Mobil Super 5000 5W30 '09 Subie Legacy 2.5i 6103mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped this OCI a bit because I have been driving ~1.5 miles between home and school since the last oil change. The engine almost never gets warm so I changed a bit early.

I used Mobil Super 5000 5W30 SN again, and looks like things stayed very consistent. Good thing, because I think I bought over 100 quarts of the stuff from Autozone/O'Reilly for their $10 oil/filter deal. Returned the STP/Microgard filters for store credit and bought more oil.

Anyone see anything wrong with extending back out to 8k+ (maybe 10k) with a quart make up and maybe a filter change in the middle? My powertrain warranty is up now.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report. A little shearing is normal for dino 5w30's, nice FP, good TBN. Keep it up :p

Originally Posted By: bepperb
If you run out to 10,000 miles how long is your stash going to last? You gonna pass that down to your kids or what?

+1 Excellent!! LMAO

Originally Posted By: bepperb
If you run out to 10,000 miles how long is your stash going to last? You gonna pass that down to your kids or what?

Hahahaha if only. Gotta change the family cars too. That will be split among 6 cars, so I need to buy some more hahahaha.

Flashpoint of 430?

Looks like it was 430 back on 9/10 also. Which oil was that?

Looks great for 6k miles, even with some short drives. Mobil Super 5000 is clearly can do 6-7k miles OCI's for non-severe condition.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Curious....what filter did you use?

And....what were Blackstone's comments?

I am using the OEM blue Honeywell.

This is what Blackstone said: Thanks for the note about the short trips. That use can certainly be hard on engines, but
this 2.5L is handling it well. You dropped a few miles compared to your previous oil run, but wear stayed
consistent. That's what we like to see since it shows an engine in good health. You might as well go back up
to 8,000 or 9,000 miles since the engine doesn't seem to care. The viscosity was a little low 5W/30, but
that's nothing new and it's definitely not hurting anything. The TBN was 2.7 showing plenty of active additive
left. Nice report at 62,815 miles.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looks good to me. I would try 7,500 oil & filter change.

The previous UOA at 8k miles was the same Mobil Super 5000 and one filter.

Originally Posted By: aigochamaloh

It definitely sheared to almost a 20 grade. I think 7,500 is safely do-able with some top off oil (if needed) in the middle or towards to end somewhere.

Going further then that with oil designed and rated for 5k miles doesn't make sense to me. The previous report @ 8k had a quart of top off. If you can keep dumping a quart of makeup oil in there, then 8k or even 9 looks promising...

............ I have been driving ~1.5 miles between home and school since the last oil change. The engine almost never gets warm .......

This is considered severe service, if not very severe service. Buy whatever oil is on sale, and change it every 3-4 months. But how do you accumulate 6103 miles over 5 months if you only drive 3 miles a day?

Originally Posted By: Artem

It definitely sheared to almost a 20 grade. I think 7,500 is safely do-able with some top off oil (if needed) in the middle or towards to end somewhere.

Going further then that with oil designed and rated for 5k miles doesn't make sense to me. The previous report @ 8k had a quart of top off. If you can keep dumping a quart of makeup oil in there, then 8k or even 9 looks promising...

This engine seems to always shear the 30 grade down to a 20, no matter how long it's in there for.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
............ I have been driving ~1.5 miles between home and school since the last oil change. The engine almost never gets warm .......

This is considered severe service, if not very severe service. Buy whatever oil is on sale, and change it every 3-4 months. But how do you accumulate 6103 miles over 5 months if you only drive 3 miles a day?

I know it's considered severe. I drive home every weekend, putting at least some highway miles on it. But that short trip to school happens 2 or 3 times a day because of the extended lunch we get.

Dropped this OCI a bit because I have been driving ~1.5 miles between home and school since the last oil change. The engine almost never gets warm so I changed a bit early.

I used Mobil Super 5000 5W30 SN again, and looks like things stayed very consistent. Good thing, because I think I bought over 100 quarts of the stuff from Autozone/O'Reilly for their $10 oil/filter deal. Returned the STP/Microgard filters for store credit and bought more oil.

Anyone see anything wrong with extending back out to 8k+ (maybe 10k) with a quart make up and maybe a filter change in the middle? My powertrain warranty is up now.

2.jpg

Great report.

Vis shears; who cares? I don't. Did the shearing result in significant statistical wear changes? No. Why people freak out about a minor grade shift has always befuddled me. Sure, a huge drop or rise in vis would be of concern, but we see vis drop a grade in both PCMO and HDEO oils all the time, but that shift never manifests into wear problems. And after all, is the oil there to provide benefit to itself, or to the engine? The oil's job is to protect the engine from wear. If the wear is good, regardless of the vis, then all is well. If the vis continued to drop even more, it would become a problem at some point. But often, vis will drop, and then stabilize.

You could probably go 8k miles no problem. But TBN is getting a bit low. I see the TBN topic either relevant or irrelevant depending upon operation; for you, it's relevant because short trips will have moisture issues. TBN is not as big an issue if the trips boil out moisture. You're not there, so watch your TBN.

As for the limit of the OCI, you're not really using the UOA in its correct application. To know how long to use oil, you'll have to set condemnation limits; you are so close to universal averages that you're not nearly near the end yet. You could probably do a filter change, top off the oil from the filter loss, and easily surpass 10k miles. Most people would freak out about this, but it's true. Your UOA shows you're no where near any reasonable condemnation limits for wear metals, FP, etc. Only TBN might be an issue, and with a top-off, it will be extended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Good question. LOL...

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I have one quick question. Can I leave mobil super 5000 for 12 months?

Absolutely, positively YES. I have left dino in for well over a year and syns in for over two years, and never, ever, had the slightest problem with doing that many times during the last 20 years. You can search and find UOS'a that clearly back this up.

Of course, this is in stored vehicles or otherwise low mileage situations. A year's time won't bother the MS5000 at all, assuming the mileage stays within the advertised 5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back