08 Toy Tundra 5.7L - Castrol Syn 0W30(GC) - 10k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8. Used Toyota OEM filter. No make up added.

TundraGCOnline.jpg

Looks good, how long of an OCI was that?and what filterdid you use?.

Thank you

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I'll be buying a 2013 with the 3UR-FBE 5.7L in the next couple of days. I hope the flex fuel engine looks as good as this.

Does your truck have the tow package? The copper looks very low if it does.

Wow looks great. ZDDP seems a little low, I wonder if they have reduced it a smidge? Previous GC UOA's showed more ZDDP than this one if I recall correctly. Gotta love it though, 10k miles and it's barely sheared at all, good stuff!

Originally Posted By: dernp
It's in the thread. 10,000mi OCI and Toyota OEM filter.

That is correct.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Thanks for posting. I'll be buying a 2013 with the 3UR-FBE 5.7L in the next couple of days. I hope the flex fuel engine looks as good as this.

Does your truck have the tow package? The copper looks very low if it does.

Yepper

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow looks great. ZDDP seems a little low, I wonder if they have reduced it a smidge? Previous GC UOA's showed more ZDDP than this one if I recall correctly. Gotta love it though, 10k miles and it's barely sheared at all, good stuff!

This isn't the latest GC. It is the previous bottle, before they started calling it whatever they call it now...the new bottles have a yellow label (edge with spt or something). I refilled with the yellow label stuff so I will try 12k miles and another OCI and check differences.

On a side note, I am glad I am not being flamed for running a heavy 30W instead of a 0W20. Nothing against 0W20, I will run it again, just wanted to see how GC performed in this engine. So far, I have no complaints. Actually, it exceeded my expectations. Whatever that is worth, because my expectations aren't really based on anything. I suppose I just didn't expect the TBN to be holding as well. I know it's non-linear so not sure how long it would hold up.

Last edited:
Oh and before Dnewton gets in here to give me lessons on ROI, I would like to make it known I buy this stuff when it goes on sale...

OK - you got it at a good price.

Now stretch out that OCI! 10k miles looks good; can go further for sure.

Waste isn't defined by what you paid. It's measured by how much unused potential you throw away. Even though you might have got this oil at a good price, you still dumped fluid that could have gone a lot further. As long as you use this UOA as a stepping stone to longer ones, then you're on the right track.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DavesTundra
Oh and before Dnewton gets in here to give me lessons on ROI, I would like to make it known I buy this stuff when it goes on sale...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
OK - you got it at a good price.

Now stretch out that OCI! 10k miles looks good; can go further for sure.

Waste isn't defined by what you paid. It's measured by how much unused potential you throw away. Even though you might have got this oil at a good price, you still dumped fluid that could have gone a lot further. As long as you use this UOA as a stepping stone to longer ones, then you're on the right track.

Couldn't get away with ROI !
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

I took delivery of a 2013 Tundra yesterday. It has the 5.7L 3UR-FBE engine (FFV). I was surprised when the lady explaining my manuals and maintenance plan told me to bring it in at 2,500 miles or 3 months for it's first oil and filter change. Then every 5K or six months thereafter. Sure enough, that's what I saw again while reading through the booklets this morning.

I also noted the differentials both take 75W-85 GL5, and the t-case takes 75W-90 GL5. The dealer service department solves the multiple fluid requirements by using 80W-90 bulk in everything. Go figure!

are you registered over at the tundratalk forums yet? good place to hang around, especially if you have questions on diy maintenance. congrats on the new beast!

I've been over at tundrasolutions.com for over 13 years, but no others. What is the name of the website you visit?

So far, I think the new Tundra is a lot more truck than my 2000. I think I'll like the engine and tranny much better, but will take some time to get used to the interior. It handles and rides very well considering its size and weight.

After some further reading, it appears that the 2500 mi/ 3 mo OCI is required only if you are using E85 50% or more of the time. Otherwise, it's 5K/ 6 mo OCI's with 0W-20 GF5.

I've been over at tundrasolutions.com for over 13 years, but no others. What is the name of the website you visit?

So far, I think the new Tundra is a lot more truck than my 2000. I think I'll like the engine and tranny much better, but will take some time to get used to the interior. It handles and rides very well considering its size and weight.

tundratalk.net
way better than TS for the 2nd gen Tundra.

After some further reading, it appears that the 2500 mi/ 3 mo OCI is required only if you are using E85 50% or more of the time. Otherwise, it's 5K/ 6 mo OCI's with 0W-20 GF5.

that's correct.

I took delivery of a 2013 Tundra yesterday. It has the 5.7L 3UR-FBE engine (FFV). I was surprised when the lady explaining my manuals and maintenance plan told me to bring it in at 2,500 miles or 3 months for it's first oil and filter change. Then every 5K or six months thereafter. Sure enough, that's what I saw again while reading through the booklets this morning.

I also noted the differentials both take 75W-85 GL5, and the t-case takes 75W-90 GL5. The dealer service department solves the multiple fluid requirements by using 80W-90 bulk in everything. Go figure!
..Doesn't this vehicle have a 7-8 qt pan..any idea why Toyota would recommend a 5k/mi thereafter for such a large oil capacity..

Originally Posted By: steve20
^^^ I would guess because it is a work truck-meant to be worked---hard, in kerappy conditions

Then please explain the recommendations from all the other truck makers?
confused.gif

in some model years, toyota recommends 10k on syn. Not sure why they did it in some years and not in others...all on the 5.7L. I am not speaking on the FF, just the regular 5.7.

What do the big 3 recommend on their 1/2 tons? I assume they prescribe different OCI on different engines. For example, maybe Ford has differences in ecoboost vs their 5L V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back