RP 75-140 is Black within 1200 miles- am I OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
06 mariner hybrid, 54k miles. Has PTU, power transfer unit (I think it is like a transfer case for AWD) Required 75w-140 gear oil

I changed the oil about 1200 miles ago. The old oil came out brown with what seemed like powdered sparkles (metal) in it. Not too bad though, I have seen worse from other diffs. I know RP is purple, but I went to check the fluid level and it is Deep Black. I mean like tar black. It flows fine, don't (can't) see any metal sparkles.

Did this oil just really clean my PTU or did something go wrong.

Background on this PTU:
Not uncommon to have failed PTU within 60k miles
The sump holds 12 ounces
Casing vent leak is common. (mine is not leaking though)

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
The Bottle states SAE 75-140 API Service GL-5 & GL-4.
It does however, read "not for use in Wet clutch systems". I don't know if I have a wet clutch system in the PTU or not.

Gonna get it changed today though.

RP consumer tech rep said he thought it was fine. "Perhaps it was contaminated, or just cleaned up varnish in the box" (paraphrased)

He told me to put a sample on a white dish to let it spread out thin and check for "tru" color, and abnormalities. I didn't notice anything abnormal other just Black as can be.

The tech said if I was having mechanical symptoms, to send them a sample and they would analyze it for free to determine what is going on. (only if I was having problems though, which I haven't noticed)

He verified that it met the spec for my application and said it should be fine.

Makes nervous though.

I honestly don't know if is specified for my vehicle. I just assumed.

The Owners manual states: "Motorcraft SAE 75-140 synthetic rear axle lubricant" That's it.

I changed the fluid with the remaining RP I had and bought a quart of Motorcraft synthetic axle lubricant from the Stealership. Stupid expensive at $23 even with a military discount.

The oil smells just like the stuff in the bottle.
I'm starting to think that my box was just super dirty. Since RP is already darker, it just looks worse than it is. RP must really be cleaning it out. It's not uncommon for these PTU's to fail after reading posts from greenhybrid.com.

Here are some pics of the oil that came out of the "fill" port by jacking up one side of the vehicle and letting it drain out.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbn..._NAME=snapfish/

Last edited:
DSCF2120.jpg

DSCF2122.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
It does however, read "not for use in Wet clutch systems". I don't know if I have a wet clutch system in the PTU or not.

Many electronic transfer cases use wet clutches, the Escape/Mariner hybrid uses an electro mechanical unit which sounds like the same thing or darn similar.
I have no idea if it uses wet clutches or not without researching it more but this information is enough to put the warning flag up.

Use the OEM whenever there is any doubt whatsoever.

Wow, that looks really dirty with bits of material throughout! Is it metal or perhaps clutch material? How much fuzz was on your magnet? I would keep flushing it at short intervals, maybe it will clear up eventually... One thought, I am assuming you have a vent on the case, is it in a location that it can ingest road crud or water?

Thanks, I will change at short intervals using OEM til it clears up a bit.

The magnet had maybe .5mm of "fuzz" and the magnet is maybe 7mm across.

I haven't found the other end of the vent yet. But I will ensure it is run away from road crud. I may even buy a fuel filter and put that inline in the vent hose near the end to help keep it cleaner.

The rear axle has the vent directly on the cover. I'm gonna add a hose and run it up higher with a fuel filter as well.

Thanks for the replies

I would suggest that you first track down if that is similar to a wet clutch system or not. If it is, then you need to swap fluids quickly. If not, then maybe it is just super dirty.

Good Idea, I will be changing the oil today.. I still intend to investigate if it is wet clutch or not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back