Pennzoil Ultra vs Pennzoil Ultra Euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGW

My brother just bought an 06 Mercedes R350 AMG w/46k miles on it. Should regular PU be used, or should the euro version be used? Is it true this vehicle is assembled in the US? Does that have any impact on what oil should be used? Would Mobil 1 be better suited for this engine?

A main difference between the two oils is that the PU Euro 5W-30 is heavier at operating temp's with it's HTHSV of 3.5cP while the lighter regular PU 5W-30's has a HTHSV of 3.1cP.

The Mercedes oil spec' specifies an oil with a HTHSV of at least 3.5cP. Can your brother use the lighter oil? If he is outside of the warranty period I'd say yes, just make sure he maintains the minimum oil pressure as specified by AMG when the oil is as hot as it ever gets. Driven normally that shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
The 5W-40 would work too... Among MANY other oils.

The OP is correct to limit him selection to 30wt oils.

Why is that?

Originally Posted By: JGW
My brother just bought an 06 Mercedes R350 AMG w/46k miles on it. Should regular PU be used, or should the euro version be used?

I'm fairly sure the vehicle calls for an oil that meets MB 229.5 spec. If that's the case, then regular PU does not meet it. Only the PU Euro does.

Quote:

Is it true this vehicle is assembled in the US? Does that have any impact on what oil should be used? Would Mobil 1 be better suited for this engine?

Yes, it's assembled in Alabama. It does not have any impact on the oil that should be used. M1 0w-40 will be just as good in this application as any other oil meeting MB 229.5 spec.

Under no circumstances will he need to use an oil with a HTHSV higher than 3.5cP.

How do you know that?

Are you then saying that M1 0w-40 with HTHS of 3.8 cP is a wrong oil to use in this application?

Just want to add that Mobil 1 is the factory fill for many Mercedes models and the recommended in service fill is Mobil 1. There is an exclusive product made for your car called Mobil 1 5W-40 Formula M. Specifically engineered for Mercedes and available at the dealer or at a local Mobil distributor.

And as Quattro Pete has eluded to, there are many oils that may exceed an HTHS of 3.5 that are approved for your car and will not negatively effect your engines performance.

Last edited:
Just want to add that Mobil 1 is the factory fill for many Mercedes models and the recommended in service fill is Mobil 1. There is an exclusive product made for your car called Mobil 1 5W-40 Formula M. Specifically engineered for Mercedes and available at the dealer or at a local Mobil distributor.

Good point. I forgot about this one.

With that said, I am still trying to figure out what makes this oil better than their 0w-40 for gasoline engine applications. This Formula M 5w-40 is kind of in the middle between M1 0w-40 and Formula M ESP 5w-40 when it comes to add-pack levels and TBN. I would expect the high TBN M1 0w-40 (11.8) to handle longer drain intervals better than Formula M (non-ESP) 5w-40 (TBN of 8). The only reason to consider Formula M would be if you had some sensitive emissions equipment, but if you did, then Formula M ESP would be even better.

Alas, TBN does not always tell the whole story...

... there are many oils that may exceed an HTHS of 3.5 that are approved for your car and will not negatively effect your engines performance.

If an oil is thicker than necessary it will negatively an engines performance.
The best advice, especially for a NA driven car, is to use the lightest oil that's specified for your engine.

... there are many oils that may exceed an HTHS of 3.5 that are approved for your car and will not negatively effect your engines performance.

If an oil is thicker than necessary it will negatively an engines performance.
The best advice, especially for a NA driven car, is to use the lightest oil that's specified for your engine.

Not using too thick (or thin) of an oil is a good thing but like many things, taking it too far and not giving other important factors due consideration is not good. The engine performance will be just fine with an approved oil with a HTHS well over 3.5 cP. Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-30 is a low-SAPs oil which limits its useful oil life when U.S. ethanol-laden fuel is used.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JGW
My brother just bought an 06 Mercedes R350 AMG w/46k miles on it. Should regular PU be used, or should the euro version be used?

I'm fairly sure the vehicle calls for an oil that meets MB 229.5 spec. If that's the case, then regular PU does not meet it. Only the PU Euro does.

Quote:

Is it true this vehicle is assembled in the US? Does that have any impact on what oil should be used? Would Mobil 1 be better suited for this engine?

Yes, it's assembled in Alabama. It does not have any impact on the oil that should be used. M1 0w-40 will be just as good in this application as any other oil meeting MB 229.5 spec.

+ 1 I have to agree with Quattro Pete on this

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Under no circumstances will he need to use an oil with a HTHSV higher than 3.5cP.

How do you know that?

Are you then saying that M1 0w-40 with HTHS of 3.8 cP is a wrong oil to use in this application?

Not "wrong" just heavier than necessary.
We both know M1 0W-40 is fine, largely due to it's high 185 VI but the OP isn't asking about other oils just two 30wt oils and he got his answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back