Toyota Back Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really didn't care for the 5w20 in my 05 Matrix. I was going to the Ford dealer for 5w20 syn-blend for a few changes. Then they put in 5w30 and I like that much better. Not as rev-happy and harsh. Seems to be smoother when accelerating.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I really didn't care for the 5w20 in my 05 Matrix. I was going to the Ford dealer for 5w20 syn-blend for a few changes. Then they put in 5w30 and I like that much better. Not as rev-happy and harsh. Seems to be smoother when accelerating.

I'll probably use 5w20 in the winter months and switch back to 10w30 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

I put Mobil 1 0w20 in an 06 Corolla and initially it sounded a bit louder but not objectionably so. After a while it went dead silent and to my ears even quieter than it was with 5w30.
I think sometimes we should get over the perceived initial noise increase (real or imagined)and see what happens as time goes by.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Why switch back and forth? That is the point of multi grade, so you don't have to.

Some cars built for multi-grade would still call for different grades based on temperatures. Ford example, my car says
0w30 or 0w40 At or below -10f
5w30 above that
10w30 allowed at 100F or above.

And back in the 1980s, some auto makers would have a huge complex chart telling you what multi-viscosity oil was correct based on temperature.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Now, what exactly is the "proof"?

The fact that someone on the internet said so?

Find me someone from Toyota, I'll listen.

The chart, and a similar one for Lexus models, can be found on several Toyota / Lexus forums. The charts are thought to have originated in Canada, so it may not apply to U.S. specification models.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim

The chart, and a similar one for Lexus models, can be found on several Toyota / Lexus forums. The charts are thought to have originated in Canada, so it may not apply to U.S. specification models.

The fact that they surfaced on forums and were "thought" to originate in Canada do little to authenticate it.

The fact that they surfaced on forums and were "thought" to originate in Canada do little to authenticate it.

Good point. Same chart same story that goes along with it.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim

Read the first post. My local Toyota dealer also authenticated this as Canadian.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40208

Reason for edit: Added link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back