Mobil 1 5W30 3,229 - 03 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA and I think it looks pretty good. My car puffs some smoke and I feel that it is most likely that the turbo is going bad, that is why they comment about it. It burns about a quart between changes but I guess everything else looks good.

Let me know what you guys think!
uoa1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
156k on the unit... I'm not surprised about the light puffs of smoke. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nice UOA, try BG 109 (at least 30 minutes incl. 10 at 1200rpm) if you don't like oil burning - it helped lots of boxers ;-)

Originally Posted By: buster
Looks fine. This is the SM version. Did you replace with the new stuff?

I don't know what SM version is. I replaced it with Rotella T6 of you are talking about what oil i used.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Do you let her idle before shutting it down?

Nope drove an hour or interstate then shut down as soon as I got home. Why do you ask?

where is the multiquote feature on this forum? anyway for who ask when it smokes I have been told it puffs a little when I get into the gas. (from my experience this is common when the turbo oil seals are leaking.)

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
Nice UOA, try BG 109 (at least 30 minutes incl. 10 at 1200rpm) if you don't like oil burning - it helped lots of boxers ;-)

Dont know what you are talking about either. lol could you please explain what BG 109 is.

I'm guessing bg109 is some kind of additive,

SM is API SM, it was just replaced by API SN and most oils are now API SN

Turbo engines you should usually let idle for a min or so before shutdown so that the oil is still circulating though the turbo(and cooling it) and not cooking.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'm guessing bg109 is some kind of additive,

SM is API SM, it was just replaced by API SN and most oils are now API SN

Turbo engines you should usually let idle for a min or so before shutdown so that the oil is still circulating though the turbo(and cooling it) and not cooking.

thanks for the clarification on the API SM.

I do let it idle for a short period before shutting it down. I am not coking my turbo trust me. It only takes maybe 30-45 seconds of idling if you aren't doing any hard driving. which i was not.

I would think that the M1 would be OK on the puffed 2-litre then go to T6 on the 2.3 knocker. You might be saying bye bye to some HP with that heavy T6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Finally! A Mobil1 UOA where iron is not elevated.
whistle.gif

AND stayed in grade in a subie turbo!

Of course, as with most subie turbo owner's, we're not going to see a trend with an Energy Conserving oil. It's like they start researching on the web, or get yelled at by Uncle Scotty, and immediately jump to RT6.
grin.gif

Atticus - with bad seals, you'll likely see smoke coming out of the hood scoop or out of the tailpipe within the first few minutes of driving. In my case, it never happened after the car was warmed up. And neither bad seals, or a blown turbo, showed any obvious signs in a uoa.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
.............AND stayed in grade in a subie turbo!..........-Dennis

Probably because of the extra clearance in his turbo bearings.
wink.gif

I don't think there are many better oils for a turbo than M1. M1 can handle extremely high temperatures very well.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't think there are many better oils for a turbo than M1. M1 can handle extremely high temperatures very well.

Notice my post today on high outside temps this summer.

Originally Posted By: Atticus
where is the multiquote feature on this forum? anyway for who ask when it smokes I have been told it puffs a little when I get into the gas. (from my experience this is common when the turbo oil seals are leaking.)

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow

Dont know what you are talking about either. lol could you please explain what BG 109 is.

Very good engine flush which helps a lot with e.g. dirty rings etc. I know its results from many Subarus also - just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back