Pep Boys Sold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the new owners will upgrade their stores. My store looks like Manny, Moe and Jack designed it!

Gores group reminds me of Cerebrus.

So what are they going to do, run the stores even more ghetto cheaply than before?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

So what are they going to do, run the stores even more ghetto cheaply than before?

You hit the nail on the head. One way or another, any changes should be rewarding - either an upgrade to something resembling an auto parts chain, or the entertainment from them trying to cheapen or deteriorate the focus even more.

I firmly believe that when a parts store starts to carry more Chotchkies, bling, and geegaws than parts, they are in trouble.

Pep Boys has been the Chotchkie king for awhile.

Pep boys ruled back in the 90s - early 2000 when all the ricers where in there buying up homemade intakes, [censored] can exhaust tips, and neon lights that they would stick EVERYWHERE!

Those days are pretty much long gone with the majority of the tuner scene now focused on producing "Clean" rides.

There's one in my area. It turned into a version of "Chinese Freight". Last time I was in there they had piles of inventory not even unpacked. The place looked like it was about to close for good. I'm glad Amazon is around.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
What the heck is a chotchkie? It sounds funny as heck and I am now going to use the word at least once per day.
(see also tchotchkie): trinket, gew-gaw, junk. Basically something that takes up space and provides little value.

chotchkie's was also the name given to the restaurant where Jennifer Aniston worked in the movie "Office Space". Now I see more of the implied humor to that...
smile.gif

I went into a Pep Boys down in the LA area last weekend and nearly died laughing when i saw they had the new bottles of GC for 9.19 a bottle. Even with working where I work, I was shocked by that.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
chotchkie's was also the name given to the restaurant where Jennifer Aniston worked in the movie "Office Space". Now I see more of the implied humor to that...
smile.gif

Yup, don't forget the required pieces of "flair"....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
What the heck is a chotchkie? It sounds funny as heck and I am now going to use the word at least once per day.
(see also tchotchkie): trinket, gew-gaw, junk. Basically something that takes up space and provides little value.

Yes, it is 'Swahili' for the above (actually Yiddish
smile.gif
)!

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Sometimes, I am even hesitant to wear either my red or blue caps into my local Pep Boyzz (for fear of being shot, even though I look NOTHING LIKE a 'homey G'
wink.gif
).
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There's one in my area. It turned into a version of "Chinese Freight". Last time I was in there they had piles of inventory not even unpacked.

Sounds a lot like the one by me.

Its a relatively new building but they uglied up the place a few years ago with this dismal black paint scheme inside, dropped most of the quality merchandise, jacked up the prices, and still mananged to run the old, but useful, RS-Strauss Auto out of business across the street.
frown.gif

They must make the big money on their auto repair business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back