2006 Tundra, M1 5W-30EP, Royal Purple Filter w/PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again, but with a twist this time - the Royal Purple's filter results were fantastic judging from the Particle Counts!

I was considering stopping the testing after this UOA, as the results were getting pretty boring, but look at the Particle Count results for the Royal Purple 20-400 filter compared to all the others!

2010_October_Tundra_Oil_Reports.jpg

Given the excellent TBN retention, plus the fact that I have lots of other things going on, I am leaving the same oil and filter on the truck and running it to 10K miles, at which time I will have another UOA done with particle counts. Then, perhaps we can see if this was a fluke or perhaps I have found the holy grail of oil filters. Coments?

That is almost hard to believe, I've never seen a particle count drop like that...shoot I've never seen a particle count that low PERIOD w/out a by-pass system of some kind. A filter that works like that is worth every cent. Please do one more to see if it was a fluke, because if not, it probably IS the "holy Grail" of oil filters.

Try running the toyota filter. The OEM filter from Toyota is impressive, especially if the "Big" size yoda filter will fit on your truck. I use the PART #15600-41010 on my landcruiser, which lets me get an extra 1/2 qt in the cycle.

Nice motor. Interesting,as always. A true Shocker! Dadgum,I may have to get me one of them Purple Cans!

Very interesting!

As an aside, I wonder why the Tin (and to a lesser degree Lead) popped up this round. Tin popped up once before at the 45K mile mark.

I also note a very low relative Zinc reading - is the filter trapping Zinc?

CougarRed -

I noticed the spike in Tin as well. I have no idea what is causing that. Although lead was up slightly, it's identical to the Universal Averages, so I am not concerned about it.

It occurred to me over the weekend to compare the current Particle Counts with the VOA I did of Mobil 1 5W-30EP I did nearly a couple years ago. See that VOA here.

The VOA Particle Count is remarkably similar to the Particle Count for the current sample. I wonder if a mix-up occurred in the lab. At any rate, I will definitely do another PC when I reach 10K miles.

From the looks of it, the RP filter was 100% effective against foreign particles greater than or = to 15 microns, and 98.3% against foreign particles between 2-14 microns:

281 vs. 277 at 2+ micron
104 vs. 102 at 5+ micron
29 vs. 28 at 10+ micron
11 vs. 11 at 15+ micron
2 vs. 2 at 25+ micron

So how do the UOA testers come up with the "ISO Particle Count" efficiency info on the oil filters used?

Originally Posted By: btanchors
............I noticed the spike in Tin as well. I have no idea what is causing that. Although lead was up slightly, it's identical to the Universal Averages, so I am not concerned about it........

Did you do some towing?

SubLGT -

I did do some towing, but no more or no less than I did during the other OCIs. In addition, the trailer I tow is less than 2500 pounds when it is fully loaded, and it is only towed for a couple of miles at a time (small lawn mowing business). The truck is rated to tow about 6700 pounds.

Perhaps the RP filter is too restrictive, and going into significant bypass when the oil is cool or cold, allowing unfiltered oil to reach your bearings??? Hence the spike in lead and tin.

I have a few hundred miles to go yet on my OCI with a RP filter and will be getting a PC with the UOA, so we'll see how my 5.4L Ford tracks with your Toyota. I'll be running 8.5K miles, though. I won't be changing the oil, however. As an experiment, I'll be installing a new 1U bypass filter setup on the engine to see if it can clean up the oil even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back