Mobil 1EP 5W20 and oil filter, 07 Honda Accord K24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. After months of research on here, I figured its time I make a contribution! Here's a UOA using Mobil 1 EP with the Mobil 1 EP oil filter. Comments/questions? Thanks!

image_zps680d2fb7.jpg
[/URL]

YAWN......

that's a good thing
grin.gif

Everything looks great. Low insols, low 'wear metals', viscosity good. With the FP being 365 I suspect there's more fuel in the oil than blackstone is reporting.

This a short tripper, or does it get out on the highway often?

K24 is that the 4 banger ? I have the V-6 in my 07 Accord and run (depending on whats on hand or on sale) PP or M1 both in 5-20. im doing 6,500 mile OCI's without UOA's and just figured i was safe.

Thanks for the contribution! It is always nice to see a great engine/oil combo. I noticed what webfors did, the FP is a little low what kind of driving pattern do you have?

Thanks and Welcome!

Thanks for the comments!

I'm on pace to drive about 22000 miles this year in Houston. 75% highway... 37-44 miles one way to work 4 times a week and rarely any stop and go. However the car is also subjected to quick "cold" starts and repositioning to and from my driveway since I have a one-car garage but that rarely happens. Right before I changed my oil I started cold and let it idle for about 2 minutes and shut off and drained the oil.

Any other recommendations? Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: dmiko
Thanks for the UOA! What was the OLM showing for the oil life percentage?

The OLM was 0% -73 miles.

First off,
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: pilotx86
I started cold and let it idle for about 2 minutes and shut off and drained the oil.

Hondas seem to run pretty rich when the engine is cold. If you do a UOA again, I bet you'd see different flash point and fuel numbers if you drove it home from work and then parked it and drained once it cooled off.

I have been running dealer bulk dino oil to 0% OLM. Are you going to extend the OCI with the M1 EP? Seems wasteful to run M1 EP only to 0% OLM. I wish TBN was done to see how much life is left in this oil.
I have been running dino to 7.5K (90% highway, 18K miles a year) and thinking about running M1 EP to 15K. This is in 2007 Accord K24 as well.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

...and thanks for sharing.

You are at the mileage where quite a few recommend changing the pcv valve, an easy DIY, $20 part. Go with Honda OEM if you have not changed it yet.

Like previously mentioned a longer highway run before the oil change is recommended to burn off any moisture or fuel.

What is your average mpg?

My average MPG ranges from 27 MPG to as high as 31 MPG (not using the air conditioner).

I do plan to extend oil changes north of 10,000, but gradually. Will be checking in later on with more UOA's for this car and my other car, an 07 Camry 2VZ-FE.

I have been running dealer bulk dino oil to 0% OLM. Are you going to extend the OCI with the M1 EP? Seems wasteful to run M1 EP only to 0% OLM. I wish TBN was done to see how much life is left in this oil.
I have been running dino to 7.5K (90% highway, 18K miles a year) and thinking about running M1 EP to 15K. This is in 2007 Accord K24 as well.

I just bought this car in July 2013 and this is it's first oil change from when I first got it. This was its first run with synthetic as well. I'm trying to extend to 10,000 mile OCI's because based on my research on this forum, this engine is very capable of doing it with a high quality synthetic. Oh, and I hate changing the oil filter on this car. At least Honda got it right with the 08 Accord
grin.gif

Last edited:
I changed the oil filter on my 07 Accord by simply reaching it from the top of the engine. Didn't even lift the car, just pulled the oil through the dipstick tube using an oil extractor, then changed the oil filter by reaching from the top. Some oil spilled, but I had an absorbent mat under the car.

I changed the oil filter on my 07 Accord by simply reaching it from the top of the engine. Didn't even lift the car, just pulled the oil through the dipstick tube using an oil extractor, then changed the oil filter by reaching from the top. Some oil spilled, but I had an absorbent mat under the car.

dmiko, please do know I am forever grateful that you pointed that out. Just went out to my car and realized I can access it easier from the top of the engine rather than underneath. Almost as easy as my old 1990 Camry V6...didn't even have to jack that car up to reach the oil drain plug or oil filter. Thanks!

No problem. Also, some recommend putting a 1-gallon ziplock bag over the filter while removing it so that you minimize spills and keeping hands clean.

Looks similar to an '02 Odyssey UOA I posted a week or two ago. My copper was higher (7), and insolubles lower ( < .01 ).

I also use M1 non-EP 5W20 and M1 filter .

No problem. Also, some recommend putting a 1-gallon ziplock bag over the filter while removing it so that you minimize spills and keeping hands clean.

Save the Ziplock bag, use the grocery plastic bag instead.

My S2000 filter is easy to reach from top too, with an oil extractor I can change oil and filter in my S2000 without getting under the car too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back