2.0 WRX 179,134 Miles Rotella T6 Track day oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOI and I'm more than pleased! I have 2 days at Mid Ohio on this oil and 3,000 street miles. This is my daily driver and this is the 4/5 track days this year on it. Just went again this weekend and rolled over 180,000 at Putnam Park. Hope to have many more track days and miles out of this engine!

UOA2.jpg

Let me know what you think, I think Rotella T6 is the Chuck Norris of oils!

This oil has seen track days?
Wow!
Looks really good.
T6 seems like a great choice for a turbo Subie.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wow!
Looks really good.

Yep 2 day weekend at Mid-Ohio. Lots of long full throttle application there. A lot harder on it than my local track (Putnam). I change the oil every 3,000 Miles or a week before every track weekend. Hoping to get over 200,000 and still track it about 10-15 days next year.

Originally Posted By: Atticus
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wow!
Looks really good.

Yep 2 day weekend at Mid-Ohio. Lots of long full throttle application there. A lot harder on it than my local track (Putnam). I change the oil every 3,000 Miles or a week before every track weekend. Hoping to get over 200,000 and still track it about 10-15 days next year.

I do track days on my R1 at putnam, its 35 min from my front door.

Throughout the track weekend which was about a week after the change. I usually burn a 1/2 to 1 quart at the track. Still need to change my PCV valve which i hope will help bring it down a little. I do have an air oil separation system on the car but no catch can, it just drains back through the filler neck.

If I did HPDEs with my WRX, I'd probably run T6 also! Looks like a great report to me!

Best of luck with your high mileage WRX! I've got just over 212k on mine.

Throughout the track weekend which was about a week after the change. I usually burn a 1/2 to 1 quart at the track. Still need to change my PCV valve which i hope will help bring it down a little. I do have an air oil separation system on the car but no catch can, it just drains back through the filler neck.

A new PCV valve didn't help my consumption, which is usually 1-2 qts in 6k miles. I usually burn oil on trips. Grimmspeed or Crawford AOS?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

A new PCV valve didn't help my consumption, which is usually 1-2 qts in 6k miles. I usually burn oil on trips. Grimmspeed or Crawford AOS?

-Dennis

Grimmspeed. Do you have an AOS? It did help with my oil consumption a little. I was burning at least 1 quart every 3k, now it is down a bit. Hard to tell with all the track time in between though. I know most people say turbo Subaru's just like to use some oil. Under normal daily driving I burn 1/2 to 1 quart every 3k which isn't too bad IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

-Dennis

Grimmspeed. Do you have an AOS? It did help with my oil consumption a little. I was burning at least 1 quart every 3k, now it is down a bit. Hard to tell with all the track time in between though. I know most people say turbo Subaru's just like to use some oil. Under normal daily driving I burn 1/2 to 1 quart every 3k which isn't too bad IMO.

No, I don't have one but I've considered it to see if it would help with my consumption. Right now I'm just experimenting with different oils. Driving at a steady 3,500 rpm's probably doesn't help.
grin2.gif
I need a sixth gear!

-Dennis

What's the gearing like in a FXT? 3,500 RPM in 5th in my WRX is ~90 MPH. Lot's of scofflaws like you in the garden state? :0

I must just be lucky in my WRX. Despite several auto-x events and a fair amount of heavily loaded running (bikes, kayaks, camping gear, trailer) I've had no consumption. Knock on wood. Though it's possible I'll see some now that I'm doing longer OCIs.

I have a Grimmspeed AOS, though I didn't have any consumption before I put it on.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
What's the gearing like in a FXT? 3,500 RPM in 5th in my WRX is ~90 MPH. Lot's of scofflaws like you in the garden state? :0

I must just be lucky in my WRX. Despite several auto-x events and a fair amount of heavily loaded running (bikes, kayaks, camping gear, trailer) I've had no consumption. Knock on wood. Though it's possible I'll see some now that I'm doing longer OCIs.

I have a Grimmspeed AOS, though I didn't have any consumption before I put it on.

Probably helps a lot that it is an 07. I haven't met anyone with a 2.0L yet that doesn't have consumption issues. Looking through older threads on the forums people talk about it even when they were new. I doubt I have any chance at lowering it now that I'm over 180k though. lol

32.gif

The gearing is very short and I'm going 80 at 3,500 rpm's. I mainly travel at a steady 80 mph when I drive from NJ to SC a couple of times a year (that would be the slow lane in NC).

Gear ratio's from RalliSpec:
FD = 4.444
19.gif

-Dennis

Probably helps a lot that it is an 07. I haven't met anyone with a 2.0L yet that doesn't have consumption issues. Looking through older threads on the forums people talk about it even when they were new. I doubt I have any chance at lowering it now that I'm over 180k though. lol

Yea, I'm sure your consumption is well established at 180k. Doesn't really hurt anything as long as you keep it topped up. It's possible your catcon will have a slightly shorter life with high Zn and P oil like RT6. I certainly wouldn't sweat it though. It's great to see a turbo Subie used hard going strong at 180k!

32.gif

I didn't realize the gearing was so different on a FXT. The 2.5l WRX and FXT engines are all but identical, I figured the gearbox would be as well.

Yea, I'm sure your consumption is well established at 180k. Doesn't really hurt anything as long as you keep it topped up. It's possible your catcon will have a slightly shorter life with high Zn and P oil like RT6. I certainly wouldn't sweat it though. It's great to see a turbo Subie used hard going strong at 180k!

32.gif

I didn't realize the gearing was so different on a FXT. The 2.5l WRX and FXT engines are all but identical, I figured the gearbox would be as well.

No more catalytic converters for me.
laugh.gif

32.gif

The 2004 FXT is a Frankenstein car.
smile.gif
STI block, WRX TD04 turbo, different intake manifold and ECU. With an STI ECU, STI UP, STI IC, aftermarket DP, and a VF39, a 2004 FXT is usually quicker than a 2004 STI because of the short gearing.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back