Amsoil ASL 5w-30 - 8,500 - 2003 Honda Accord 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i'm at it again.
grin2.gif

This oil was used between 2 (two) different cars over the course of 8,500 miles.

4,000 miles in a 2007 Honda Civic Si 2.0L K series engine. (80,000 miles)
4,500 miles in a 2003 Honda Accord 2.4L K series engine. (185,000 miles)

The HAMP oil filter from the Si was recycled and used in the Accord.

1/2 a quart was added during my 4k run in the Si.
1/2 a quart was added during the oil change into the Accord, to top things off. (i wouldn't have added any oil if enough oil was obtained from the Si (only 4q came out and the Accord needs 4.5q))

on to the UOA...

Amsoil8500Accord24L.jpg

The Sodium came from the drain pan which i thought i cleaned rather well after having used it to catch coolant during a radiator change on a previous car.

I now have a second New pan i'll use only for engine oil during my future experiments.

I refilled my neighbors Accord with another fill of Amsoil ASL after 2,000 miles in the Si (winter run) and after seeing these results from the UOA, the Blackstone window sticker says to come back in 8k.
35.gif
34.gif

He does mostly city, bumper to bumper driving with a TON of starts per day (taking sis to and from school, food run, errands, school, work, recreational, etc etc, no road trips) so the next UOA might be a while...

27.gif

Not bad at all, for going between 2 cars, getting coolant residue in it, and having fuel thin it out...results are pretty impressive, actually!

The obligatory "it would have been cheaper to just use new oil and filter in the Accord for 4500 miles than get a worthless UOA" post.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not bad at all, for going between 2 cars, getting coolant residue in it, and having fuel thin it out...results are pretty impressive, actually!

Haha
lol.gif
well the way you put it, the results are actually pretty decent given my HARD driving style and engine modifications (all dyno tuned and has a higher Rev Limit of 8,700RPM vs the factory 8k)

as well as being used in another engine with severe driving conditions as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Picture of the new Rev Limit... Yes i started abusing the car since it left the dealer with 3 Miles on it.

l_5e4ecba6b3c93d41320eef3ad828bd4f.jpg

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The obligatory "it would have been cheaper to just use new oil and filter in the Accord for 4500 miles than get a worthless UOA" post.

It would have been cheaper to run Supertech and a Fram filter and just call it a day... so what?

I want to test how good Amsoil's products are but do not want to use my car as the test mule because i have $4,000 invested in Engine modifications alone.

This is the reason in Recycling what many would say is perfectly good oil and using the UOA as a tool/guide to determine how much life remains in the oil after such abuse for further use.

Now tell me, is my testing procedure that flawed and immoral? I plan to work my way up to Safe 15K intervals, getting my money's worth

Good report, unorthodox use but your getting your money's worth on a quality product!

^Many have called me crazy for doing this but i refuse to throw away such expensive and perfectly good oil.

My Neighbor doesn't seem to mind and even pays for the oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Artem
^Many have called me crazy for doing this but i refuse to throw away such expensive and perfectly good oil.

Your methodology is spot on. Ignore the local morons and systemic retardation of not understanding the big picture.

You took precautions, measured to affirm your precautions, analyzed the results and adjusted accordingly. In NO way have you violated the scientific method and I'd have no issue with hearing you out if I were looking for advice based on your UOA (if it were mine).

What is Zn and P levels for ASL? I don't see how this isn't API rated save for the costs associated to certifying a synthetic base stock (especially if your stock supplier changes). If everything is SM, SN, SL spec'd what is everyone so worried about?

Originally Posted By: pcfxer

Your methodology is spot on. Ignore the local morons and systemic retardation of not understanding the big picture.

You took precautions, measured to affirm your precautions, analyzed the results and adjusted accordingly. In NO way have you violated the scientific method and I'd have no issue with hearing you out if I were looking for advice based on your UOA (if it were mine).

What is Zn and P levels for ASL? I don't see how this isn't API rated save for the costs associated to certifying a synthetic base stock (especially if your stock supplier changes). If everything is SM, SN, SL spec'd what is everyone so worried about?

As the local moron or a systematic retard or whatever, I think the "experiment" is sound, but not the "big picture".

Unless there was a problem with eiter car the UOA would come back sound, since it's really no different than running the oil 8000 miles in either of those cars and the oil and engine can definitely do it (problem being you wouldn't know which car was the problem). There is no shortage of K series UOA on this site, search JoeFromPA for starters and I think you'll find a lot on the SI's abilities. All this "idiot" would point out is that it would net the same result and require half the labor to just use ASL for 8000 miles in the Accord and Civc at no additional cost. Actually, if you're willing to put "used" oil in I don't see why you wouldn't run an oil like that 12,000 miles before getting an analysis at least on the Accord, and the SI can probably do that as well.

I suppose the benefit of this is you can put nice fresh new oil into the car you like, and not feel guilty about wasting old oil you know is perfectly fine. But that isn't science, that's feelings and emotion being applied to an inanimate object. Are you happy? Then success. Is it cold and you're sick of changing oil? Well rest assured you can go much further on a great oil in an engine with tons of long OCI potential.

Last edited:

Thank you for the Compliment and understanding!
thankyou2.gif

As the local moron or a systematic retard or whatever, I think the "experiment" is sound, but not the "big picture".

Unless there was a problem with eiter car the UOA would come back sound, since it's really no different than running the oil 8000 miles in either of those cars and the oil and engine can definitely do it (problem being you wouldn't know which car was the problem). There is no shortage of K series UOA on this site, search JoeFromPA for starters and I think you'll find a lot on the SI's abilities. All this "idiot" would point out is that it would net the same result and require half the labor to just use ASL for 8000 miles in the Accord and Civc at no additional cost. Actually, if you're willing to put "used" oil in I don't see why you wouldn't run an oil like that 12,000 miles before getting an analysis at least on the Accord, and the SI can probably do that as well.

I suppose the benefit of this is you can put nice fresh new oil into the car you like, and not feel guilty about wasting old oil you know is perfectly fine. But that isn't science, that's feelings and emotion being applied to an inanimate object. Are you happy? Then success. Is it cold and you're sick of changing oil? Well rest assured you can go much further on a great oil in an engine with tons of long OCI potential.

grin2.gif
Funny post, thanks for the laugh.

I guess the reason for such "abnormal" oil change procedures is because at heart, i'm a 3k OCI kinda guy (using the best synthetic money can buy) and its been EXTREMELY hard for me to break that habit.

well, i guess i still haven't completely cured myself of that habit yet because im still changing the oil every 3k in my Si
27.gif

I know JoefromPA, he's a member on the 8thcivic forum and i've talked to him about his 15K OCIs in his Si. He uses the car as his daily and plans to sell it soon.

I plan to keep mine for a while to come and besides being my somewhat daily driver, i track the car quite often (time attack) so it seems a TON of abuse, on top of the street torture i put it through.
I want the engine to last as long as possible before having to rebuild.

I plan to keep upping the OCIs until i reach a point where the oil needs changing.

One day, i'll pour NEW oil into my neighbors Accord, until then... im recycling.
grin2.gif
I've actually been doing it for quite a while now with M1 EP running it for 6k total between the 2 cars and only recently started doing UOA thanks to this site.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amazing! I would just been so paranoid about the catch pan.

Other than that I'm speechless. Way to go.

Carry on.

I wipe it down quite well if i plan to recycle oil thats draining into it. I don't know how this oil got a little contaminated.
21.gif

I don't get this quote. if i was to use NEW oil and filter in the Accord, i wouldn't be dumping it after ONLY 4,500 miles. The factory OCI in the Accord is longer then that, even with Dino oil.

Call it a "worthless" UOA is very UN-BITOG.
spankme2.gif

Call it a "worthless" UOA is very UN-BITOG.

FWIW I agree completely. BITOG is very much about the sharing of UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back