Chrysler changes the oil spec for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out they changed the oil spec for the 2013 3.6L Pentastar engine for both the Wrangler and GC from 5W30 to 5W20. 2011-2012 GC and the 2012 Wrangler call for 5W30, the 2013's are all now using 5W20. Is this a move to help stop the cyl heads failing, or CAFE? The heads were re-designed. BTW the 2011-2012 Pentastar engine was not back-spec'd to 5W20.

Please lets not turn this thread into a thick vs. thin argument. I found this interesting and am clueless as to why?

For those of you not familiar with the ticking Pentastar issues and left cylinder head failure look here.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2582048&page=1

Why would Chrysler, alone among auto manufacturers, be immune to the oppressive CAFE regulations in the U.S.? I've become a student of the Honda VCM and it's six year "odyssey" to reliability. Honda has bet the farm on this technology, stonewalling and offending many customers suffering design issues since 2008, while whipping their engineering department for solutions. Why? Just look at minivans. Honda's V6 enjoys a 12% highway mileage advantage over Toyota (28 vs. 25). That's huge, not only in meeting CAFE but in the high stakes marketing battle for the consumer's almighty (and receding) spending. Both engines run 0W-20 by the way. Honda is gradually taking this technology to Acura now, with "VCM II" in the RDX. The message? Automakers have to take expensive risks to achieve the current CAFE schedule.

The Japanese have led the world in development of engines that can run ever lighter oils. The others have noticed and cannot afford to ignore this important component in improving overall fleet mileage averages. To me, the real question is, 'Does this development benefit consumers?' Is there a reliability price to pay for this incremental gain in mpg forced upon the market by our own government? I do believe that long-lived engines can be designed around lighter oils. What scares me is all the back-specing going on.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts Indy. My questions are, why the wait to 2013, and why didn't they back spec 2011 and 2012 then?

And immediately the conversation turns into WOE IS CAFE...

Chrysler doesn't seem to back-spec anything easily. Its just Chrysler. Even PT Cruisers ended the line with 5W-20 in 2010 in the non turbo'ed cars...and the entire 15 year old fleet of cars before it running the same engine still have 5W-30 recommendations (the engine in the PT dates back to the mid 90's for instance with few mechanical changes).

They have no reason to say 5W-20 is fine, so they don't, why break what isn't broken, but because they obviously now are comfortable using 5W-20 they recommend it.

The only serious considerations are 1) did they add an oil cooler or enlarge the oil pan? and 2) they probably tested 5W-20 was fine and in 2013 they finally decided to suggest it, meaning they could back-spec engines but don't feel the need to rock the boat.

Unless 5W-30 is damaging engines and 5W-20 fixes it...I honestly have no idea why any auto manufacturer would want to back spec oil. It sounds like a powder keg for having consumers afraid that their dealers ruining their motor by filling it with a "back spec" oil they've never been accustomed to.

Same reason no automaker I know of has arbitrarily back spec's long life coolant for old cars. Sure you can use it, but why do they wanna be liable for suggesting it if it goes wrong?

Last edited:
ASFAIK, the sump size is the same and no additional oil cooler was added. The only change I'm aware of was a re-design the left cylinder head to hopefully eliminate the issues with the head going bad. But they could have done some additional tweaking that isn't known to the public just yet.

Here's my thinking, when they initially rolled the new engine design off the line to the pubilc they spec'd it for 30 grade oil because it works. Maybe they were afraid to spec a 20 grade oil until they were [censored] sure they tested it, and it worked. The engine is now on its third year [I think], and they now believe a 20 grade oil is OK. I bet if/when they implement DI to this engine they start spec'ing 5W30 again. JMO

I hope this doesn't end up a CAFE bashing thread either.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Interesting thoughts Indy. My questions are, why the wait to 2013, and why didn't they back spec 2011 and 2012 then?

I guess we'll need a Mopar engineer to tell us the real story. Until very recently, I owned and operated three older Mopar V6s, and still have the two below. The other one was the 3.3 minivan motor. All three spec'd 10W-30 and all three were/are very reliable engine-wise. I am especially fond of the SOHC 3.5 in the two vehicles below which deliver an impressive balance of power and economy with perfect reliability, minimal maintenance and nary a drip. I'm sure the 3.6 will live on in this tradition. Mopar has always made good engines in my experience.

I would think every BiTOGer would believe that there are significant differences in flow characteristics between 10W-30 and xW-20. If that's true, then it's not much of a leap to think that oil pumps, passageways and filters can be optimized for these very different fluids. That's why I said what I said about back-specing in my first post. I think people that believe they can just throw any weight oil in an engine are looking for trouble. I work for a manufacturer in another industry so I have a high regard for manufacturer's recommendations. Instead of being surprised, I would be wary of back-specing oil viscosity.

What's wrong with bashing CAFE? It's a worthy target.

Last edited:
They probably don't feel the need to backspec to earlier engines because it wouldn't improve their CAFE figures. As I understand it, CAFE only applies to the then-current model year, so having a customer use 5W-20 in a two year old van won't benefit Chrysler any.

It will be interesting, though, to see if the EPA ratings improve with the move to 5W-20. The rule is that if the engines are run on a certain grade of oil during the fuel economy testing, then the manufacturer has to do everything in its power to ensure that customers are using that same grade of oil in the field. So they can't run the engine on 10 grade oil to get a good fuel economy number and then recommend a 30 grade oil in the owner's manual.

I'm actually surprised the engine was speced for 5w30 to begin with. I realize they have been more resistant to going to a 5w20 but they have had engines over the years that spec'd it. Like my 2005 3.8l GC.

Don't know how it can't be a thick vs thin discussion. If its not CAFE, then what does a thinner operating weight do that a thicker weight can't?

OEMs that have moved to 5w20 or back-spec'd it for their engines have done so only because their engines support its use. Ford has done extensive studies (field and lab) on low viscosity lubricants on their engines since the early 90s. Their engines incorporate modern technologies and designs that are optimal for low viscosity lubricants. To run low viscosity lubricants, Ford and Honda have reinforced bearing caps, rigid crankcases, low-tension piston rings, and aluminum alloy rod/main bearings along with bearing shape/size, clearances have been reduced or effectively reduced. And most importantly, these OEMs have low tolerances in their engine building. Engines designed/built for the 5w-20 recommendation are better built engines, therefore more durable.

The recently updated 3.6L pentastar received beefed-up bearing caps. Seems Chrysler has done some updating to take advantage of lower viscosity oil in this engine. GM/Chrysler are just slower to innovate. Ford has the largest R & D budget of any company/industry in the world. Ford is usually #1 or #2 with an $8 billion budget, so they are usually first to market with innovation.

And finally, I believe some folks don't realize that thicker is not better when talking about motor oil. Oils that are too thick or out of spec for an engine design/OEM recommendation can and do increase the wear rate, particularly the piston ring pack. From all the SAE papers on this subject, an HTHS of 2.6 cP to 2.8 cP is the ideal range for maximum fuel economy and engine durability. Nothing is ever compromised and there are added benefits to low viscosity lubricants.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
OEMs that have moved to 5w20 or back-spec'd it for their engines have done so only because their engines support its use. Ford has done extensive studies (field and lab) on low viscosity lubricants on their engines since the early 90s. Their engines incorporate modern technologies and designs that are optimal for low viscosity lubricants. To run low viscosity lubricants, Ford and Honda have reinforced bearing caps, rigid crankcases, low-tension piston rings, and aluminum alloy rod/main bearings along with bearing shape/size, clearances have been reduced or effectively reduced. And most importantly, these OEMs have low tolerances in their engine building. Engines designed/built for the 5w-20 recommendation are better built engines, therefore more durable.

The recently updated 3.6L pentastar received beefed-up bearing caps. Seems Chrysler has done some updating to take advantage of lower viscosity oil in this engine. GM/Chrysler are just slower to innovate. Ford has the largest R & D budget of any company/industry in the world. Ford is usually #1 or #2 with an $8 billion budget, so they are usually first to market with innovation.

And finally, I believe some folks don't realize that thicker is not better when talking about motor oil. Oils that are too thick or out of spec for an engine design/OEM recommendation can and do increase the wear rate, particularly the piston ring pack. From all the SAE papers on this subject, an HTHS of 2.6 cP to 2.8 cP is the ideal range for maximum fuel economy and engine durability. Nothing is ever compromised and there are added benefits to low viscosity lubricants.

Excellent answer!!

Quote:
Engines designed/built for the 5w-20 recommendation are better built engines, therefore more durable.

Come on now. That's a 100% falsehood.
Are you saying the engines running around the last 20yrs and longer with a million plus miles on them running on 10w30 are not durable.
Quote:
Ford has done extensive studies (field and lab) on low viscosity lubricants on their engines since the early 90s. Their engines incorporate modern technologies and designs that are optimal for low viscosity lubricants

Then why do they still spec 5w30 and even 5w50 in some of their most modern engines.

Quote:
an HTHS of 2.6 cP to 2.8 cP is the ideal range for maximum fuel economy and engine durability

Only under certain conditions. the most common oils sold in Germany have a HTHS os 3.5 or higher yet they have no problems with durability. They have had issues in their operating conditions with engines running lighter oils.

Engines built for 5-20 are modern, not old. They ARE built better than old designs , with old technologies and manufacturing.

5-50 is spec'd for a VERY few engines - Very high performance forced induction, I believe. That is very different from 99.999999% of cars.

German cars have always spec'd thick oils -whether they need it or not. Widening the bearings is an option they avoid, for some reason..

I disagree in certain cases.

For example, 5.7 Hemi is a 5w-20 motor. 6.1 hemi is a 0w-40 motor with a TSB for 50w as well!

Nearly the same motor in every respect. Newer 6.4 are even equipped with MDS, etc., and STILL spec 40w.

I believe if you carefully analyze clearances you'll see they haven't really substantively changed in the last decade, just the oils have.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I disagree in certain cases.

For example, 5.7 Hemi is a 5w-20 motor. 6.1 hemi is a 0w-40 motor with a TSB for 50w as well!

Nearly the same motor in every respect. Newer 6.4 are even equipped with MDS, etc., and STILL spec 40w.

I believe if you carefully analyze clearances you'll see they haven't really substantively changed in the last decade, just the oils have.

Is that to deal with the "tick"?

I agree with both mechtech2 and SteveSRT8. I will tell you why. For the majority of the conditions the majority of the owners will operate their engines in the U.S. a 20 grade is more than sufficient and in some conditions optimal. In others such the case of the SRT vehicles where the vehicle is manufactured and designed to be driven hard and spirited on the track where the engine is in constant near redline line for performance and the driver never really lays off the gas pedal to allow the oil temperature to drop a 40-50 grade would be advisable.

So what I am trying to say not every switch to a lighter recommendation is solely CAFE motivated. I can name a few instances where a Chrysler Pentastar 3.6 would benefit with a 20 grade over a 30 grade. But there are some times where the 3.6 will be used a 40 grade would be more beneficial than a 20 grade and the same can be said about the SRT vehicles. Chrysler I am certain has done their homework on the matter and if I owned a product of theirs I would not sorry about the oil grade recommendation.

Quote:
Are you saying the engines running around the last 20yrs and longer with a million plus miles on them running on 10w30 are not durable.

No. What I said was that engines designed and built for low viscosity lubricants have reinforced features and better technology that do extend the life of an engine. For instance, unlike the trimetal bearings of the past, low friction engines use AlPbSi bearings. These are a "harder" material that minimizes "flexing" and distribute bearing load/peak oil film pressure much more evenly. The alloy is also much more resistant to bearing seizure. The durability of this type of alloy is regarded by Mahle, Clevite, and others in the bearing industry to be long-lasting and capable of achieving 300k with minimal wear. Low friction engines also employ low-tension piston rings that minimize friction compared to older designs. Low viscosity lubricants work well with low-tension rings to bias the lubrication regime more toward hydrodynamic verses mixed/boundary. Film thickness is the primary factor for wear at the piston ring pack. Low viscosity lubricants provide a greater film thickness vs higher viscosity lubricants. As a consequence of the higher flow characteristics of lower viscosity lubricants there is lower cold-startup & operating wear because of lower ring tension.

Engines designed and built for lower viscosity oils are more durable than yesterday's engines because they are just better made, tighter manufacturing tolerances, better metallurgy, better bearings, etc. Is this technology and new hardware applicable to engines spec'd with higher viscosity oils? Yes. Will running a heavier weight oil in an engine designed for a 20wt lead to lower wear? No. Could it increase wear? Yes. Why? Because OEMs design their engines for oil flow characteristics for an operating range of 80C to 100C. This is where it is expected an engine will operate for the majority of its life. It is also the temperature range where lubricants provide their best protection and efficiency. So now you have the steady-state wear rate that is dependent mainly on film thickness (steady state is mainly hydrodynamic). When we talk about wear and engine durability, the primary component suject to the most wear and arguably the limiting factor for durability is the piston ring pack. Engineers design these for a flow rate to the ring lands to attain a target film thickness based on engine rpm (piston velocity/shear) and steady-state operating temperature. If piston/cylinder lubrication is "flooded" then there is increasee oil consumption. If it is "starved", then mix/boundary condition (increased wear rate). All oil channels are metered for an expected volume. Going too high a viscosity of oil in an engine designed for 20 wt will shorten engine life. How much more wear, I don't know. One thing is absolutely certain and well known by industry experts, nothing increases the wear rate of an engine (under normal operating conditions) than operating above 2500 rpm.

Every SAE published industry study on the subject of engine wear rates involve studying the effect of load and engine rpm on wear rate. In every instance, rpm below 2000 and full load (WOT) and oil sump temperatures as high as 130C did not change the wear rate. Above 2500 rpm for any viscosity oil, at ideal operating sump temperature, always increased the wear rate. It is increased anywhere from 2x up to 10x depending on rpm. This is because of increased shear rate. Main and rod bearings are far more tolerant than piston rings. Piston velocity, piston/cylinder temperature, and combustion chamber pressures increase dramatically when essentially racing an engine. Fortunately, everyday engines don't live at high rpms. Every engine has a finite life.

Quote:
Then why do they still spec 5w30 and even 5w50 in some of their most modern engines.

Ford has incorporated engine hardware technologies that are optimal for low viscosity lubricants. An OEM specs a viscosity on the design expectations (operating conditions) of their engines. Everyday passenger engines are capable of operating an HTHS as low as 2.2 cP below 120C (248F)at full load (6000rpm/WOT) without any increase in wear rate for all engine components. HTHS 2.6 cP becomes the lower limit when oil sump temperature reaches 130C (266F) and rpm is above 3000. Engines spec'd other than 5w-20 by Ford are expected to operate beyond the operating margin of safety the OEM feels comfortable with. 5w-30 & 5w-50 are spec'd where there is a concern for fuel dilution (EcoBoost) or power output/high rpm is expected (Supercharging, Mustang/SHO).

Quote:
Only under certain conditions. the most common oils sold in Germany have a HTHS os 3.5 or higher yet they have no problems with durability. They have had issues in their operating conditions with engines running lighter oils.

Yes, lubricants are optimal under certain conditions. But every study I have read show an increase in main bearing wear increasing HTHS beyond 2.8 cP. I can not provide these studies because of copyrights, but look at figures 2a and 2b of the following link,

Extending SAE J300 to Viscosity Grades below SAE 20

I have these papers, and these graphs were generated at 2500 rpm, 130C, full load in a 1984 GM 3.8L. Main bearing wear increases above and below HTHS 2.2 cP. I have seen in other papers where some engines designed for low viscosity lubricants can go as low as 1.8 cP with no bearing distress/wear. I agree the increase in wear above 2.2 cP is insignificant relative to going below it, but this was in an engine designed more than 30 years ago tested under not normal conditions.

There are reasons that European OEMs have traditionally preferred HTHS 3.5 cP, mainly out of design of their engines. This is changing and there is a move by OEMs in Europe to move in the same direction as the USA toward lower viscosity lubricants. Even motorcycles will be moving toward lower viscosity lubricants.

My previous work at SWRI (where OEM/lubricant industry testing and certificaton happens) and my current research position has provided access to vast industry databases of research, including the SAE database.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My sons 2011 Wrangler calls for 5-20, or at least that's what the oil cap says.

The '11 Wranglers still had the old 3.8L.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Quote:

No. What I said was that engines designed and built for low viscosity lubricants have reinforced features and better technology that do extend the life of an engine. For instance, unlike the trimetal bearings of the past, low friction engines use AlPbSi bearings. These are a "harder" material that minimizes "flexing" and distribute bearing load/peak oil film pressure much more evenly. The alloy is also much more resistant to bearing seizure. The durability of this type of alloy is regarded by Mahle, Clevite, and others in the bearing industry to be long-lasting and capable of achieving 300k with minimal wear. Low friction engines also employ low-tension piston rings that minimize friction compared to older designs. Low viscosity lubricants work well with low-tension rings to bias the lubrication regime more toward hydrodynamic verses mixed/boundary. Film thickness is the primary factor for wear at the piston ring pack. Low viscosity lubricants provide a greater film thickness vs higher viscosity lubricants. As a consequence of the higher flow characteristics of lower viscosity lubricants there is lower cold-startup & operating wear because of lower ring tension.

Engines designed and built for lower viscosity oils are more durable than yesterday's engines because they are just better made, tighter manufacturing tolerances, better metallurgy, better bearings, etc. Is this technology and new hardware applicable to engines spec'd with higher viscosity oils? Yes. Will running a heavier weight oil in an engine designed for a 20wt lead to lower wear? No. Could it increase wear? Yes. Why? Because OEMs design their engines for oil flow characteristics for an operating range of 80C to 100C. This is where it is expected an engine will operate for the majority of its life. It is also the temperature range where lubricants provide their best protection and efficiency. So now you have the steady-state wear rate that is dependent mainly on film thickness (steady state is mainly hydrodynamic). When we talk about wear and engine durability, the primary component suject to the most wear and arguably the limiting factor for durability is the piston ring pack. Engineers design these for a flow rate to the ring lands to attain a target film thickness based on engine rpm (piston velocity/shear) and steady-state operating temperature. If piston/cylinder lubrication is "flooded" then there is increasee oil consumption. If it is "starved", then mix/boundary condition (increased wear rate). All oil channels are metered for an expected volume. Going too high a viscosity of oil in an engine designed for 20 wt will shorten engine life. How much more wear, I don't know. One thing is absolutely certain and well known by industry experts, nothing increases the wear rate of an engine (under normal operating conditions) than operating above 2500 rpm.

Every SAE published industry study on the subject of engine wear rates involve studying the effect of load and engine rpm on wear rate. In every instance, rpm below 2000 and full load (WOT) and oil sump temperatures as high as 130C did not change the wear rate. Above 2500 rpm for any viscosity oil, at ideal operating sump temperature, always increased the wear rate. It is increased anywhere from 2x up to 10x depending on rpm. This is because of increased shear rate. Main and rod bearings are far more tolerant than piston rings. Piston velocity, piston/cylinder temperature, and combustion chamber pressures increase dramatically when essentially racing an engine. Fortunately, everyday engines don't live at high rpms. Every engine has a finite life.

Quote:

Ford has incorporated engine hardware technologies that are optimal for low viscosity lubricants. An OEM specs a viscosity on the design expectations (operating conditions) of their engines. Everyday passenger engines are capable of operating an HTHS as low as 2.2 cP below 120C (248F)at full load (6000rpm/WOT) without any increase in wear rate for all engine components. HTHS 2.6 cP becomes the lower limit when oil sump temperature reaches 130C (266F) and rpm is above 3000. Engines spec'd other than 5w-20 by Ford are expected to operate beyond the operating margin of safety the OEM feels comfortable with. 5w-30 & 5w-50 are spec'd where there is a concern for fuel dilution (EcoBoost) or power output/high rpm is expected (Supercharging, Mustang/SHO).

Quote:

Yes, lubricants are optimal under certain conditions. But every study I have read show an increase in main bearing wear increasing HTHS beyond 2.8 cP. I can not provide these studies because of copyrights, but look at figures 2a and 2b of the following link,

Extending SAE J300 to Viscosity Grades below SAE 20

I have these papers, and these graphs were generated at 2500 rpm, 130C, full load in a 1984 GM 3.8L. Main bearing wear increases above and below HTHS 2.2 cP. I have seen in other papers where some engines designed for low viscosity lubricants can go as low as 1.8 cP with no bearing distress/wear. I agree the increase in wear above 2.2 cP is insignificant relative to going below it, but this was in an engine designed more than 30 years ago tested under not normal conditions.

There are reasons that European OEMs have traditionally preferred HTHS 3.5 cP, mainly out of design of their engines. This is changing and there is a move by OEMs in Europe to move in the same direction as the USA toward lower viscosity lubricants. Even motorcycles will be moving toward lower viscosity lubricants.

My previous work at SWRI (where OEM/lubricant industry testing and certificaton happens) and my current research position has provided access to vast industry databases of research, including the SAE database.

Very well said.

I would add, that a main reason the European OEMs tend to spec' HTHSV 3.5cP oils is to offset the higher oil consumption associated with the higher rpms associated with high speed driving. This issue is exacerbated by the long OCIs that tend to be recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back