2001 jeep wrangler 4.0, Mobil 1 0w-40, 5200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first ever UOA!

The oil was in for 7 months (january-july) and saw alot of short trips with at least one long drive weekly

uoaofjeep.png

Im about 30 minutes from going outside to crack open the airbox to see if thats the cause for the higher Silicon
Im happy to see no Coolant as I have always been paranoid owning a 4.0 with a 0331 head thats known to crack.

Im now running QS DEFY, gonna go 4k miles and see

Yeah stay away from m1, your paying for the name and all the racing they sponsor when really its just a mediocre oil.

Wow thanks for posting. I've really been looking forward to this UOA. I see now that the 4.0 hates all Mobil 1, we had thought maybe the 0w40 might be different but clearly not.

The Defy should trend the wear numbers way down though.

The UOA has all the signs of excessive dirt ingestion through the intake. I'm surprised anyone would attribute the results to the oil being a M1 oil.

I have a 2001 4.0 engine and run PU or PP. Was there any engine work done where a gasket sealer might have been used?

You need to look any any way dirt could get in the engine. On my engine the hose in the front that maybe looks like a PCV setup had a crack in the hose where it attached to the elbow. Vacuum lines? PCV (its in the rear). Torn filter. Cracked air housing or air hose. Loose anything. Air filter not properly installed?

Originally Posted By: boosted
Yeah stay away from m1, your paying for the name and all the racing they sponsor when really its just a mediocre oil.

Same with Castrol, Vavloline, Pennzoil, Quaker State.... ect.. You see the big picture yet?

Last edited:
ok guys, i took apart the air filtration system and that was the cause of the problem. It looks that water (mud water) got passed the filter some how and there is dirty water marks going all down the intake right into the throttle body.

I said alot of my trips are short because alot of the time its slow off roading, I use my jeep off road and thats the source of this dirt. last time i checked my air filter (before changing to the 0w-40) my filter box was spotless after the filter. The contamination happened some time during the last 8-9 months. I used a paper Fram filter in the stock intake. I also live on and around alot of dirt roads that can often be very dusty.

guys don't let this be an example for Mobil 1 0w-40 in the 4.0 jeep engine.
let this be an example of why we get UOAs, to help further diagnose and maintain problems we have with our vehicles and to help monitor maintenance needs.

Hi,
MrRPM - Your comments are well justified. UOAs are a maintenance tool and when they are used (interpreted) correctly they can be very valuable indeed

Good stuff!! - and thanks for being so candid

Originally Posted By: MrRPM

Don't forget that M1 has always (that I remember) shown higher numbers than cheap dino.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: MrRPM

Don't forget that M1 has always (that I remember) shown higher numbers than cheap dino.
exactly!

Originally Posted By: volk06

Same with Castrol, Vavloline, Pennzoil, Quaker State.... ect.. You see the big picture yet?

No! Wow, and m1 always shows more wear so I'm not just calling it mediocre oil for my own health Guy, Mobil 1 is Prob. The leader in sponsoring out of all the oils you listed also, so again your paying for the name, official oil of NASCAR? Ask smoke what really goes into his racecar LOL, Sid you get my point yet? What people see advertised more is usually what they will run out and buy especially.with statements like that.

Originally Posted By: volk06

No! Wow, and m1 always shows more wear so I'm not just calling it mediocre oil for my own health Guy, Mobil 1 is Prob. The leader in sponsoring out of all the oils you listed also, so again your paying for the name, official oil of NASCAR? Ask smoke what really goes into his racecar LOL, Sid you get my point yet? What people see advertised more is usually what they will run out and buy especially.with statements like that.

A lot more people watch TV more than nascar,theres also other oil sponsored sports. I seen more valvoline and pennzoil on TV than anything else. Castrol - The official oil of the NFL... Valvoline - more mechanics use it in their car than any other oil brand! Pennzoil - Nothing keeps your engine closer to factory clean! We can argue semantics all day. The fact is all the big boys advertise more than we realize. Am I defending M1 no, do I run M1 no, just pointing out that in the big picture they all spend $$$$ on advertising. You see my point now? Lol
wink.gif

In this case the oil wasn't the main factor causing wear, it was the dirt getting into the engine that caused the high iron.

Last edited:
It might have been, but Mobil 1 has consistently shown sky high iron numbers in the Jeep 4.0, so you can't just write it off as dirt either. Maybe both at work.

UOAs are one of two things to a BITOGer:
1) a toy
2) a tool

Most BITOGers use them as toys. They have no idea how to properly interpret the data, and they hop-scotch between brands and grades so quickly that no sensible data can be discerned. They make false statements based upon a remedial understanding of the data, with little or no effort to understand the data stream in relation to macro and micro analysis.

But here, we see the UOA used as a tool. The results are not representative of the lube; they are an indication of a problem. And, that problem was apparently diagnosed and rectified.

Now, what remains, is to stick with that lube for another OCI or two, and do some UOAs and confirm the repair. One variable has been identified; the air leak was found. It was fixed; a variable hopefully was eliminated. So, to confirm the repair, another UOA needs to be done. It is possible that the wear metals will relieve. They may or may not go down to unviversal average, because a singular OCI may not completely flush out all the Si. It might actually take two or three before the results stabilize. But regardless, if he wants a good ROI from the data he paid for, then he needs to control the variables one at a time, and seek out what the results would tell him.

Or, conversely, he could just let mythology and rhetoric pervade ....

You make the call.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? This is borderline trolling. If you don't want to run M1 that's fine, but claiming it's a mediocre oil without any facts to back it up is just screaming, "Hey guys, let's fight!"

Originally Posted By: dparm

What are you talking about? This is borderline trolling. If you don't want to run M1 that's fine, but claiming it's a mediocre oil without any facts to back it up is just screaming, "Hey guys, let's fight!"

Agreed. I did 10k UOA on M1 vs Amsoil's best and both showed identical performance characteristics, even the ending TBN was within 0.1 of each other. Now is Amsoil also a mediocre oil? Your post is absurd and needs to be deleted from the WWW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back