-12 thread which comes in a variety fo micron ratings ..but not too many finer than 10um. It's also, IIRC, the same as the Jaguar filter thread.

Quote:

Ah, undummy, The Black Hole. Been awhile.
smile.gif

I realize the cooler should be cleaned. It will be, as I think I mentioned already. However, one can never be sure that the cooler is completely clean and doesn't have some bit of nastiness laying in wait to violate the nice new clean transmission. Thus my plan to install the filter on the return, right before the transmission

Quote:

ATF coolers should be cleaned prior to reuse after ALL transmission rebuilds. If so, nothing there needs catching. Mount the filter anywhere.

Trucku, nice filter. Should last a lifetime. What mount PN are you using? does it have a bypass? flow rate of filter? You should paint the filterhead red and add some "Maximilian" details!

The mount is a HKM04 35GPM with a 25lb bypass. It is plain mount without a sight glass or a threaded hole for the bypass light. Later on the return side I will put in a fitting for temp and pressure feed or I can buy a different mount. I will do whichever is cheaper (tradervar.com has electronic sunpro gauges for good prices and free shipping)
I wanted to got TP bypass, but I think this will do just fine.This will replace my Perma-Cool setup now running a Baldwin B2.

Hydraulic Filters Product Attributes
A - OD (Inches): 3.82
B - Thread Size (Inches): 1 3/8-12
C - Length (Inches): 5.97
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.76
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.48
Product Type Description: HYDRAULIC SPIN-ON, DURAMAX
Primary Application: Donaldson HMK04 ASSEMBLY
Media Type: Synthetic
Efficiency Beta 2 (Micron): 2
Efficiency Beta 20 (Micron): 3
Efficiency Beta 75 (Micron): 5
Application Note: SYNTEQ Media #2

Packaged Dimensions
Country of Origin US
Gross Height in Inches 6.5
Gross Length in Inches 4.2
Drawing Version U
Gross Weight in Pounds 2.2
Gross Width in Inches 4.2

Last edited:
Well I finally was able to get some pics of my Trans filter set up:
tempest2ju3.jpg

tempest1dl9.jpg

tempest3xk1.jpg

tempest4alk8.jpg

tempest3xk1.jpg

The filter is more or less vertical, even though it may not look that way in the pics. I had to shoot them at weird angles to see the filter.

The bracket is actually 2 embossed angle pieces (polyurethane) glued together that I had left over from putting the blinds up in house (no kidding!).

Many thanks to Gary Allen for processing these pics for me so that they could be posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back