Delo 400LE 5w40 - 5,055 mi. - 1998 Saab 900S N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first UOA since I bought the car a little over a year ago. Prior oil to the Delo was Rotella T-5 10w30 (can't remember if I had put some Auto-Rx in with the Rotella also.) No additive was added with the Delo. Driving pattern was probably around 75 highway/25 city.

Oil Filter: Napa Pro-Select
Air Filter: Fram

Saab_UOA_6-12-2012.jpg

The previous owner had the headgasket replaced a few years ago and the coolant level was fine a couple months ago when I did a coolant flush. (At least I don't remember it being a litle low, but I could have been?) I switched from green to Zerex G05 and the coolant level and unfortunately my coolant level has dropped a bit.
frown.gif
I'm wondering if the flush might have cleared some built up gunk that was keeping it from leaking. Guess I better look up the receipt from the headgasket repair and see if it might be covered by a mileage/month or year warranty or not.

G05
Sodium - Yes
Potassium - No

Rotella T5 and Delo 400 LE
No significant sodium.

All seems to match up with the results and some coolant in the oil.

Yeah, TBN is a bit low, but in dealing with coolant, you're not going to get an 'accurate' reading - oil is contaminated.

Maybe headbolts just need retorquing?

Got my Saab back today from getting pressure tested and checked. Only leak they found was one of the clamps on the lower radiator hose was loose. They told me to watch the coolant level for the next 1k miles to see if it drops.

What is the chances the coolant that showed in my UOA was residual in oil buildup from when the head gasket was done a few years ago? Maybe the Delo is cleaning up all that? If the coolant level drops again, I'm gonna replace the head bolts, as a bought a new set since I wasn't sure if the current ones were reused when they did the head gasket repair.

Last edited:
You're potassium is very low, some oils use sodium as a cleaning additive so it may not be coolant at all like Blackstone said could be residual from a previous run. Castrol and Valvoline, some store brands all use sodium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back