Mobil 1 5w-30 5k miles on F-150 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my engine. I am reposting this UOA from another site

blackstonereport1.jpg

There's the fuel dilution! lowered the flashpoint to 290 F. The way the oil viscosity looks, i'd be tempted to run a 40w hdeo. Or the m1 hm 5w 30.

Terrible UOA with regards to fuel dilution, unless Black_Stone has changed it's test standard regarding that?

Otherwise, can't tell any negative consequences from this 1st OCI after the Factory Fill.

Unfortunately, but hey at least it's still a 20 grade, right?
27.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would recommend Ford look at this engine. This is worst ecoboost UOA I have ever read this looks like a GM 3.6.

I have looked and looked, I cannot find UOA's for GM 3.6 DI on this site. Any links?

This is only the second UOA on a young engine. The wear metals are coming down nicely.

The obvious issue is fuel dilution. Although I'd point out that the fuel was less (with FP higher) in the first UOA, and yet the Vis was worse. Go figure that one out ...
21.gif

I'd stick to 5k miles for now. Keep them consistent and see what happens with the fuel. As long as the wear is trending down, I'd say stick with the plan. Let the wear metals come down and settle out, then you can experiment with other factors.

Shame to see such an expensive oil get hammered with so much fuel. IIRC the OEM OCI is 7.5k miles, but I'd hesitate to run that long. Perhaps he could slowly build his way up there, but I'd be cautious along the way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
10k normal service, 5k for severe duty IIRC from my OM

I'd like to know more details requarding the service this oil was used under, and whether it qualifies for "Severe Duty" as outlined in the owners manual. If it does, well, I'd say its good; but if he is using it normally then Ford needs to make some adjustments.

Things are trending down in a young engine.

The oil got hammered with fuel. Maybe an oil with higher hths ~3.5+. GC and Rotella come to mind.

Or as some might suggest, why not a mix of M1 0w40 and 0w20
grin.gif

Any way of finding out sampling technique? Was the engine hot or cold? Lots of idling? Since nothing looks that out of line other than fuel dilution, could this be the result of a sampling technique rather than something inherent to the engine?

Metals trending down nicely. Stick with it. Maybe once it is dully broken in the fuel will drop.

Any energy conserving oil will lose viscosity when there is fuel dilution due to the viscosity modifiers.

Since this is a re-post from another site, this is just data to keep in mind. I wish the owner of the truck well.

I am the owner...Beercan asked if he could post my report and I agreed so long as he gave me the link so I could follow. I found it very worth my while to post in this forum as well..what a cool place!

To try and answer all the questions...

It was taken after a 20 mile trip from another town back home and right up onto the ramps and drain plug was pulled. NO idling, etc. as the report was questioning.

I then took the sample hot out of the engine and in "mid-stream" as Blackstone requests for their sampling.

I do very little towing and if I do tow it is a 12' Aluma Utility trailer with a run-of-the-mill Simplicity riding lawnmower...not exactly heavy (and I even drop the gate into the trailer to save on the wind drag). In all it was maybe 200 miles of the 5000 mile sample.

My Ford Service Manager emailed me just now with this answer: "I checked with Ford Tech. support.They told me there is no known publication of how much fuel should be in the oil.If there are no driveability issues assume the vehicle is operating normally and no repairs are needed."

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Interesting post INDYMAC.

Aside from design itself, what seems to be causing intake valve deposit issues? Is it the formulation of today's fuels in use in such an app as the OP?

Just asking, not trying to open the floodgates. Keeping it relative to the OP. Thanks.

If fuel dilution stays high and wear metals keep trending down, then what?
crazy.gif

Last edited:
The new ecoboost engines self clean the valves by toying with intake valve timing at predetermined intravals to 'burn off' anything that may have gathered on it...

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The new ecoboost engines self clean the valves by toying with intake valve timing at predetermined intravals to 'burn off' anything that may have gathered on it...

This is interesting. I did not know this. Where'd did you come across this info at?

The 5w-30 is a 20wt with all the fuel, does the oil still provide good protection being a 20wt with fuel? I wonder if the fuel would help prevent sludge or varnish lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

I have never read/heard this before either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back