Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 - 5402 Miles - 2011 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster, long time lurker. I figured I'd post this to get some thoughts/feedback.

Air Filter: OEM - Unchanged with 11,820 miles on it. Still looks good.
Oil Filter: Bosch Premium

Changed the oil from factory fill at 1,500 miles.
Also changed the oil at 6,500 miles. I have used the same oil and filter for each change.

85% Highway / 15% City

Last edited:
I'd use Rotella T6 5w-40 if I had a WRX and wanted to use synthetic.

Oh wait, I DO have a WRX...

Give Rotella T6 5w-40 a try. Ultra sheared down to a thick 20-weight oil. If you drive the car hard (as you should) a 40-weight oil is an extra bit of protection.

All have been SM.

As for T6, I'm inclined to agree. I've changed everything else I have to it.
grin.gif

Most API SN/SM oils will lose a bit of viscosity and shear a bit. I think you almost have to in order to meet the fuel economy test. Companies like Redline can get away without using any viscosity modifiers.

I would stick with Ultra. It's a very good oil and very comparable to Mobil 1 at handling deposits. Ultra has kind of faded over the past year or so....

Originally Posted By: weaselgnome
All have been SM.

As for T6, I'm inclined to agree. I've changed everything else I have to it.
grin.gif

01.gif

Looks good.
The oil is a little thin, and TAN does seem a little high, although TBN is strong.
This may not be the best oil for this application.
You might want to search this forum for UOAs of turbo Subies.
There may be a better oil for this application.
Rotella 5W-40, T6 or earlier, does seem to hold up well in turbo Subarus, and other oils have as well.
Still, not bad, especially if the Ultra can keep things clean.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The engine is still new.

Uh, ok. Awesome! Great! Super!

You have, however, lost me.

I just switched to PU in my Altima. I just am blown away by the how smooth she is running compared to almost every major syn I have tried. This sample looks like the PU when it first came out...very high boron. The newer samples tested seem to be much lower. The batch I used was badged MARCH 2010. I have since cleared all of the 10w30 dated back then at my WM.

I don't see how you can beat wear #s like that with an engine that new. Excellent oil/UOA!

TAN, TBN, waited until the second fill of a new oil to do a UOA. Someone has been doing some good quality lurking. Looks perfect, I can't wait to see some nice looking trends.

Welcome. It looks good! Why aren't you using an OEM oil filter? I thought the Subaru filters have a higher bypass rating then what you can buy at your local auto parts store?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Originally Posted By: Steve S
The engine is still new.

Uh, ok. Awesome! Great! Super!

You have, however, lost me.

I'm guessing that Steve said that because some engines take a long time to break in. My break-in wear metals didn't start coming down until 18k miles.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Welcome. It looks good! Why aren't you using an OEM oil filter? I thought the Subaru filters have a higher bypass rating then what you can buy at your local auto parts store?

Correct. But then there are folks that only run aftermarket filters with no issues. Not me.

To me the most amazing thing is Subaru of America says that you'll still be within warranty requirements running this another 2,000 miles. At least wear appears to be low for now. I would like to see some trending with an EC oil in a 2011 Subaru turbo running 7,500 mile OCI's. I can't find any guinea pigs though.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
TAN, TBN, waited until the second fill of a new oil to do a UOA. Someone has been doing some good quality lurking. Looks perfect, I can't wait to see some nice looking trends.

I read everything you guys write.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: finklejag

Subaru "Fram" personally doesn't suit me. The Tokyo Roki ones were great, but with the Honeywell switch, I'll stick with something else I can live with. I personally like the Bosch and I'll sacrifice my car with them. To each his own I guess. As for bypass rating... doesn't seem to be causing much harm based on my driving style.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I would like to see some trending with an EC oil in a 2011 Subaru turbo running 7,500 mile OCI's. I can't find any guinea pigs though.

Yeah... I'll run 6K as my upper limit with Ultra. I may try T6 for a 6K run, but I haven't decided yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back