Mobil 1 5W/20 EP, 9517 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had some interesting discussion at:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...602#Post2784602

05_CIVIC_VP-080413edit.jpg

Filter was a Honda A01

Like the other thread I still state this is FAR from a 15k OCI oil in such a EASY on oil engine.

This less than 10k run proves it IMO.

I'd love to see a 10k run with another oil. Bet it would be the same or even better.

Thanks for the UOA!

Bill

Typically boring UOA; excellent performance as expected from a top-tier syn and Honda engine.

I suspect this could be extended; more monitoring is warranted, if so. 10k miles is a no-brainer here. 15k miles would be a min for this application. While a UOA is nice to validate the result, it's not necessary with M1 EP products if you stay within the 15k miles. Past that, put all the tools into action (UOAs, PCs, visual clues, compression checks, etc).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Like the other thread I still state this is FAR from a 15k OCI oil in such a EASY on oil engine.

I'd love to see a 10k run with another oil. Bet it would be the same or even better.

Thanks for the UOA!

Bill

As we've seen in btanchors UOA's, even oils like Amsoil in his Tundra had a Tbn of 2 after only 5k miles. I'm not sure I agree with you.

I don't put much faith in B/S Labs TBN number.

The oil here is in great shape.

That's not bad at all considering zero make up oil in over 9000 miles and 9+ months - likely a bunch of short trips involved. Was it low on oil at time of change? Even half a quart would give the TBN a boost and likely get you to the 15k mark with ease.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Thanks for the UOA!

Bill

Bill, I think you are partly right about M1 EP oils. Even XM doesn't say EP is good for 15K in every case. However the people I know doing 15K with EP have no problems doing so even with high miles on their engines. None have never done a UOA.

This has been posted before but relevent to this discussion. This is from XM on TBN retention and 15K and longer OCIs.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2703713

Last edited:
It's partly the fuel quality.

Quote:
As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

Filter

I'm going to make the target OCI 10,000, practically this means it will be changed between 9500 and 10,500 due to scheduling. Mobil says the oil is good for 15,000 miles or 1 year and I don't think it will rack up 15,000 in most years.

Say what you will, but I'm just not interested in pushing it any further.

Sorry but I won't be running any other oils barring some very strange availability problems.

OH and to answer the make up oil question, it was down VERY slightly prior to the change. I would say less than 1/4QT, but I don't top it off unless it drops into the add (which it NEVER has).

Last edited:
Yep, a boringly good report.

While I agree you could probably go past 10K, you have good reasons not to and I support that choice. You have a good formula here... stick with it!

FYI, I run 10K on my Honda, but that usually stretches out to 18 months to 2 years. My UOAs are just as boring as yours ( : < ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back