Mitsubishi Diamond SP substitute today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I have a '92 Mitsubishi Diamante (here in Europe called Sigma) with automatic transmission. The tranny is from a '95 model, because the original one died a few months ago. Both type F4A33.

My question is quite simple: what kind of ATF should I use in this tranny?

The users manual says I have to use Mitsubishi Diamond/Dia Queen SP. But I cannot buy it nowadays, it's discontinued for a long time.
I have found out that the old Diamond SP was totally equal with the old Mopar ATF +3, but I'm not really sure. Is it true?

A workshop for the F4A33 tranny also says i must use Type 7176 fluid, which is technically ATF +3.

But nowadays, neither can be bought, so my question is which fluid should I use, ATF +4, or Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III?
Is the SP-III backwards compatible with the original SP? Or should I use ATF +4 becaues its compatible with ATF +3?

I hope you can help me. Thanks.

SP-III (also sold by Hyundai under a similar name) is fine to replace SP, AFAIK. I've heard plenty of info saying that ATF+4 can be used as a substitute with no issues.

Thanks for the info bro!

The only thing that annoys me is that on multivehicle atf-s for example Valvoline Maxlife ATF, only SP-II and SP-III are listed on the compatibility list.

Btw maybe I am really overthinking this, currently I use dexron III without any problems so far. But i would be happier to use the correct type of fluid..:)

SP-III would be the best because it's quite cheap compared to the ATF +4 in my country.
But I still have doubts...:)

LOL
laugh.gif

the SP-x to me is a way to get you back into the mitsu dealer for their "special" atf, which is ATF +3/4.
A lot of chrysler/dodge/plymouth vehicles use mitsu tranny's and cross share across the board.
If you bought a Dodge with a mitsu tranny.. it spec's for ATF +3
BUT if you bought the mitsu car, it'll spec SP-3.

So SP-III and ATF +4 are very similar, and both suitable for this old tranny, good to know:)

I will use SP-III because it's easier to get and cheaper here.

Thanks!

EricF is somewhat correct. Here is a Chrysler TSB that discusses the issue. This is for the Mitsubishi made sebring and stratus coupes that call for DS spIII

NUMBER: 21-003-02
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: Jul. 29, 2002
SUBJECT:
ATF+4 Usage
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin provides information about ATF+4 usage in ST22 models.
MODELS:
2001 - 2003 (ST) Sebring/Stratus Coupe
DISCUSSION:
ATF+4 (type 9602) is approved for use in Sebring/Stratus Coupe power steering and automatic transaxles. The fluid is fully compatible in power steering systems and no additional maintenance information is required. When using ATF+4 in automatic transaxles, the following information is required for proper service and maintenance.
SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
When using ATF+4 as a complete fill in Sebring/Stratus Coupe models, the maintenance for schedule A is changed to a 60,000 mile fluid replacement interval. Schedule B remains the same as listed in the owners manual. The owner should be notified about this schedule change when ATF+4 is used as a complete fill.
NOTE: USING ATF+4 FOR TOP OFF WILL NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FACTORY FILL OR ORIGINAL MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE.
GENERAL SERVICE FILL
ATF+4 is fully compatible for top off or for any transaxle service procedures that would require fluid fill or fluid replacement. Special considerations are required if a new torque converter is installed.
TORQUE CONVERTER REPLACEMENT
If a new torque converter is installed, ATF+4 can be used however, green torque converter shudder MAY be experienced. If green torque converter shudder is experienced, it will be eliminated over time as the torque converter clutches wear or burnish in. If shudder occurs, the vehicle can be driven (in torque converter partial lockup) until the condition is eliminated. If customer concerns arise due to green torque converter shudder use the following procedure.
NOTE: TO ELIMINATE ANY CONCERNS OF GREEN TORQUE CONVERTER SHUDDER, THE TRANSAXLE CAN BE FILLED WITH DIAMOND SPIII FLUID PN 05073942AA DURING THE INITIAL FILL.

A '92 diamante should have the engine on the left,and seem to work well with Dexron III,although I used to add Lubeguard black.The '95 diamante has the engine on the right,and has the Tiptronic trans,we always use SPIII in these.

Wow Ross, thanks, then now I'm absolutely sure about this issue. This can be used as a reference at many 3000GT and Dodge Stealth forums as well, where quite a lot of people are still confused about this. Maybe I will link this topic there.

Silk: both Diamantes have the 6G72 engine with the (almost) same F4A33 tranny. The only major difference between the '92 and the '95 tranny was that the driveshafts were different, maybe 27 teeth and 25 teeth. But it's compatible. I guess the european models only came with the 3.0 V6 6G72 engine, in SOHC and DOHC versions.

The second generation Diamante with different engines and trannys came to Europe after 1996.
But you're right, in the US the second generation was introduced in 1995 according to the wikipedia, well, I don't know:)

We get the Japanese ones here,they get new models before other markets.For some reason there are very few Diamante's here from '91 to 94,they almost stop at 1990.Most were DOHC in 2.5 and 3.0,later models were SOHC.I had a very high spec '90 Diamante with the DOHC 6G72 engine few several years,it was a great car and gave very little trouble....after I replaced the engine and had the computers upgraded.

Yeah, then it's just the opposite here in Hungary. There are a few dozen first generation diamantes from '91-'96, but I think the second generation was not imported to Europe.

I also have a high spec 3.0 DOHC one with everything that was available that time except ECS and 4WS, it's a great car, I love it, but getting parts for it is a real pain everytime.

I hope the actual tranny will last for a few years..:)

Last edited:
I have two mitsubishi made chrysler sebrings that call for spIII in the trans and power steering. About 4 years ago, another member here researched this issue with his local chrysler dealership. He posted alot of info that the dealership gave him that showed the two fluids (atf+4 and DS spIII) while not exactly the same, are close enough to substitue for one another.

I found this older TSB and there is a newer one that covers all mitsubishi made chrysler products up to 2005 that originally called for DS spIII.

I have exchanged all the spIII in both by cars with atf+4 about 4 years ago. So far, I can't tell the differance. The TSB indicates that you can also extend the service intervals when using atf+4.

I would not use atf+4 in newer Mitsubishi and Hyundi cars under warranty

I had also talked to my local chrysler dealership and they said that they didn't stock spIII and automatically used atf+3 or 4 When doing service on mitsu products.

I can only conclude that atf+4 is a great alternative for mitsu products calling for spII or spIII.

I use the WM atf+4 for $3.77/quart

Yeah, and it's quite logical that if the original filling was atf+3 called Diamond SP and atf+4 is compatible, then the very similar SP III must be also compatible.
Great!:)

Plus, ATF+4 has one nice benefit: it's very tightly regulated by Chrysler. Any approved brand is basically identical, and functions the same, as they have a choice of 2 base stocks (both GIII synth, AFAIK) and one additive package to use. You can just buy whichever is cheapest, available locally and on the Chrysler official list (AAP house brand for me, unless I feel like making a trip to Wal-Mart), and know it's just as good as the expensive stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back