AutoRX before and after

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, its been a while since I last posted. You may remember a thread i started called "Extremely Dirty Head."

Here is what the head looked like before ARX:
 -

This is what it looks like now, after one treatment, following the directions perfectly:

-

That head is headed for the junkyard here soon
grin.gif

Refresh our memories again as to what engine this is. (And why you added exhaust headers.)
To me it looks like the sludge is much softer and more manageable. Keep going.

It's a Kia. Micho, when you say after one treatment, do you mean after 1500 miles or have you completed the 2000 mile rinse as well?

Looks more like a Mazda Protege FS-DE engine to me.
That yellow dipstick and the hand on the heat shield are dead giveaways.
Plus the camgears look like Miata ones.

IIRC, the cleaning goes on a little longer then just the prescribed treatment frame of time. That member who really documented his Audi engine showed cleanup thousands of miles beyond his second treatment.

With the cam cover off, a nylon parts brush and a gallon of gasoline would cut through that sludge like butter. But then the engine compartment would be a total mess from the brush flicking all the liquified sludge all over the place.
shocked.gif

In the previous post, he referred to a '01 Kia Sephia with 50,136 miles. It helps to include the make and model and no of miles of the car of truck in question.

Then I'm guessing that it's the Kia version of the Mazda FP/F8 motor, a cheaper 1.8L dohc F-series.

Get a plastic spoon and start scooping?

So what cause this sludge to begin with?

Lack of proper maintenance or just an inferior engine?

I'd run fully synthetic oil for a few changes at 5K changes and it will clean it.

I would also doubt that the sludge itself will really cause an engine problem.

However the reason the sludge got there in the first place might cause (or may have already) an engine problem.

Sorry for lack of me responding, but between work and college, i have been pressed for time. The car is a 2001 Kia Sephia, in the original photo it has around 50,000 miles. In the latter photo, it has a bit ofer 55,000 miles. I am the second owner of this car, (I got it at 40,000 miles) and I highly suspect the original owner never changed the oil, just topped it off. Funny thing is, when I bought the car, I checked all the fluids like you should, and all seemed normal! The reason why that head is going to the junkyard is because I just put a new ported, polished, gasket matched, milled, and 5 angle valve job head on there, with custom cams too!
grin.gif
I am now running Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W30. I think I answered all questions
gr_eek2.gif

*edit* it is a Kia made 1.8L engine. Kia did use the Mazda BP engine in this car until 97, at which time they developed this engine.

Here is the new head:
 -

[ August 31, 2006, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Micho523 ]

you won't clear extreme sludge up overnight with Auto-RX. That's part of its beauty - imagine all that crud circulating throughout your oil system. It's enough to plug up a few oil filters SOLID.

Kia doesn't design engines.
They copy other companies'.
Was Mazda, now Mitsu...

Except for the intake manifold, your engine looks exactly like a Mazda FS-DE, so I'd guess it's probably a copy of the FP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_F_engine#FP

Where'd you get the cams and head from?
FS-ZE cams should work....
Protege or later MX6 heads...

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
Kia doesn't design engines.
They copy other companies'.
Was Mazda, now Mitsu...

Except for the intake manifold, your engine looks exactly like a Mazda FS-DE, so I'd guess it's probably a copy of the FP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_F_engine#FP

Where'd you get the cams and head from?
FS-ZE cams should work....
Protege or later MX6 heads...

It may look the same, but the similiarities stop there unfortunately. It may still be a copy, but kia has done changes to it to make that engine unique to kia. The cams were done by Colt Cams in Canada. The head is from a 2003 Kia Spectra, which is the same engine with larger intake porting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back