01 Honda CRV, 4,000 Miles, Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA. Im up to 2k on current fill, ill go to 6k and sample again
laugh.gif

HCOBVWj.png

Wow they took ALL the moly out of Maxlife? They had reduced it when they went from SM to SN, didn't realize it was completely gone now.

Looks like it is doing nicely for you though.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
um... er... you sure this is Maxlife?

100% sure, I know what oil I put in my engine lol.
Heres a pic I took when I did a bunch of maintenance that day:
8fRCHfQl.jpg

so much for everyone saying the smoothness of Maxlife comes from its moly content lol! Goes to show Moly isnt end all be all of oil additives. Great report. Would love to see the UOA of the 6k run.

I'm a little suspicious of this UOA by Blackstone.
I had a Polaris UOA done of a 4K run of Maxlife NG SN last summer, and it certainly did show normal levels of moly.
Maybe an email to Valvoline, and then ask Blackstone to run this one again?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I had a Polaris UOA done of a 4K run of Maxlife NG SN last summer, and it certainly did show normal levels of moly.

Will Blackstone run it again? Should I link them to the uoa? What should I ask valvoline?

Maxlife Nextgen has NOT been reformulated to meet Dexos requirements, its still the old formulation. This is confirmed via a phone conversation with Valvoline cust service. I had a Chevy calling for Dexos oil and I was out of the new Maxlife so called to check whether Nextgen would be a suitable alternative. Its not.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
So this was the newer "dexos" Maxlife?

Idk what dexos is but this is the older stuff, it doesnt have the starbusrt thing on the front. The new ones I got have that thing on the front.

Lol im not a expert or anything ;D

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
So this was the newer "dexos" Maxlife?

Idk what dexos is but this is the older stuff, it doesnt have the starbusrt thing on the front. The new ones I got have that thing on the front.

Lol im not a expert or anything ;D

Nah, its the new formula bottled in the old jugs. They made the switch to the new formulation back in August of last year, at least for their bulk products. They told me they were going to keep using the old jugs till they run out and even then not change it too much since Maxlife is by far their most popular product and they were worried people would stop using it if they advertised it as their syn blend product.

Hi all.

For clarity, it was Aug, 2012 Maxlife went "Moly Free"? I'm just curious because I'm sitting on 40 qts of it of various dates.

Wow they took ALL the moly out of Maxlife? They had reduced it when they went from SM to SN, didn't realize it was completely gone now.

Looks like it is doing nicely for you though.

I'm not surprised at the lack of Moly, BUT where is the Boron? Seems they have shifted to Sodium based adds, which make it real tough to spot anti freeze contamination.
I wonder if the VOA of Maxlife 10/40 is the same?

Last edited:
If you show Blackstone that they're clearly wrong, they will rerun a sample.
However, bourne has indicated that cherry flavor Maxlife has been reformulated, while the lime flavor hasn't been.
So, it may be that red bottle Maxlife no longer contains any moly.
I'd still contact Valvoline and ask them, though, since moly has always been a selling point for Maxlife.

Reply I got.

Quote:

The Valvoline MaxLife Motor Oil products no longer contain any Molybdenum content due to some recent product upgrades for the most recent API / ILSAC specifications. We do apologize for the confusion and hope this addresses the issues and please note that this in no way has degraded the product performance or protection in any way. We still stand behind the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Motor Oil products in high mileage engines, as well as new/rebuilt engines as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bourne

Maxlife Nextgen has NOT been reformulated to meet Dexos requirements, its still the old formulation. This is confirmed via a phone conversation with Valvoline cust service. I had a Chevy calling for Dexos oil and I was out of the new Maxlife so called to check whether Nextgen would be a suitable alternative. Its not.

Valvoline has confirmed that the NextGen MaxLife meets the GM dexos 1 spec. Here are the products they have that are suitable for the GM dexos specs.

Valvoline has recently added MaxLife, Synthetic MaxLife and NextGen MaxLife to its list of
lubricants meeting the performance requirements of dexos1. The following products meet all
requirements of the dexos specification and therefore in GM’s terminology will be dexos equivalent oils:
Product Grade dexos spec Other specifications
Synthetic MaxLife 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1/A5
SynPower 5W-20 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
SynPower 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1/A5
DuraBlend 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
MaxLife 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
NextGen MaxLife 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
SynPower MST 5W-30 dexos™2 API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4-04, ACEA C3-08, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04,VW 502.00/505.00/505.01

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Reply I got.

Quote:

The Valvoline MaxLife Motor Oil products no longer contain any Molybdenum content due to some recent product upgrades for the most recent API / ILSAC specifications. We do apologize for the confusion and hope this addresses the issues and please note that this in no way has degraded the product performance or protection in any way. We still stand behind the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Motor Oil products in high mileage engines, as well as new/rebuilt engines as well.

That's interesting, as I presume it relates to either CAT or DPF deposits. Maxlife did not have a high enough level of Moly to cause either filter loading or sludge issues, so it must be an ash issue. In real old engines I like a dash or two of Moly, so I'm shocked to see it gone missing.
Ammused to read a poster thought it was Blackstones fault, I suppose if the person taking the spectro readings was drunk or the typist out to lunch anything is possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trademark

Valvoline has confirmed that the NextGen MaxLife meets the GM dexos 1 spec. Here are the products they have that are suitable for the GM dexos specs.

Valvoline has recently added MaxLife, Synthetic MaxLife and NextGen MaxLife to its list of
lubricants meeting the performance requirements of dexos1. The following products meet all
requirements of the dexos specification and therefore in GM’s terminology will be dexos equivalent oils:
Product Grade dexos spec Other specifications
Synthetic MaxLife 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1/A5
SynPower 5W-20 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
SynPower 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1/A5
DuraBlend 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
MaxLife 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
NextGen MaxLife 5W-30 dexos™1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
SynPower MST 5W-30 dexos™2 API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4-04, ACEA C3-08, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04,VW 502.00/505.00/505.01

Cool, if they did, must have been after I called them about the choice for the vehicle we were servicing. I just checked all the pds on their website and nowhere on the Nextgen Maxlife pds does it say that it meets Dexos1 specs, full syn Maxlife does confirm meets/exceeds Dexos1 specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back