Plain 30 WT Synthetic Oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about summer, when the snowblower is put away and the mower is brought out of hibernation.

I'm wondering whether any of the major brands make 30WT synthetic that I can run in my 6.5 HP self-propelled mower. I tried Royal Purple last summer, but really did not see/feel any difference in mower behavior. I've typically run Pennzoil 30 WT. but am open to exploring the synthetic brand. For the cost difference, can anyone provide justification as to why i might want to use synthetic?

Any ideas?

Honestly, no I can't justify it for you. Unless your planning on keeping this mower for the next 50 years, you probably won't see a ned for synth.

Amsoil makes a SAE 30 HDD oil. My dad runs it in his cub cadet because it has a very small sump and is used in ambient temps from -10f to 100f.

If you have a neighbor who runs synth in his car for 3,000 mile OCI's, you can take his used oil and run it. This would more than justify the price of synth oils.

excellent idea! Maybe Ill do this in our new B&S 9hp vertical engine. If I run Truck&SUV CI-4 with under 2% soot loading, from my father's E300 Diesel (3L I6 N/A MB Diesel), it may be an OK oil to use, as it should keep good dispersansy, if run through some filtration, and still be quite solid after 7500 miles of use.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
If you have a neighbor who runs synth in his car for 3,000 mile OCI's, you can take his used oil and run it. This would more than justify the price of synth oils.

I was just mentioned this to my wife a couple nights ago. LOL.

The Amsoil 30 wt is only available in gallons, not in quarts.

-

quote:

Originally posted by gsnod:
Thinking about summer, when the snowblower is put away and the mower is brought out of hibernation.

I'm wondering whether any of the major brands make 30WT synthetic that I can run in my 6.5 HP self-propelled mower. .....

The notion of a single grade synthetics is sort of a fiction, since many synthetic base stocks are inherently multi-grade or nearly so.

A good choice would be the 10W-40 Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. It's designed for high heat high stress use, has special additives to prevent corrosion in long storage, and will outperform the SAE 30 oils in every parameter.

The 20W-50 Mobil 1 and 5W-40 Delvac 1/SUV would also be worth looking at.

quote:

The notion of a single grade synthetics is sort of a fiction, since many synthetic base stocks are inherently multi-grade or nearly so.

Mickey's comment is worth saving somewhere for future reference.

The Briggs Small Engine Oil Chart has listed 5W-30 & 10W-30 syns for a couple of years. The Briggs private label syn engine oil is a 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Keep an eye on the engine oil level, as some consumption may show up with a 5W or 10W-30 syn oil in some engines, due to loses thru valve guides or piston rings.

When using a synthetic oil in a push mower, keep in mind that the oil gets contaminated with dust ingested thru the carburetor & still should be changed for every mowing season.

No dust/dirt problems on my lawn since it's thick & plush with no bald spots. Therefore, I'm able to limit my synthetic oil changes to every three years using Mobil I 15W-50.

I keep a stock of this for my lawn mower
smile.gif

I've been using this for almost two years now and have had wonderful results with it one my 6.5HP Tecumseh and 17HP B&S.

The tractor was in sad shape when I got it from the previous owner. An application of AutoRX over the current mowing season has helped wonders, I've noticed a particularly significant difference in fuel consumption toward the end of the cleaning stage

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
The Amsoil 30 wt is only available in gallons, not in quarts.

And your point is?

I see many people here who have at least 5 years worth of oil stock piled for the vehicles. Why not have a 3-4 year supply of oil for your lawn mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back