2007 Camry 2.4 (2AZ-FE) - Amsoil 0W-20: 9,883

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA ever, and I'm pleased with the results. Air filter is a K&N factory replacement filter. I went with NAPA gold oil filters, changed every 5K. 1/2 quart of makeup oil added. My goal was to see if a 10K interval was fine for this car.

Put the oil in in July, and drained it last week this November. This was my first time doing any sort of drain interval past 5K, so it was hard for me to accept oil going any further.

This was all for my mom's daily driven car. Which sees mostly city driving and some highway miles.

Any input would be great! Thanks!

- Stephen

07CamryUOA.jpg

Last edited:
I would change out the K&N air filter to OEM Toyota air filter, K&N filter is known to pass dirt into the engine. NAPA gold oil filter is good for 10k miles or more, another good oil filter for 10k miles is Purolator Pure One oil filter. Amsoil and with either NAPA gold or Purolator Pure One can easily go the distance, without changing oil filter at middle of OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would change out the K&N air filter to OEM Toyota air filter, K&N filter is known to pass dirt into the engine. NAPA gold oil filter is good for 10k miles or more, another good oil filter for 10k miles is Purolator Pure One oil filter. Amsoil and with either NAPA gold or Purolator Pure One can easily go the distance, without changing oil filter at middle of OCI.

I'll keep the K&N in mind. Any reasons why the K&N does a worse job protecting against sodium?

Thanks for the info on leaving the filter on for the full 10K!

The sodium was from previous oil used.Not the air filter.Silcates was from the air filter(grit and dirt) K&N filters allow more air and more DIRT to get into a engine.Throw that K&N in the trash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chim55117
The oil I had used before was Valvoline OW-20. Anyone know if they use sodium as an additive?

Looks like people aren't a big fan of the K&N's.

Pretty sure Valvoline does use Sodium. I agree, ditch the K&N and get a factory air filter. Looks good though.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Chim55117
The oil I had used before was Valvoline OW-20. Anyone know if they use sodium as an additive?

Looks like people aren't a big fan of the K&N's.

Pretty sure Valvoline does use Sodium. I agree, ditch the K&N and get a factory air filter. Looks good though.

Valvoline conventional and SynPower does use sodium as a detergent. While some people have reported an increase in silicon with K&N filters, I saw a decrease in my UOA. Make sure you have a good seal on your air filter and that it's correctly oiled. I've seen good results.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
While some people have reported an increase in silicon with K&N filters, I saw a decrease in my UOA. Make sure you have a good seal on your air filter and that it's correctly oiled. I've seen good results.

That is one of the problems that many users failed to do.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
While some people have reported an increase in silicon with K&N filters, I saw a decrease in my UOA. Make sure you have a good seal on your air filter and that it's correctly oiled. I've seen good results.

That is one of the problems that many users failed to do.

OP, just wanted to point out that if you get and use a factory air filter, do not put oil on it. Like most air filters, it's meant to be run dry. I've had good luck with both STP and Fram air filters.

I've heard of MAF sensor issues when using an oiled air filter, so I stay away from them.

Two oil filters that will go the 10k you're looking for are the M1 filter and the Fram Extended Guard filter.

Excellent report! I agree with going with a paper air filter. Doesn't have to be OEM (meaning from the dealer). I use FRAM or Purolator paper air filters.

Yes, Valvoline does use sodium in their oils.

Go with the paper air filter, leave the NAPA gold on for the full 10k and your 10k oci's are dreamy
20.gif

^I have X2 on trashing the K&N. I personally use NAPA Gold air filters in my cars and the UOA show excellent filtration.

However, some will swear by the K&N air filters.

K&N air filters are supposed to be centered around performance. For a daily driven road warrior that isn't looking for the extra air flow, you'll probably see as good or better results with a different high quality filter, even if it sacrifices a small amount of immediate air flow through the filter. I seemed to see a decrease in mpg's after I put the K&N in there. I don't see a real need for it, especially if you're risking greater particulate consumption and/or oil+MAF issues.
In fact, if the motor can't use any more air or isn't designed to consume more in it's OE setup, it can show negative effects.

Try a Napa Gold or something and see if you can find any notable variances on this particular application.

I would agree that user error is responsible for many of the K&N claims. But either way they are still many times more likely to be problematic than a regular filter, so the question remains...Why?

K&N air filters are junk. this has been proven time and time again on other forums as well.They simply let an excessive amount of dirt by. JMHO

No comment on the air filtration. The only thing I can say is Amsoil is one stout oil. Worth every dollar you pay. Very low wear for that Oci. Great report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back