06 Tundra 10K mi, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, RP filter w/PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Back yet again with the latest installment in this series of UOAs.

The Royal Purple filter has really performed well - and is now at the top of the list of performers, just barely edging out the Mobil 1 M1-209.

The filter installed currently is a Fram XG-3600 that I installed at the request of another reader of this forum. I will of course report the results on it at 5K miles into the run - not sure if I will go the full 10K miles on it or not yet.

After the results of the currently installed Fram are reported, that will be the end of this series of reports, at least, on this vehicle. Funds are getting tight as I have two kids in private school, and also, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a third vehicle in my family's fleet, which is presently anticipated to be a second Tundra hopefully with the 5.7L V8. I will probably start a series of UOAs on that vehicle. I think I have gotten all useful data I can out of the series on the current Tundra. When I post the final UOA on the current vehicle, I will post my conclusions from this long series of tests.

As always, I welcome your comments and constructive criticisms.

2011_January_Tundra_Oil_Reports.jpg

"Wear metals continue to look great in this latest sample from the 4.7L in your Tundra. Steady metals are a sign of a normally wearing engine and that's exactly what we have here. The viscosity was normal for 5w/30 and no coolant, fuel or other harmful contaminants were found. Low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air filtration. the TBN was strong at 2.6 showing plenty of active additive left. The ISO Cleanliness Code was 16/15/12, which is a very clean reading for an engine oil. Another nice report at 81,467 miles."

Wow this is the UOA I wait for, love seeing the particle count. The lesson I take away, which is what most say on this site that as the filter ages ie. gets more particles in it, the better it filters and this is proven here. That RP is a good filter! It is just deciding when to change said filter out before it gets "too efficient" and causes restriction. Thank you very much for your UOA's and letting us see them. It teaches a lot but I know it isn't cheap. You da man!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Very difficult to see, anyway to clear the page up? The comments are not readable to me.

Use the 'tools' button on your browser and click on 'zoom'.

I enjoy your uoas !!!
thanks, Steve. Looking at the uoas other than warranty reasons oil changes, 10,000 mile with syn oil is the way to go. and proves any sooner is wasting $$$$

I would definitely run the oil to 10k if your driving pattern is the same(900+ miles a week?). All those 5k OCI's were way too early. Just keep an eye on the level, top off as needed, and keep driving. 10k interval should save a little money and time. TBN gives you an extra ~2k miles cushion in case you're a week or two late with the OCI.

PPM per 1k miles looks best with the 10k interval.

Your data is priceless. I can't help with the private school tuition, but I am willing to cover the cost of a couple UOAs to keep the 'data base' continuing.

Last edited:
The miles you drive I would do 12-13K OCIs for sure. Go 13K and do another UOA for Vis and TBN. A close friend is doing 15-16K with this same oil without a problem in his 03 Windstar.

Thats for the indepth reports.

That RP filter really filtered well.

Would be interesting to filter count on something like a Napa Gold, Carquest Blue or a something like a basic Fram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Thats for the indepth reports.

That RP filter really filtered well.

Would be interesting to filter count on something like a Napa Gold, Carquest Blue or a something like a basic Fram.

Why? The RP is clearly the top performer...

Personally? I wouldn't blame you if you stayed at 10k for a while to see if any numbers went south etc. Then, if things stay equal choose to go for another 3k miles before retesting on the NEXT OCI.

Either way, you are already getting your money's worth out of the oil changes reaching 10k.

I wouldn't change your filter unless the RP is smaller for your car and you ARE going to go several thousand miles longer. Then, perhaps using a larger capacity oil filter would be a good recommendation. Just my .02 cents.

EDIT: Re-reading the chart, you have already been doing this and things may even look BETTER. Definitely try going 15k and re-sampling at least one time. Then build on that. It looks like any of your filter choices are working well, but the RP seemed to perform the best. Interesting.

Last edited:
as for seeing the image better? Right click the image and click 'View Image' or something to that effect, or just hold your CTRL button and use your mouse's roller(you should have one these days) to zoom in/out.

Interesting results (over the course of all UOA done) and i stocked up on Amsoil filter because i thought they would filter the best
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Interesting results (over the course of all UOA done) and i stocked up on Amsoil filter because i thought they would filter the best
33.gif

It still is. You probably should seek out and read all the other threads on this study. While this, like the latest New Oil Filter Study post, are pretty impressive there are flaws.

Maybe so.... Blackstone's timing couldn't be any better, i just the results from the particle count on my recent UOA using the EAo15k filter. Don't want to thread jack so i'll update my UOA thread.

Originally Posted By: Artem
33.gif

They are more than good enough don't fret you probably would never tell the difference in the life of you engine.

I was going to suggest giving the Amsoil filter a 10K run, but he already did that, and the numbers got worse!
Guess the nut on the bottom is worth something

Thanks for sharing the data-great stuff

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back