Valvoline Nex Gen Recycled Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can make all the claims they want..Im kinda on the same boat as with G-OIL. I would really like to see some good UOA's before I would be completely confident to use it.

Last edited:
I do. Just bought a 5 liter jug of NextGen Max Life plus filter at Autozone for $20, and sent in my $10 rebate to Valvoline. That'll be a change of Max Life for $10, including a filter.

We use SAFTY KLEEN 5W30 at my work which is 100% recycled motor oil with no oil related problems at all, and only gripe I have is I can get MOBIL SUPER 5000 for 3.15 a qt, and NexGen is like $4.20 a qt, so not much of a value in my area. Didnt recall what the 5qt jug of nexgen was as wally world is usually out of it.

Originally Posted By: asamek
I do. Just bought a 5 liter jug of NextGen Max Life plus filter at Autozone for $20, and sent in my $10 rebate to Valvoline. That'll be a change of Max Life for $10, including a filter.
Me too-I just hope I get the rebate considering it was a "promotion"-I guess we'll see...

Re-recycled oil is THE SAME end product as crude oil (respective to the base grp. they want it to be). Has anyone here ever seen what crude looks like? Not to mention the chemicals and metals in an analysis of a good crude like BRENT? Recycled oil is "virgin" compared to that stuff. Stop the worrying. Also what is the price of putting our money into dictators and enemies pockets? Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
they claim its as good as new conventional oil. Would you trust it?

Yup, I do and I am now the owner of three 5qt jugs of it. In theory they could make a SynPower version of this, couldn't they?

IMO the recycled oil may be a better quality than virgin oil. I guarantee that the used oil in the drums at the auto parts stores and what not are of better quality than the crude oil that comes out of the ground.

My way of thinking is...Wheather they[oil refiners] pump the oil out of the ground or take used oil from engines, the oil needs to go through the refining process, additives and testing in order to meet a specification.

Some batches may need more additives in order to meet that spec. There should be some money savings on re-cycled oil because the oil company's don't have to do the drilling or the surveys to find the oil.

And too, where are the oil companys getting this oil. Are they getting it for free/cheap from all of the used oil we as customers dump at our local parts store?

Well before it is refined it comes out of the ground dirty.

So I guess what difference does it make if they refine it and clean up the used oil.

I am bummed that the price isn't alot cheaper.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
they claim its as good as new conventional oil. Would you trust it?

Yes, in that it passes the required tests to get the API starburst.
I wouldn't buy it unless it was ~$1.00 cheaper per quart than a corresponding conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
IMO the recycled oil may be a better quality than virgin oil. I guarantee that the used oil in the drums at the auto parts stores and what not are of better quality than the crude oil that comes out of the ground.

Interesting point. I read awhile back (maybe years) on BITOG that 10% of motor oil sold in the US is synthetic. If that is true then I would assume that 10% of the recycled oil prior to re-refining is synthetic. Would that translate into 10% of the final product of the re-refined oil being synthetic base stock?

Edit: I am asking because I really do not know the details of the re-refining process and its affect on base stock.

Last edited:
NextGen only contains 50% recycled base stock, so the possible average percentage of syn base stock would be 5%. Some batches may be higher, some lower. I don't think there is any way to tell how much synthetic is in there. Since waste oil is not segregated into con and syn at the recycling facilities, there is no definite way of assuring a 100% recycled syn oil could be made.

Nexgen is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Base oil is base oil. Either go all conventional or all re-refined. To go 50% re-refined and say your "Green" is ridiculous. Motor oil is 855 base oil and 15% additives. Valvoline didn't want to go straight re-refined because that's been on the market for a long time. You want "Green" take a look at Green Earth Technoligies G-Oil. API-SN rated and a full bio-based synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Napalm76
Nexgen is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Base oil is base oil. Either go all conventional or all re-refined. To go 50% re-refined and say your "Green" is ridiculous. Motor oil is 855 base oil and 15% additives. Valvoline didn't want to go straight re-refined because that's been on the market for a long time. You want "Green" take a look at Green Earth Technoligies G-Oil. API-SN rated and a full bio-based synthetic.

Err... what? Smoke and mirrors? So you're basically saying that we should not used recycled engine oil unless we can use 100% recycled oil. That it's useless to make some progress, because we can't go all the way in one step? and you call that smoke and mirrors? I call shenanigans on this too. There is more than one way to be green. Maybe Safety-Kleen couldn't supply Valvoline with as much re-refined oil as would be needed to produce a 100% recycled product for mass market. Just speculation, but saying we shouldn't do 50% is just silly. There is no reason why we can't have many "green" oils on the market and have them complete.

I'd use recycled oil without worries if it was approved for my vehicle and wouldn't cost more. It costs more than my usual conventional, so I'm not jumping to change. I'm a creature of habit. I go buy my black bottles at my usual part store since the price is consistently the lowest when NOT on sale.

Nobody is saying not use re-refined oil but to try and say that your 50% re-refined oil a is "Green" oil because you use re-refined oil mixed with your conventional oil is ridiculous. Ask Valvoline where they get their re-refined base oil from. My guess is that it is from Safety Kleen which has been marketing a 100% re-refined oil for years. Yes, there is room for many "Green" oils but maybe someone needs to figure out what "Green" really is.

Originally Posted By: Napalm76
Nobody is saying not use re-refined oil but to try and say that your 50% re-refined oil a is "Green" oil because you use re-refined oil mixed with your conventional oil is ridiculous. Ask Valvoline where they get their re-refined base oil from. My guess is that it is from Safety Kleen which has been marketing a 100% re-refined oil for years. Yes, there is room for many "Green" oils but maybe someone needs to figure out what "Green" really is.

I believe you have already made that determination. It would seem that an oil that is 50% recycled is so far out of what you could call "green" as to be called ridiculous. What about 51%? or 65%? what about 90%? would that be OK with you? Where people draw the line is up to them, and while I respect that would rather have a more green oil, I don't share your opinion. I think 50% is a step in the right direction. This is the first step any major oil blender as taken in making a recycled product for the consumer market. I think it's great! I hope this starts a trend of making greener oils. I just think it's unreasonable to expect to reach the finish line in the first leg of the race. Let this trend continue and we'll see if other blenders get into the market and compete for market share.

I myself just picked up 4 quarts of NG5-30 for use in after I use some G-Oil in my next oil change.

G-Oil was free after rebate.

Next Gen was $2.99 a quart at O'Reilly today.

Gonna be my first time using Dino in my Honda, but it will probably get this from now on if the rebates or sales keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back