CATERHAM Blend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, $5.75/liter every day....$27.69 for the jug. Since using the Petro-Canada I've taken a liking to the bottles though.

No gauges.....yet.

I think the 60/40 is a good place to start. If I like it maybe I'll try the 70/40 next winter.

I presume that's your local Toyota dealer; is it called Kitchener Toyota?
I wonder what additional discount they'd give on a 12L case not that I need anymore for my stash?
Was it the SM version of the 0W-20 that you got?

BTW the 70/40 should give you a 10% advantage next winter!

Heffner Toyota on King Street East.

Is is the SN and it didn't seem like there was much room for any more of a discount on it. He said we could work something out on a case but it was only 5 cents less per liter at trade price.

When you say 10% are you talking KV at a certain temp?

lol.gif
WOW! Really have to start proof reading better!

Ya 70/30.

Is that what you're referring to though when you talk about lighter at start up or a certain temp, is KV? Quite a difference according to the calculator betwer 70/30 and the PC 0w30 at -15 if that is reliable....

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: cp3
Well, with the M1 sale a couple weeks ago I bit the bullet and picked up some 0w40. Dropped in at the Toyota dealer this week and got a corresponding 5 liters of 0w20. Was going to start with a simple mix at 50/50 but just realized that I got SM not SN, which is a bit thinner. So I might try closer to 60/40 Toyota/M1 which should give me about a 10.5 100c with a 204 VI. This is compared to the PC 0w30 in the G6 now at 11.2 & 177.

cp3 and nice photo!

I presume the reference to the SM oil being lighter was to the Cdn version of the M1 0W-40 which has a HTHSV of 3.6cP and 187 VI vs the 3.8cP and 185 VI SN USA version?

In comparing the resulting viscosities of any mix it's best to look at the more relevant HTHSVs. The 50/50 mix should produce a 0W-30 with a HTHSV of about 3.1cP. A 60/40 mix in favour of the Toyota oil a HTHSV closer to 3.0cP on par with M1 AFE 0W-30 but with a very much higher VI.

So, should I buy some M1 AFE 0w-30 straight up OR try the blend the OP laid out nicely?
smile.gif

All these oil are excellent Don't mix oil. 1st, you don't know the viscosity for the blend after. 2nd Different additives may not go together well. Use oil weigh according to manual. So store let you to exchange to correct weight oil.

Hey Cp3 and the "Big Cat",

IMO....Why not just do a blended mix of 1/3 of the following. M1, AFE, 0w-30, 0w-20 and 1/3 of M1 0w-40?

Don't you think that this blend of all 3 oils by M1...might be a better blended mix for your project?

That blend would not get you anywhere near the a 200 VI as they are 166, 173 and 185(SN) respectively.

Toyota 0w20 is produced by XOM as well. Caterham has asked the question and been given the ok from them in regards to mixing these oils. This itself I guess is redundant as part of API certification is to be mixable.

Oh and there are viscosity blending calculators available.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
All these oil are excellent Don't mix oil. 1st, you don't know the viscosity for the blend after. 2nd Different additives may not go together well.

Your mistaken about that.
Since this tread is about Mobil made oils they are all blendable without any negative consiquences all with Mobil's blessing.

Using a viscosity calculator is how you predict the outcome of any blend. Red Line Oil, another company that encourages the blending of their oils recommends the use of calculators to pretty accurately determine the viscosity outcome of a blend.

All these oil are excellent Don't mix oil. 1st, you don't know the viscosity for the blend after. 2nd Different additives may not go together well.

Since this tread is about Mobil made oils they are all blendable without any negative consiquences all with Mobil's blessing.

Using a viscosity calculator is how you predict the outcome of any blend. Red Line Oil, another company that encourages the blending of their oils recommends the use of calculators to pretty accurately determine the viscosity outcome of a blend.

Unless your engine need special viscosity oil like 4W-22 or just want to use your left over, I don't see any other reason to blend oil. It is a scientific process not artistic guess.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
CATERHAM: I'm curious as to why you use the 5W30/0W40 blend in your Porsche? And also, what are the proportions?

It's an approximate 30/70 blend.

The 0W-40 is heavier than necesary for the way I drive my Porsche (no track use). I used some M1 5W-30 only because I had some on hand.
For my next oil change, which won't be for a while, I'll probabily use the Toyota 0W-20 but only half as much if I use the USA sourced SN M1 0W-40. If I use the lighter Cdn SM version of M1 0W-40 I may not bother to lighten it any further at all.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
CATERHAM: I'm curious as to why you use the 5W30/0W40 blend in your Porsche? And also, what are the proportions?

It's an approximate 30/70 blend.

The 0W-40 is heavier than necesary for the way I drive my Porsche (no track use). I used some M1 5W-30 only because I had some on hand.
For my next oil change, which won't be for a while, I'll probabily use the Toyota 0W-20 but only half as much if I use the USA sourced SN M1 0W-40. If I use the lighter Cdn SM version of M1 0W-40 I may not bother to lighten it any further at all.

In my climate, it probably makes sense to just run all 0W40. If nothing else, it lets me feel that I'm protecting the turbo in my Volvo, even if it's a false security. BTW, I wasn't offended by your response to my admittedly stupid question.

Unless your engine need special viscosity oil like 4W-22 or just want to use your left over, I don't see any other reason to blend oil. It is a scientific process not artistic guess.
There is no such think as a 4W-22 oil grade.

Using an oil viscosity calculator requires some basic understanding of motor oil, so at the very least it is an educational process.

pwned.

No offense newcomer.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
..............How do you know what brew you have concocted, it benefits, short comings or side effects ?

They don't know, unless they run it through the whole battery of tests that API requires. DIY Blending is for those folks who want a deeper hands on involvement with the oil hobby, and who believe the only thing that matters is optimized viscometrics. Optimized additive chemistry is deemed secondary. I'm surprised there are no threads about DIY gasoline blending.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I'm surprised there are no threads about DIY gasoline blending.
smile.gif

Hey, if I had easy access to the various unleaded racing fuels out there...
wink.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: virginoil
..............How do you know what brew you have concocted, it benefits, short comings or side effects ?

They don't know, unless they run it through the whole battery of tests that API requires. DIY Blending is for those folks who want a deeper hands on involvement with the oil hobby, and who believe the only thing that matters is optimized viscometrics. Optimized additive chemistry is deemed secondary.

It's not just about the the viscometrics but improving the AW and in some cases TBN levels.
Since in this case we're using Mobil made products it's not hard to get an unbiased opinion on the blend and they have no problem whatsoever with the mix.

As far as "optimized additive chemistry" there is really no such thing with 99% of the oils available. It's all a compromize and in most cases the DI packages used are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back