06 Tundra 10K mi, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, RP filter w/PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since your'e sampling at 5K, why not really blow this thing out of the water and use a plain 'ole Puro Classic? Bet a lot of us would see we (including myself with a P1) have been wasting $ over the years.

Steve

The latest two filter particle counts are impossible. Particles greater than 2 microns went from 2247 at 5067 miles to 717 at 9996 miles? Uh, I think not. There's an error in the data somewhere. Probably a Blackstone foul-up.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Since your'e sampling at 5K, why not really blow this thing out of the water and use a plain 'ole Puro Classic? Bet a lot of us would see we (including myself with a P1) have been wasting $ over the years.

Steve

I too would love to see an El-Cheapo filter used in this test. I'd be willing to chip in a donation to help cover the costs, just to get that real world info.

Okay, now the wheels are turning. Can we get this man a Purolator Classic or another mid-range filter, Napa Gold/Wix etc?

I'm curious to see how it performs in such a consistent environment, for better or worse or same.

I think it's fairly obvious the best filters out there are Amsoil, K&N, Mobil1, and RP. Let's see a filter under $10 for once in this poster's application.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: btanchors
Brons2,

Why do you say impossible? Couldn't the filter get more efficient as it loads up?

This is what i am thinking, royal purple filter loaded up pretty fast. i would say a bit TOO fast. At 5000 it lets plenty of particles through, but at 10000 it seems like it really nearing its maximum filtering efficiency (i.e getting pretty much clogged up) because the numbers are fantastic. Mobil 1 says that their filters are good for 15000, amsoil for 25000 and royal purple for 12000, and from data it seems that they performed accordingly. so it really seems like 12000 is the maximum for RP filter. It would be interesting to run M1 to 15000 and see if it starts filtering as well as RP does at 10000.

I guess the lesson here is that the oversized filter is not always good especially if it is changed too soon. The size of the filter should be correlated with length of change intervals.

So, Publo, if the pore blockage test could skew the results, and people seem to be sceptical about visual ascertaining method of the New Oil Filter Study, should optical/laser particle count test be used instead? Should it be used in conjunction with another test as confirmation or optical particle count by itself is sufficient? I am thinking about using amsoil filter on my subaru transmission, which has a spin-on filter and hoping to see if the ATF will be cleaned up after i install amsoil filter and settle this matter once and for all
smile.gif
Yeah, right!
smile.gif

SO i need from you guys:
1) the correct test or tests
2) the lab that does those tests
3) approximate price of tests
4) comments on procedure

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back